Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.

Carfax Cheat

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 12:24 PM
Enthusiast
Default Carfax Cheat

I bought a vehicle that had front end damage from a collision, which wasn't disclosed by the seller. And he’d shown me a CARFAX report, which also didn't show any accident records — the car was absolutely clean according to it. However, I ran a report on another website, epicvin.com, and it showed that the car was in an accident and then repaired. I don't know why this information wasn't disclosed by CARFAX, but now I'm aware that CARFAX isn’t a service that can be trusted, and I won't use it again.

Old 04-17-2015, 08:33 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Carfax Cheat

Assuming you're not a troll for epicvin.com, reporting to carfax is voluntary. We had rear-end damage to a car we sold, and it didn't show on carfax. We disclosed it.

Old 04-20-2015, 04:18 AM
Enthusiast

As far as I know, CARFAX gets some of their info from companies that are not responsible for the information provided. My friend who works for the government told me only NMVTIS is responsible for any information that is provided on VIN number decoding. It turns out that the information provided by CARFAX is not verified. What is even more interesting (BUT THAT'S PURELY MY GUESS) is that CARFAX might have some kind of agreement with dealers and provides deliberately negative information in their reports when buying a car from a person, and then resells it with a clean CARFAX for a higher price... You should think about it!

Old 08-15-2016, 02:36 AM
Enthusiast

My car had an accident and it's not shown in carfax too....