Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.

Karcher for car wash

Old 06-10-2011, 12:25 AM
Enthusiast
Default Karcher for car wash

Hi, i'm tired of paying for car washing.
I want to buy a Karcher.
How much should i pay for it? I want a cheap machine for cleaning car once a week, nothing special, not for industry usage.
Found here a lot of used pressure washers for sale.
Could some of you write what Karchers do you have, how much did you pay?
Thanks in advance.

Old 06-10-2011, 06:22 PM
Pragmatist
Default Re: Karcher for car wash

I used to have a Karcher pressure washer. The thing lasted a few years of occasional use, but the pump eventually died. I used it on the car a few times... but I stopped that silliness. It takes about five minutes with a bucket and rag to rinse off a car. It takes longer than that to get a pressure washer out and put it away, plus whatever time it takes to actually spray off the car. And, if you get too close with the pressure washer, you can accidentally damage the finish. The chamois, detail, and wax work is the same in both cases.

For regular once-a-week cleaning, I do not use any soap. Just water. That removes the dirt and grime without also removing the silicone glaze (aka, wax). I only use soap when I am preparing to re-wax the car, a few times a year. A rinse with water-only, followed by chamois dry, takes a total of about ten minutes.

A few times a year, it gets the whole treatment. Soap, new silicone glaze, windex inside and out, etc.... Even for that, a bucket and rag is quicker than a pressure washer.

Old 06-16-2011, 05:05 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Karcher for car wash

Hmmm, i didn't think about that.
Good point. Thank you very much.