Dimming the instrument / Navi panel at night

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 01:17 PM
Enthusiast
Default Dimming the instrument / Navi panel at night

I've heard some folks wondering how to dim the instrument panel/Navi screen at night.

Twist the reset **** on the instrument cluster... Works like a champ.

MAC

Last edited by mac1520; 11-11-2009 at 03:09 PM.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:31 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Dimming the instrument / Navi panel at night

Wow, that's a great tip. I have been searching for this in the manual but gave up too quickly maybe, never found a way to dim the lights. It's too bright especially at night travels you know.. Thanx for the tip.

Regards,
H Gro..

Old 09-22-2010, 08:04 PM
Enthusiast

I have to laugh. It took me an hour or so in the manual to find this out for my 2009 TCH. I drove into the garage and couldn't believe how bright panel lights were.

It sure wasn't obvious that was how to dim them but I did finally find it in the manual...

It would seem that should have been something that was explained right at the beginning of the manual. I have no idea how the previous owners stood to have the lights so bright.

Old 09-23-2010, 01:20 PM
Enthusiast

When I went to the dealer for an oil change, the salesman who sold me the car saw in the waiting area and we started to chat. I pointed that one detail out and he was horrified... (He really did an outstanding job of covering everything about the vehicle) A few days later he said he made that a point to show people from that point forward. Sometimes it's the simple things we miss. Most cars these days have neat little side features to make life easy, but we tend to overthink it sometimes... lol I don't study the owners manual for every detail, but am amazed how many things I didn't know (or never would have guessed) if I hadn't opened it up... Good stuff.

Cheers

Old 12-10-2010, 05:39 AM

I don't study the owners manual for every detail, but am amazed how many things I didn't know (or never would have guessed) if I hadn't opened it up... Good stuff.
I totally agree. Maybe it sounds a little geeky, and most of us probably put the manual in the glove box or door cubbyhole without ever opening it, but there really is a lot of good information in there. It's the goto place when you have questions. I also recommend downloading the pdf and save it to your desktop so it's just it's just a couple clicks away.

http://japanesegreencars.blogspot.co...rs-manual.html

Page 121 of the manual: [Anything in brackets is mine]

Instrument Panel Brightness

The **** on the instrument panel controls the brightness of the instrument panel lights. Turn the **** to adjust the brightness with the ignition switch in the ON (II) position and the parking lights on. [The **** is just to the right of the yellow low fuel indicator light and is referred to as the sel/reset **** (pg 72)]

When you turn the ****, the multiinformation display changes to vertical bars that show you the current level. You will hear a tone when you reach the maximum or minimum brightness. The brightness level goes out about 5 seconds after you stop adjusting.

To reduce glare at night, the instrument panel illumination dims when you turn the light switch to the [headlights] or [parking lights] position. Turning the **** to the right until you hear a tone will cancel the reduced brightness. The instrument panel will illuminate with reduced brightness when you unlock and open the driver’s door. The brightness will increase slightly when you insert the key in the ignition switch, then go to normal brightness when you turn the ignition switch to the ON (II) position.