Just got my Volt

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 08:03 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Just got my Volt

White Diamond with chrome wheels. I passed on the Nav, as I have the Maps on the Google on the Android. She tells me where to go.

Can't wait to get the 240V charger installed; just did my site survey today. I wonder how long these things take?

Anyway, anyone done any modifications yet? I know the front chin spoiler is a problem, so if it gets unlodged, I'm going to look at mods there. Anyone have any ideas? I see someone already did the gun rack; that was going to be my first mod to shove up Mitt's a**.

Old 03-20-2012, 05:58 AM
Proud to be GM
Default Re: Just got my Volt

We went with Cobalt Blue. I'll have to update my avatar. Ironically, we passed on the chrome wheels and sprang for the Nav. We already have a nice portable TomTom that my wife used with her Malibu, but REALLY like the OnStar feature that let's you program in your route from an iPhone and send it to the car. I'd been using that for quite some time with my Buick Enclave, so it was a must for the Volt.

Old 03-25-2012, 02:22 PM
Enthusiast

Are you guys able to confirm how many kms or miles your getting before the gasoline generators kick in?

Does it change signifcantly in hot or cold weather?

For my calculations I have been using approx 30 miles. Is that high or low?

http://mark-petz.com/volt.aspx

Old 04-02-2012, 08:56 AM
Proud to be GM

Petzy,

We (actually SHE, 'cause I rarely get to touch it) got our Volt on March 7. As of this morning it has 802 miles and has used 1.6 gallons. The engine has been on 3 times that I know of in that span. Each time it was well over 30 miles accrued on the charge, but probably less than 40. This is in the Detroit area, so probably similar climate as where you are. First week, temps were in the 70's (very warm for March in Michigan) but the past few days we've been in the mid 30's to mid 40's.

I'd say calculating at 30 would be a bit conservative.

Old 04-25-2012, 04:39 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

If you don't mind me asking, what is the out-the-door, bottom line cost of a Volt including home charger installation?

Last edited by Hot_Georgia_2004; 04-25-2012 at 04:43 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:05 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hot_Georgia_2004
If you don't mind me asking, what is the out-the-door, bottom line cost of a Volt including home charger installation?
Well I am in Ontario Canada and here they range from $43,000 - $49,000 then minus a $8250 government credit.

Just an update to everyone that after selling a few, researching them and hear customer feed back I have just recently ordered one for myself and cant wait to get it.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:33 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I was just wondering what the advantage of this vehicle is over something like a regular 2012 Civic EX, which is a very nice car, gets a combined EPA of 32MPG but costs around $21,000 less?

I understand part of the drive in longer trips will be all electric, and at least some shorter trips will be all electric but it's not free, you just see it reflected in your monthly electric utility bill.

I also understand the cost of electric is less than regular gasoline, but is it $21,000 less?

I am not critisizing, I am just trying to understand what the advantage of a volt is. If fanciness is not an issue, the base price of a plain 2012 Civic LX is around 14,000 making the Volt's premium at $27,000. You could buy your wife a very nice second new car with that amount and probably keep some $$ in your pocket.

I understand wanting one to have the latest automotive technology- which is fine, but I can't see it making financial sense.

Last edited by Hot_Georgia_2004; 04-30-2012 at 12:47 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:31 PM
Enthusiast

I was just wondering what the advantage of this vehicle is over something like a regular 2012 Civic EX, which is a very nice car, gets a combined EPA of 32MPG but costs around $21,000 less?

I understand part of the drive in longer trips will be all electric, and at least some shorter trips will be all electric but it's not free, you just see it reflected in your monthly electric utility bill.

I also understand the cost of electric is less than regular gasoline, but is it $21,000 less?

I am not critisizing, I am just trying to understand what the advantage of a volt is. If fanciness is not an issue, the base price of a plain 2012 Civic LX is around 14,000 making the Volt's premium at $27,000. You could buy your wife a very nice second new car with that amount and probably keep some $$ in your pocket.

I understand wanting one to have the latest automotive technology- which is fine, but I can't see it making financial sense.
We own the Honda dealer in town and I also sell them. The Civic is a nice enough vehicle but the target demographic of a Volt is different. The Volt client would be more of the Acura TSX driver.

From an economic stand point the Civic would be less expensive but than again a used 2005 Chevrolet Aveo would be more economical than both. It all depends on what level of vehicle you want to drive.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:24 PM
Proud to be GM

Everybody's experience is different and I'm only an expert on mine. As Petzy sort of alluded to, you have to count on each person to make the comparison to what other vehicles they are considering. For a number of reasons, we would never consider a Civic, so comparing to a Civic is moot. Might make perfect sense for someone else, though.

In our case, our second choice vehicle was a Chevrolet Equinox (22/32) and our third choice vehicle was another Malibu, but of the 2013 design (25/37).

We lease our vehicles. Typically 2 or 3 year leases. We compared the lease terms of the Volt + expected gas purchases + incremental electricity bill to the lease terms + gas for the other two alternatives. We found that the Volt lease (@ $365) + electric incremental cost (we signed up for DTE's $40/month flat fee) + gasoline (I assumed $18/month based on $3.75/ gallon and my wife's average miles driven) was $80 -100 per month LESS than the total lease payment plus fuel cost for the other two. As it turns out, she's driving a little more than her assumed average (she likes the car and finds excuses to go places) but we're spending way less in gas than originally expected. Monday will be 2 months with the car. She's right around 2,000 miles, with only 2.7 gallons burned.

Last edited by martinjlm; 05-03-2012 at 01:39 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:33 PM
Proud to be GM

Depends. Mine gets installed (finally) on Monday. My out-of-pocket will be @ $500. That's because the cost of the charge station, the cost of the electrical work to install a separate meter next to the existing meter and run an underground conduit from my deck to my garage about 30 yards away exceeds the incentive funding through the electric company.

If you have an attached garage and/or already have a 240v line it would cost a lot less. The total cost in my case also includes some cost to clear up some grounding issues that the city inspector is being (IMHO ) way too sensitive about.

Without the incentive, with an attached garage, and with a 240v line and without my pre-existing grounding issues, I'd expect it would be somewhere around $1,000. At would have been totally covered by the incentive.

Quick Reply: Just got my Volt

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands