The 2011 Chevy Volt!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 06:37 AM
Administrator
Default Re: The 2011 Chevy Volt!

Originally Posted by mrkcohen
Well, not to pick nits, but technically you actually could drive the Nissan Leaf from Colorado to California if you wanted to. You could even drive it coast to coast.

With the Volt you would be stopping every 300 miles or so for as long as it takes to gas up, with the Leaf of course you would be stopping every 75-100 miles to charge the batteries. It would take longer to fuel up of course, but like I said, technically it could be done.

Of course that would be silly.

Purely electric cars are meant for commuters and urban dwellers. They have their niche.
really? does it take longer to put gas on the volt? does it have a 26gal tank too like the escalade hybrid? I think filling up every 600 miles for the Volt will beat recharging of the leaf every 75-100 miles.

with my escalade hybrid, I did not have enough "gas" to be continuously driving for 550+miles(range of the escalade) because I was tired, hungry or just sleepy.

edit: after reading back your post, you meant fuel up(recharging) of the leaf and not the volt

Old 03-25-2011, 07:25 AM
Enthusiast

Hi

I think we are in for some new changes in the near future only because of the competition between car makers to be one step in front of a changing market.
Plus the rising cost of fuel oil will force the average person into a hybrid
thus increasing tax revenue for the government.
I doesn't matter what the government wants the bottom line is the all mighty dollar.
Who cares if the gas cars won't start because there isn't enough oxygen
to run the engine.
Everyone carries bottled water wherever they go why not carry bottled air,
Oh yeah that's right you need a prescription to carry oxygen and that's a fact.
With this all in mind than why are we dragging our feet when it comes to
changing our mind set on the prospect of free energy (untaxable) can anybody say cash cow 5 million gallons of gas in Michigan per day translated into $1,000,000 taxable revenue feet dragging.
Someday that is before the next earth killing asteroid hits and returns us to the stone age that is the ones that were living in caves at the time of impact.(space travel)
We should try not to say that is not possible because it is, you are just asking the wrong poeple.

Sorry for the rant
Mark

Old 04-27-2011, 09:16 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mrkcohen
Well, not to pick nits, but technically you actually could drive the Nissan Leaf from Colorado to California if you wanted to. You could even drive it coast to coast.

With the Volt you would be stopping every 300 miles or so for as long as it takes to gas up, with the Leaf of course you would be stopping every 75-100 miles to charge the batteries. It would take longer to fuel up of course, but like I said, technically it could be done.

Of course that would be silly.

Purely electric cars are meant for commuters and urban dwellers. They have their niche.

Couldn't you just pull a light weight trailer with a generator on it? Something the size of what a motorcycle pulls. I know people on the aptera forum were looking into this.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:54 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

They (GM) did something like that with a few EV-1s. Plugged a small generator into a trailer hitch and towed small trailer with generator.

That's where the idea of the Extended Range Electric Vehicle (Volt) came from.

Learning. The generator on a trailer idea was real clunky. It got terrible overall performance and fuel economy.

So the Volt has a more efficient and lighter generator under the hood.

Fisker has something similar coming soon. ~ $80k

Old 04-28-2011, 04:40 PM
Enthusiast

Gotcha. I should be test driving one in an hour or so. Doubtful my wife will buy today but I hope she leans the way of the Volt. I've been reading reviews on another forum and it seems to be getting great reviews with outstanding results in the fuel department. I think she will wait and see if she likes the Hyundai Sonata Hybrid more. It's more appealing to her since the Volt isn't.

Her current round trip for work is 20 miles. So the ICE shouldn't run but a few times to just burn the gas in the tank.

Old 06-12-2011, 04:57 AM
Enthusiast

Went to order a Volt and the dealer, Fred Bean in Limerick, PA wants to charge $3000 in dealer markup because they believe the Volt will be in high demand. I was willing to pay $42,000, but not $45,000.

He called it a "market demand" markup. I call it frustrating.

It makes me want to keep my 2000 Honda Insight hybrid for a while until the competition heats up. The Insight just got 102MPG on my 26 mile commute this week. And why do I want a Volt?

Sorry for posting on this thread, but the user interface for this website using the iPad does not provide a "new thread" post button.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:26 AM
Active Enthusiast

Unfortunately, GM can't dictate how the dealers sell the cars, which is why the "S" in "MSRP" is 'suggested.' They can try to dissuade dealers from marking up the vehicles, but don't have direct leverage. And most folks see their dealer as the face of the company, event though they are different entities.

Last edited by KC135R; 06-12-2011 at 09:26 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 06-12-2011, 09:34 AM
Administrator

Glad that you can order one or one is in the lot. All four high volume dealers locally doesn't one in site to look at or test drive.

Posted using an ipad. It does have new posts button in it.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:09 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tdrager
Went to order a Volt and the dealer, Fred Bean in Limerick, PA wants to charge $3000 in dealer markup because they believe the Volt will be in high demand. I was willing to pay $42,000, but not $45,000.

He called it a "market demand" markup. I call it frustrating.

It makes me want to keep my 2000 Honda Insight hybrid for a while until the competition heats up. The Insight just got 102MPG on my 26 mile commute this week. And why do I want a Volt?

Sorry for posting on this thread, but the user interface for this website using the iPad does not provide a "new thread" post button.
Call Nigel at Ayers Chevrolet in Dover, NJ at 201-906-4415. Paid MSRP 4 months ago and love the car, I have 5,200 miles on it. Oh and you can get about 400 miles on the fuel tank and a charge. If you drive locally you probably will rarely have to visit a gas station. I have a 300 mile trip I do pretty often and if I owned a Leaf I'd have to take a different car.

Last edited by ChasSidwa; 06-13-2011 at 06:14 AM.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:28 PM
Active Enthusiast

Disagree. GM has produced approximately 49,000 Volts over three model years, including exports. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Volt) Toyota Prius production peaked on ONE MODEL YEAR with 404,000 in 2009. Currently, there are numerous Volts sitting unsold on dealer lots. And, GM has already announced they are redesigning the Volt. So, it is one alternative, but apparently millions of car buyers have decided on other alternatives.

Quick Reply: The 2011 Chevy Volt!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands