Night NAV Screen Dak

Old 02-13-2015, 11:23 AM
Enthusiast
Default Night NAV Screen Dak

I have my NAV screen set for auto day/night. When it gets dark it does switch to a "night" version but it's black with a hardly visible b. lue for streets. The street names are also blue and blend in with the black to the point where they cannot be read. Is this normal? I cannot find any settings that adjust the "night" NAV screen setting. I tried the dimmer dial, and looked for a menu setting, and checked the manual. Nothing but this unreadable screen? I can set it to day only and it's too bright for nighttime use and the daytime setting does not dim either.

Thanks for any help on this.

Old 02-14-2015, 08:15 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Night NAV Screen Dak

Here is what I found:
1) The best NAV contrast setting for me is "daytime" not Auto. Auto switches to the unreadable and useless black/blue screen at night and when brightness is turned up to full the full brightness daytime NAV contrast comes on which is blinding at night. The "Day" contrast is all full day contrast at full brightness but dims with the "dimmer" adjustment and is a comfortable contrast with the "day" multi colored map.

I'm not sure why Toyota has such a useless feature as the "night" contrast. My $99 TomTom has a useable auto night/day contrast with a nighttime black background with readable street/hwy names with a decent resolution. The TomTom also has unlimited map updates as well as speed limit.

I cringed at the thought of having a Toyota NAV system but it was part of the overall Touring package. I'm not sure how Toyota gets so many other things right, but totally fails with the NAV technology. Shameful.

Old 02-20-2016, 10:43 AM
Active Enthusiast

Just purchased a 2016 TAH, and have not noticed this issue with the Nav screen being Dark. However, it's a shame that you have to spend thousands for a mediocre navigation system. You can by a Garmin for $100 that is updatable for free, and yet we have to pay hundreds for an update which only happens yearly.

Old 04-12-2016, 09:54 AM
Enthusiast

Toyota has had several years (at least in my experience back to 2007) to fix the NAV night view, but has not. But they finally brought the "outside temp" up to the same brightness level as the inside temperature, but it took over 5 years to do that little bit of code update.

Another "glaring" (for real) problem has been the angle of the info screen. It's so laid back that almost any outside sunlight totally washes out the display. Most other manufacturers have the screen almost vertical so glare is pretty much a non-issue.

Obviously, the engineers and designers, do not actually drive what they create, or what other manufacturers have created, under normal driving conditions or they would have fixed these problems long ago.