Need advice in thinking about buying a FFH

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 11:39 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Need advice in thinking about buying a FFH

Didn't see any response from you yet ChuckJ!

Anyway I also wanted my voice in my experience.

I happen to own an Accord Hybrid and 2010 FFH with all cherries on top both of them.

I couldn't be happier on both my purchases for different...but right reasons.

I will skip the Accord Hybrid here (unless you want me to voice here how much I love it so far) and move on to the Gen. 1 Ford Fusion Hybrid.

I couldn't be happier about this car so far...nor my wife!

It does have the promised fuel economy OR even better at times...given the right conditions! But in the real world on average (which is what everyone wants to here), I am getting nothing more than 5.7L/100kms during the summer months in Canada with full A/C and music on! Expect about 5.5L/100kms in City if you drive this Hybrid right optimally for fuel economy. But even if you push it, it will not go beyond 6.0L/100kms in most cases.

Winter just hit here about couple weeks ago in Toronto Ontario...so since the weather got a bit colder, it is now running at about 6.5L/100kms on average...never higher so far at few degrees below Celcius to few degrees above (like today).

This is my first American purchase for over 20 years now in my family. I remember back in 1984 when my family had our first car...it was Oldsmobile Cutless Ciera Brougham. Nice car but engine/transmission not so good...it stalls without warning, etc.

Nowadays especially the latest Fords for the past few years...all that bad vibe in gone. You only see good experiences from owner having pretty much trouble-free experience. Especially the Fusion and its Hybrid models...most owners are so happy with their trouble-free ownerships for the Gen. 1's. That deserves another chance from me to try American cars again. Good job Ford...you turned me over.

Now will it hold up for the next 10 years...so far I will think so....of course only time will tell but so far...it looks real good.

I got my FFH when it was 70k kilometers...and now I have over 88k and it has be sailing along absolutely trouble-free. The only things I did to it are:

1) Auto lamp didn't work and have potentially shorted and shortened the life of my 12V battery. Probably this is just a needle in the haystack...I haven't heard ANYONE having the issue I have. Just my bad luck but my friendly Ford dealer fixed all that for me (Markville Ford). Thumbs up for their great work but it potentially post me $400.00 to fix that...a lot of labor in troubleshooting this.

2) This leads to my 12V battery died at about 80k kilometers. I am certain this was the original battery that came with the car when it is was new. Changed that and all is well. All other problems was all due to this battery being dead (car won't start).

So in my opinion...the only thing you need to watch out mainly is to make sure the 12V battery under the hood is in EXCELLENT condition. Because if it is not, better have it replaced ASAP and I can assure you that the Fusion will have no problems.

Just did my maintenance last week with full report hard...the car is holding up very well with no issues at all.

The thing you will find most amazing are the brakes. In a FFH, be prepared that the pads will last you way over 10k kilometer and much more. My original brake pads still have 3/4 left...Front and Back! Rotors are in most prestine shape too...amazing and you will safe so much money on brakes alone!

Then in terms of creature comfort...find a base one or a loaded up like mine with everything...either way you will be spoiled with all the things you needed...for the price it is worth EVERY $$$....every penny...ANY TRIM!

The transition from EV to Engine is what they claimed....SEAMLESS...noise is minimal between both modes and from/to as well. The only time when noise becomes evident is when you demand significant power on demand...that's when the engine will make some noise that is very noticable...but there is certain a GO to it when that happens (floor 3/4 to the metal). For the most part, when you need the power...FFH is there for you with no issues!

But when you drive it normally like a Hybrid...it purrs all the time...quiet and smooth.

If you ask me about a down side to a Fusion Hybrid...then I can only think of these...so far:

1) You will find if you move away from a Gen 1 Camry, be prepared that the inside cabin will be a little bit smaller than wha tyou are used to. Fusion is definitely not as big as your existing Camry Hybrid in any dimensions. But it will sure sit 4 adults comfortably for hours and hours. 5 you will find a bit cramped at the back but still VERY tolerable because I have been there done that!

2) Truck space is a bit limited in comparison to your Camry, I think.

3) It is no V6 like the Accord Hybrid can give you....but it sure has ENOUGH power for most chores/tasks!

4) Glove compartment doesn't have a light

5) Sorry cannot think of anything more bad because this car is so good!

In conclusion...this car is worth every penny and fuel savings will add up quicker than any Hybrid out there now considering the performance/handling charactistics it has in this CLASS as sedans!

The new 2012 Camrys I heard good and bad things with regards to noises...trim quality issues and some mechanical problems that have now been addressed! It shows better numbers but no so sure in reality.

But one thing is for sure...what Ford claimed about the Fusion Hybrid in terms of the economy fuel numbers...it is dead on and in some aspects...BETTER and beats it by a margin.

Just drive this car like a Hybrid and you will see some amazing fuel saving numbers.

Will it last a long time...that we are yet to see (battery, worn-outs, trim, body, etc.) but time will tell.

Like I said, the future is looking good so far...and I don't see my FFH dying or degrading in anything anytime soon!

Next service due in another 8-10k kilometers!

If you have any other questions feel free to ask. I am more than happy to help here!

This is what the Forum is about...helping each other out while having fun and making a few friends here!

Old 02-19-2013, 01:57 AM
Enthusiast

If you really wanna to buy a luxury car then I must says that buy a ford fusion hybrid car. The 2013 ford fusion hybrid has a new four cylinder motor as well as a new lithium ion power supply that's more highly effective and less heavy than the past nickel-metal hydride power supply.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:22 AM
Enthusiast

We currently have a FFH (30,000 miles) and LOVE it. For the entire time we've had it we have averaged 38 MPH with a ratio of 55/45 city / highway. The best we've gotten on the highway is 44 and sometimes you can get 45 around town. Best mileage comes in the spring and fall when the air conditioning and heater isn't working hard. The car has good power and is very quiet and smooth. The only issue is no pass-through which has been corrected in the new model.

ChuckJ

Old 02-20-2013, 08:38 AM
Active Enthusiast
Cool Re: Need advice in thinking about buying a FFH

Thanks for the comments here. If there is anything I can help with this thread, let me know.

I am also loving the FFH as I brought for my wife because she feels the Accord Hybrid is a little too big to make her comfortable.

So I took over the Accord and bought her a Fusion Hybrid!

Right now, she is getting about 7.2L/100kms in harsh winter driving city only. At times she drives as fast as 80-90kms and the rest are traffic.

What do you tihnk of the numbers? Do you all get similar results?

I live in Toronto and Markham area, Ontario Canada.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:04 AM
Enthusiast

Dont!!

www.FordMPGFraud.com

Canada then for sure youll never see 47

Old 03-18-2013, 03:21 AM
Enthusiast

I will never own another Toyota, friend had crash and no air bags deployed. I had 1 gen Prius and wife did not like it. I now have 2010 FFH my long term mileage for 43,800 miles is 44.6 mpg. No problems to date car is solid no squeaks or rattles. The value holds better than the TCH. I cut my fuel use by more than half I am keeping the car for at least 15 yrs and can trust it to go anywhere any time.
My next or second car is going to be a Ford C Max Energy. Honda has had to many HVB problems. Any Hybrid is better than gas counter parts, at least then a person has control over their MPG.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:53 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DennisW
I will never own another Toyota, friend had crash and no air bags deployed. I had 1 gen Prius and wife did not like it. I now have 2010 FFH my long term mileage for 43,800 miles is 44.6 mpg. No problems to date car is solid no squeaks or rattles. The value holds better than the TCH. I cut my fuel use by more than half I am keeping the car for at least 15 yrs and can trust it to go anywhere any time.
My next or second car is going to be a Ford C Max Energy. Honda has had to many HVB problems. Any Hybrid is better than gas counter parts, at least then a person has control over their MPG.
Good moves Dennis.

ChuckJ

Old 03-20-2013, 12:26 PM
Enthusiast

I can chime in here, since I have owned an 07 Prius, 09 TCH, 10 FFH and a 13 FFH. If you want a car that will get dependable MPG as the sticker claims, like 43 on the Camry, or 41 on the 10-12 FFH, those are the cars to get. If you want a car that handles great, looks great, rides great, and has a ton of bells and whistles, and you dont really care if it gets 30% under its EPA sticker, then get the new Fusion.

The new Fusion is not a cold weather car, so if you live in the northern climes, dont expect to get out of the 30's. If you do a lot of highway driving, dont expect to get 40's in the new Fusion. Out of all the Hybrids I have driven, this one is the only one that I have not been able to get at or even near EPA in. I still own the 2010 FFH(thankfully) and Even in 28* temps with snrain, doing 65 MPH I can see 42-44 MPG in it. Last I checked, EPA is 36/41/39, so Doing quite well.

Hope this helps others decide on which car to get. The New Fusion is a really nice car, but dont get it if you are doing so to get good MPG/KPL.