Break peddle question

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 05:25 AM
Enthusiast
Default Break peddle question

Hi All,
I have had my FFH since the end of April after ordering in March. I get great mileage and really enjoy the ride. I have one annoyance. My break peddle sits about an inch closer to the driver relative to the gas peddle. My foot is also big enough, size 13 - yes really big, to go up and behind a wall that hides electronics. When I lift my foot from the gas to the break, the top of my foot will often bang into the wall. The space between the wall and the break peddle is too tight in my book.
Anyone noticed this or do I have a one off issue?
Thanks
TeichRA

Old 07-03-2009, 01:16 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Break peddle question

Hi TeichRA,

I think know what you're talking about. I've actually been lucky enough to have driven two FFH's. We test drove the first one that showed up in our area in early April (we already had ours on order in March).

So how to describe it... I noticed in the FFH that I got to test drive that there was a black plastic(?) rounded panel that sits just below and down from the steering column on the inside of the knee panel? It sits basically right above/behind the top of your foot if your foot is on the brake pedal? I noticed that there wasn't a whole lot of wiggle room when switching between the go pedal and the stop pedal, and I bumped into that panel a couple of times, and even gave it a good look when we got out of the car at the end of the test drive. I could swear though, that in our FFH that panel does not protrude anywhere near as much as it did in the one we test drove, as I have not noticed it or bumped it yet in our car, while wearing the same 11.5W shoes mind you.

People may think I'm crazy, but I think there may be some differences in the placement or protrusion of that rounded panel in some FFH's. For what it's worth the FFH we test drove did not have navigation, it was a 501A. The FFH we ordered and now have and love is a 502A with the works.

Old 07-03-2009, 07:07 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default brake pedal

The correct words to use are brake pedal.

Old 07-03-2009, 09:21 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: brake pedal

Originally Posted by cwerdna
The correct words to use are brake pedal.

That was uncalled for. If you knew what the post was talking about, why must you feel obligated to correct?

Old 07-03-2009, 10:30 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Todd1964
That was uncalled for. If you knew what the post was talking about, why must you feel obligated to correct?
Using the wrong word is one of my pet peeves on message boards. I see both of these mistakes very commonly.

Thanks for the . It seems you felt obligated to jump in.

Last edited by cwerdna; 07-04-2009 at 03:52 AM.
Old 07-04-2009, 08:30 AM
Enthusiast

I see it all the time too, but I grit my teeth and move on in life as there will be the time I need an answer to a question and the person I corrected may be the only one with the answer and since I P.O'd him/her they may not answer my question.
=============
Using the wrong word is one of my pet peeves on message boards. I see both of these mistakes very commonly.

Old 07-05-2009, 04:34 AM
Enthusiast

Well I seem to have found a way to completely change the subject. I stand corrected on the word usage. Spelling was never on of my strong points.

Now back to the subject. I looked more carefully by the pedals and the intruding piece of equipment was identified with "air Bag". When I take the car in for its 5K mile check, I will ask about its location. If it can't be moved forward by an inch, it might have to go altogether.

Old 07-05-2009, 05:08 PM
Enthusiast

Ah, yes! You are correct. It seems we all need a little reminding at times.

About the original post. I have only test driven the FFH twice (different vehicles). I stand 6' tall and I noticed if the seat was not back the full distance that my foot got hung up on the panel you speak of. However, I do like the seat as far back as possible, that along with size 11's did not pose to much of a problem for me.

Old 07-05-2009, 06:50 PM
cue
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by teichra
Well I seem to have found a way to completely change the subject. I stand corrected on the word usage. Spelling was never on of my strong points.

Now back to the subject. I looked more carefully by the pedals and the intruding piece of equipment was identified with "air Bag". When I take the car in for its 5K mile check, I will ask about its location. If it can't be moved forward by an inch, it might have to go altogether.
I believe this is the knee airbag, something unique to the FFH. I also have noticed that it's in a crappy location. I originally hit it all the time with my foot, but I adjusted my seating position and my foot position moved enough that it wasn't an issue any more.

I have to believe that the airbag hasn't been installed properly, position-wise. It's tight enough in mine that work boots would be a problem. I recall reading somewhere that a new owner found his was actually just taped in place, and he went into the dealership to get that sorted out.

When you go in, I'll guess that they can move it a bit, maybe enough for your needs.