My last Ford dealer maintenance service - Tune Up and Fuel Injector Cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 12:10 PM
Active Enthusiast
Cool My last Ford dealer maintenance service - Tune Up and Fuel Injector Cleaning

Hello everyone,

I will like to pick your brains today as I cannot stop thinking about my service I performed yesterday at the Ford dealership what the service advisor have recommend me to do.

Originally I brought in to the Ford service for a simple package called "The Works" which include oil/filter change and 82-point inspector with a report card.

When I pick up my car, the service advisor recommend me to do the following 2 services for my 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid @ 109850kms/68260 miles (I will also make my questions as such):

1) Fuel Injectors Cleaning Service for $249 + 13% taxes Canadian.

My Comments/Questions:

Ok at 110k (68260 miles) I can see it MIGHT make sense to do a service like this. However since our Hybrid combustion engine is running only 70% of the time, is it REALLY beneficial to do this service?

Will I run into a risk that the fuel injector cleaner will damage the seals/gaskets?

Do you think it is something good to be done for my FFH?

2) Full Engine Tune-Up for $262 plus 13% taxes Canadian.

My Comments/Questions:

This one gets a little tricky and I am concerned.

Per the Service Advisor the tune-up consist of:
- Spark Plugs Replacement (4 in our case)
- Re-programming of Powertrain Control Module (PCM)

Any comments about having to change my spark plugs at 68k miles? Is it due or not?

My BIG question is this...WHY PCM re-programming???

What's wrong with my original PCM programming?
Are they enhancing to make our Hybrid more efficient? Or otherwise...make it worse (more conservation to Ford's favor) so that they lower their risk of having to fix a HYBRID COMPONENT during warranty period to 100k miles?
Are they trying to re-program for the hybrid powertrain to run less-stressed so the battery, electric motor, ECU doesn't break down during the covered warranty period?

Bottom line I want to ask you all is that...do you suggest me do this re-programming of PCU?

I am getting excellent mileage of average 5.7L/100kms right now 41.3MPG in my opinion? Btw, is this a good fuel mileage for our FFH?

I will appreciate a lot if anyone can analyze the 2 services in detail for me that they recommended.

Am I getting ripped off that they are trying to take my money? Do I really need it?

Feels like I am...but I am not sure as my FFH is running very good now.

Please help analyze in detail thanks!

Old 04-25-2014, 04:37 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: My last Ford dealer maintenance service - Tune Up and Fuel Injector Cleaning

Do not have any of these services done at this time. Look at the maintenance schedule in the owners guide for the spark plugs. It's not at 68,000 miles. Change the oil and filters and follow the guide. Unless the car gives you a message, it doesn't need other service. These are scams. Cooling fluid changes are listed also. If the PCM update is free have it done. It should be done free if there is a Technical Service Bulletin ( TSB ) about it. Does your car display a large green car for three seconds on the left instrument panel when starting? Does the Trip summary list fuel used in hundredths of gallons or liters instead of tenths? If these aren't displayed, there's an update that should be free.

Last edited by lolder; 04-25-2014 at 04:44 PM.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator
Default Re: My last Ford dealer maintenance service - Tune Up and Fuel Injector Cleaning

lolder is correct about what the dealer is doing. If you use ANY major brand of gas, it will have enough detergent to keep the injectors clean. The spark plugs will go for quite a while longer. As noted above, check your owners manual for the correct mileage to change them.

I have put well over 200,000 miles on several of my cars without having the first injector clog up or require a "cleaning".

Old 05-06-2015, 12:45 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks to you both lolder nd GeorgiaHybrid.

I will definitely take a look and see if I am see the big green car and the hundredth of a liter.

I believe it is but I cannot be sure. It is mainly driven by my wife...so...

Will update once I know. Thanks again for all the tips...now the mileage is over 120,000 kms....40k more to go before I will most my Hybrid warranty too.