Best year MKZh

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 10:48 AM
Enthusiast
Default Best year MKZh

Hello. Doesn't look like this forum gets a whole lot of use but I will see what sort of response I get. I am considering purchasing a 2012 MKZh with 57k miles on it. There are very few used Lincoln hybrids to choose from in my area and my budget is best suited for a 2012, but wondering if anyone has a compelling argument to get the next generation, a 2013. A 2013 FFH is an option as well, but I really want as smooth and as quiet a ride as possible in a hybrid. Any response is greatly appreciated. I have had a Prius in the past and want an American hybrid this time around.
Thanks!

Old 05-01-2016, 10:05 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Best year MKZh

Originally Posted by WantaHybrid
Hello. Doesn't look like this forum gets a whole lot of use but I will see what sort of response I get. I am considering purchasing a 2012 MKZh with 57k miles on it. There are very few used Lincoln hybrids to choose from in my area and my budget is best suited for a 2012, but wondering if anyone has a compelling argument to get the next generation, a 2013. A 2013 FFH is an option as well, but I really want as smooth and as quiet a ride as possible in a hybrid. Any response is greatly appreciated. I have had a Prius in the past and want an American hybrid this time around.
Thanks!
Mirroring the Fusion in generations, the '12 is the last year of the first generation - the '13 is the 2nd generation. As with any used car, condition and maintenance/use history are key, and the warranty you get is a nice tie-breaker. The first generation is a bit quicker with the 2.5, but does use 10-15% more fuel than the 2nd. Styling is subjective, but I found the first generation a bit frumpy, and the battery packaging remarkably worse. The lack of fold-down rear seats and resulting reduced cargo versatility was important to me. Typical of the first year of a new generation, the '13 has had a worse repair record - although the plethora of recalls and TSBs should be all sorted by now on any vehicle you buy used.

Ultimately, your decision point is the trade-off between most current tech and getting a car in the right condition for the right price. Both are decent cars - it's the price and condition that makes more of a difference. For a given condition, I'd demand at least $3500 lower price for the older generation - but that's me.

Old 05-21-2016, 07:16 PM
Active Enthusiast

I think the '12 is a better, more reliable car than the '13+. The mpg is only a few worse. The '12s had some extras that the newer models didn't have. The NiMh HVB in the 12 has a longer history of success than the LiIons.

Old 09-12-2016, 11:18 AM
Enthusiast

Just a follow up post as I originally started this thread. After months of research, test drives, indecision, and doubt, I purchased a 2011 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid with a little less than 35k miles on it. I purchased it from a non-lincoln dealer for $14,850+taxes and fees. Been driving it for about 5 weeks now and I absolutely love it! It has a smooth, quiet ride. Plenty of pick up when I need it, and incredible gas mileage. The first two tanks of gas I went through I got 44.7mpg, and 44.1mpg. The first tank had almost zero freeway driving while the second tank had about 15%freeway driving. My normal work commute is 28 miles each way if I stay on surface streets, or 32 miles if I take the freeway. The freeway route is about 9 minutes faster IF there are no accidents or slowdowns, but I almost always take the surface streets. Speed limits are from 35 to 55 on that route with a couple of blocks of 25mph too. I drive the speed limit or +5 depending on the stretch of road. I am conscious of stop signs and upcoming lights but don't usually drive in full "Hybrid Driver" mode to achieve the 44mpg. I really like the look of this model year and appreciate the interior layout. The ventilated seats are super comfortable and the stereo system sounds great. Sync took a few days to figure out but I am all connected now. Overall I am very happy with my purchase. I drove a 2010 PriusIV for a year(put 36K miles on it)a few years back and really was unhappy with the ride and the interior noise. I drove a lot of freeway miles that year and the mileage ended up averaging about 40mpg. I am sure that my mpg on the MKZ will fall when the snow starts falling(I live in SE Michigan), will keep you all posted.