Interesting experiment...

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 05:43 PM
Enthusiast
Default Interesting experiment...

I've been getting a steady 48 MPG over the past several months... I was driving on mostly flat roads with minimum hills on a 50 mile commute with about 7 stoplights. I slowed down from 5 above the 55 speed limit to 5 below and in about a week I got 49-50 MPG.

Just for grins, I reset both trip odometers (A & B) just to see what would happen (If anything). Of course it fluxuated from 70 MPG down to 40 MPG initially, but as the odometer got above 20 miles it stabilized at 51 to 52 MPG driving 5 above the speed limit. That was two weeks ago and I can't seem to get below 51.3 even when I push the car hard.

Now I have about 850 miles on both A & B. Give it a shot and see what happens. I'd be curious to see what happens with you...

Old 04-15-2010, 04:53 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Interesting experiment...

Yes, sometimes it appears that going a tad bit faster actually improves the MPG. Often, headwinds appear to affect the economy more than the exact speed. The outside temps seem to affect it as well. My economy dropped to 45 during the winter and now is back to 52.
24,000 miles and still happy with my car.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:19 AM
Witch w/ sense of humor

I'm not sure how the EPA tests fuel economy these days,but the only time I get below 41 MPG is when I floor it in "blue" mode (ECO off, "S" gear). Driving the car the way I usually do, I get 38-42 City and 55-62 Highway (combined 51 MPG).

Old 05-07-2010, 10:43 AM
Think green.

Indigo,
Do you find if you get better overall mpg with the Insight II, or was it higher with your old HCH I?

Old 05-07-2010, 10:57 AM
Witch w/ sense of humor

I've found that my city mileage in the Insight is about the same as the HCH-I, but the Insight's highway mileage is much better than the HCH-I. After a couple months of practice, I am reliably getting 55-62 MPG on the highway. The HCH usually got 46-48 MPG.

Old 05-07-2010, 11:12 AM
Think green.

Wow, that's pretty good. It seems almost as if Honda (or the EPA, I don't know which) low-balled the mpg estimates for the Insight II. In the hands of an experienced hybrid driver the new Insight seems to perform well.

I definitely see more Insight IIs around here than 2010 HCH IIs. My theory is that very few 2010 HCH IIs have sold because either people are choosing to go with the Insight II or they are happy enough with the regular Civic, and go with that choice.

Old 05-07-2010, 11:20 AM
Witch w/ sense of humor

I think you're right about the Civic versus HCH. The base vehicle is already such an efficient car that it's hard to go the extra $3k for the hybrid. One of my friends has a Civic coupe EX and he usually gets 32/40 out of his car.

I don't think the EPA measures the Insight very well. The EPA test assumes heavy use of air conditioning and a 65 MPH speed. I rarely use AC and I usually drive 50-55 MPH. Basically, I drive my car like how the pre-2008 EPA test used to be.

Old 05-07-2010, 11:51 AM
Think green.

Thanks for the info, Indigo. I'm just weighing my future options, if the need arises.

Old 05-09-2010, 03:27 PM
Enthusiast

I'm new to this Insight game, in fact my 2010 EX w/nav will not get to the dealership until this coming week. I would like to know the difference between the Insight IIs and the 2010 HCH IIs so I can better understand what you folks are taking about, like I said I'm new to this and don't know a thing. Thank you, Dutch.

Old 05-09-2010, 06:32 PM
Think green.

Dutch,
Here's a link that should lead you to the Honda website info for the 2010 HCH II or the Honda Civic Hybrid II. (The HCH I was an earlier version.) It's a hybrid version of a Honda Civic.

http://automobiles.honda.com/civic-hybrid/

You can compare it to the Insight II:

http://automobiles.honda.com/insight-hybrid/

The Insight is exclusively a hybrid car; there is no "regular/non-hybrid" version of an Insight. There was an Insight I, which was also an exclusively hybrid car.

The Insight II has the IMA battery in a different position in the car, which allows it to have a hatchback with a fold-down rear seat. In the HCH the battery pack is located behind the rear seat. As a result the rear seats do not fold down, and there is less trunk space. (Of course that didn't prevent me from bringing home my son's bike, TV, and several boxes from his dorm the other day. It's just a bit more challenging trying to fit things in.) I think the Insight has a smaller IMA battery and the mpg ratings are somewhat different than that listed for the HCH, but folks like Indigo seem to be getting good results.

Last edited by Gairwyn; 05-09-2010 at 06:41 PM.