Best model year for fusion hybrid?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 07:11 PM
Enthusiast
Smile Best model year for fusion hybrid?

Hello,

I currently own a FEH 2008 111,000 miles and still going strong. I'm looking to add a new to me car next year and I'm thinking about a fusion. I've had really good results with my Escape and I like Ford's reliability. What is your opinion on buying a used Ford Fusion? Which model year is the best for mileage and reliability? My max I plan to spend is 20k.

Thanks!

Old 05-15-2015, 07:18 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Best model year for fusion hybrid?

Just to add additional detail- I have a much longer commute now @ 80 mi/day and I'm looking for a sedan with 40+mpg.

Old 05-16-2015, 04:11 AM
Active Enthusiast

Any of the 2010-12 Ford, Mercury or Lincoln hybrids. They are a better car than the 2013+ models which are a completely different car. There are a few TSBs on some of them which were software updates and Ford can tell you if they were done by referencing the VIN number. They take 15 minutes to do. They all have moonroofs, rear view cameras, CTA and BLIS which alert you to hazards out of view and "puddle lights" that shine down from the outer rear view mirrors. They are luxury car equiped. You don't need the NAV option as it's expensive to upgrade the maps and a portable GPS is much cheaper but there is otherwise nothing wrong with the NAV model and it's hands free operations are more numerous.
The 2013+s have some problems. Early models had AC ducting behind the dash that could collect water and cause mold problems. The whole dash has to be removed to replace it. There have been a few early transmission failures of unknown origin covered by warranty. There should be none. The 2013+s only get 3 mpg better mileage at best.
There were only 70,000 2010-12s made.
The taxi fleets have operated the FEH over 200 K miles. If you have the newer brushless MEC pump, keep the HVB cooling air filter clean, they should go a long time.
The 2010-12s don't have auxiliary AC cooling for the HVB, only a fan. They have less maintenance.
The mpg leader is the Prius but you might not want to commute that far in one. The FFH is a very comfortable road car. High speeds and cold weather will cut the mpg of the FFH to slightly below 40 mpg particularly in the winter.
I'd look for a 2012 low mileage FFH but any year and make is OK. They were all made at Hermosillo, Mex. and are essentially identicle.
I have a 2010 FFH that I got in 7/09 with 72K miles. I live in SW FL, an ideal hybrid climate and my lifetime mpg is 40 mpg. Farther north would be a little less.

Last edited by lolder; 05-16-2015 at 04:18 AM.
Old 05-18-2015, 06:45 AM
Active Enthusiast

The TSBs are:
11-7-31 for reprogramming PCM to eliminate false overheat warnings
10-17-11 for nuisance instrument panel light warnings
10-15-5 for random instrument panel mode resets
09-13-9 for software glitch causing speedometer failure

There is also a "Customer Satisfaction" item 10B 13 for random computer braking failures. This should have been a recall but wasn't. The brake system monitor would sense a false failure of the system and revert to normal power assisted mechanical braking. The problem was you had to push about one inch FARTHER DOWN on the pedal. Those who encountered it at first thought they had lost all braking.

Later models probably don't need any of these.

Old 10-05-2016, 01:38 PM
Active Enthusiast

I will have to agree. the 1st Gen Fusion Hybrids are still by far the better Fusion Hybrid and more reliable and all.

My wife is still driving it and we encounter no problems still...just the regular maintenance and stilll getting 5.7-6.3L/100km average in City...and 5.7L/100km highway solid!

Feel free to ask any additional questions...