Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.

Battery

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 01:23 PM
Enthusiast
Default Battery

Howdy! I just recently bought my 2007 HCH and I have a question about the 12v. Is there anything that could shock me fatally if I am messing with the 12v under the hood? I have no idea if the hybrid battery is connected to it in some way or anything to that matter? I am hooking up a little amp to run a little subwoofer and I really do not want to get shocked to bad. Thanks, Justin.

Old 10-27-2015, 02:31 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Battery

No more danger than a normal 12V system. Just watch for any orange cables. They are the high voltages cables.

Note that your car does not have an alternator. It charges the 12V and provides 12V power from the DC-DC converter and the IMA motor/battery.

The 151R stock battery is pretty puny. You should consider replacing with a 51R if it hasn't been done already. You will have to remove all the plastic battery cover pieces, but it will fit with just a touch of room to spare, and clamps down nicely.

Steve

Old 10-28-2015, 02:41 PM
Enthusiast

Exactly the answer I was looking for. Thanks steve! Also, Could I use a deep cycle 51r battery and not a normal starting battery? That probably sounds like a stupid question but will that work the DC to DC charger harder due to the deep cycle rapid discharge and charging? I will eventually run a duel battery set up with relay.

Old 10-28-2015, 02:49 PM

Ultimately, the DC-DC converter has to supply the total sum of the 12V energy consumed.

51R advantages:
  • Greater total capacity translates to a higher average SoC with greater longevity potential to do shallow discharge cycles.
  • Higher CCA means 12V starts are more reliable and less stressful to the battery.
  • Lower voltage drop when loaded meaning the peak DC-DC converter input will be lower and for a shorter duration.
  • A bit cheaper with a bit more availability.

Disadvantages:
  • Heavier
  • Can't use existing shroud.

A deep cycle battery doesn't provide the same CCA as a standard. This would shorten life if the 12V is used to start the car, but for normal operation, it probably doesn't matter. Personally, I wouldn't choose one.

Old 10-28-2015, 02:59 PM
Enthusiast

Ahhhh got it! I'm new with this hybrid thing and I don't know how all these components work yet, but I have been watching YouTube to try and self learn it all. But I have to admite I love my HCH. Thanks so much guys. Y'all are awesome !!!

Old 10-28-2015, 03:08 PM

Heh... actually, I thought I was replying to a different poster with a different issue.

For your application, a deep cycle MIGHT be better if you're placing a consistent LIGHT load on the battery with the car off, but deep cycle batteries don't like a lot of load.

For your operation, the more capacity, the better. An auxiliary battery would be a good option. If you're running the audio at a reasonable volume level and only utilizing a small portion of the total power (