2008 Escape or 2008 Mariner - pros and cons?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 08:11 AM
occ
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2008 Escape or 2008 Mariner - pros and cons?

I think queenfan has it right...the two are virtually identical. It's the image of what you want to drive, an urban suv (MMH) or a utility suv (FEH). However, I just read that mazda tribute hybrid is out...so if you want a more "sporty" suv, you got another great choice.

Basically, I went for the MMH because of the exterior styling...all down to preference.

Old 07-12-2007, 11:26 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for all the great responses. I've actually decided that the Mariner is more my style (coming from a guy that owned a Mini Cooper, Honda Insight and Toyota Prius, in that order). The Escape seems less refined. I don't like the plastic mirrors and door *****, (I know that upgrading with the "chrome package" gets them painted), and I especially don't care for all that plastic on the area below the doors. To make it worse, the plastic has these squarish indentations that totally throws the clean look off. The rear bumper, while painted, also has those really out-of-place square indentations. Other differences (that I don't care for) include:

-Escape doesn't have the side mounted turn signal lights (most European cars have this), Mariner does.

-I like the lights mounted under the tail lights on the Mariner (Escape does not have a separate light).

-I prefer the Mariner's clear tail lights over the Escapes.

-Mariner comes in silver, Escape doesn't come in silver and the closest color to silver is "tungsten grey" that looks purple in certain light angles. Don't want a purple car.

Generally speaking, the SUVs seem very similar. I would say the Mariner looks more like a car, Escape more like a truck.

And as far as I can tell, the Mariner is priced about the same as the Escape with the same options, yet the Mariner is supposed to be a more luxurious version of the Escape. I can see how that applies in most aspects, however not with price.

HOWEVER, there are no Mariner's on the island available for sale. There are some Escapes available but only in light ice blue, and I while I haven't seen the color in person, I was told it looks like baby blue. So I don't think that will work for me. The other option is white but it's from a dealer that won't sell at MSRP. I haggled them down to $1,700 over MSRP but that's the lowest they would go. I walked out of the dealership pretty pissed off. I would NEVER pay over MSRP. So I guess my only choice is to special order a Mariner and wait 3 months for its arrival. That's a big bummer. I'm going to start another thread about what people are paying - MSRP, over MSRP or under MSRP.

Old 07-28-2007, 07:45 PM
Enthusiast

I too looked at both the FEH & MMH and my wife and I decided we preferred the looks of the MMH. And I wanted the Silver color so we went with the MMH. I've had it for a month now and with over 2,000 miles on it, all I can say is "I love it!"

Another point to consider - a comment was made earlier that somebody decided on the FEH because of the greater number of Ford dealers vs. Lincoln-Mercury dealers. FYI - any Ford dealer will work on a MMH. Unfortunately I can speak from experience as I have already had my MMH worked on at a Ford dealer. And that Ford dealer told me that if the problem is related to the hybrid technology, any Ford dealer will work on a MMH - no negative issues whatsoever. They are all Ford Motor Company dealers and the FEH & MMH share the exact same hybrid technology!

Old 07-30-2007, 03:44 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

True, but over 90% of all Ford dealers are unskilled at working on hybrids... even though they will "attempt" to solve your hybrid problem!

Old 07-30-2007, 05:14 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gpsman1
True, but over 90% of all Ford dealers are unskilled at working on hybrids... even though they will "attempt" to solve your hybrid problem!
Okay, this is your opinion, right? I'd like to believe you, really I would.

But I've been to three different dealers in Denver and all three had at least two mechanics full hybrid certifications from Ford. I know because I asked, and was personally introduced to the mechanics. They were very knowledgable about the vehicle.

Old 07-30-2007, 05:23 PM
N/A

Ya same here in Denver. Both the place I bought (Naughton) and the place near me that services mine (Freeway) have hybrid certified guys on the line. Maybe its because it's a bigger city. You sure about that 90 percent figure john?

Old 07-30-2007, 05:53 PM
Enthusiast

I guess if we believe "gpsman1", then nobody should be buying an FEH or a MMH because there are no qualified hybrid service techs out there. That's pure rubbish!

Each Ford and Lincoln-Mercury dealer that has been authorized to sell hybrids must have at least one qualified service techician on staff. That means a certified service technician who has been sent to Dearborn and received extensive training on the hybrid powertrain technology. And since the FEH and MMH share the same powertrain, it makes no difference whether you take your hybrid to a Ford or L/M dealer.

Old 07-30-2007, 07:05 PM
Active Enthusiast

Maybe by "unskilled" he meant that most of them have a certified mechanic that is no good at working on hybrids. Like the unskilled hybrid tech at my dealer that changed my oil and then forgot to reset the Change Oil Now display on my message center....

Old 07-30-2007, 08:12 PM
N/A

The average tech forgets little things, like to wipe fingerprints off the door or to re-set the seat to where I like it. I do not view those oversights as an indication that they are "unskilled". I wonder, if I was in and out of dozens of cars every day, would I remember which ones have driver info centers? Even if I could figure that out, would I also know where to look for an oil life monitor on each individual car? They are not all the same. It seems like it would be really hard to keep track.

I've owned five or six car with oil life monitors. Based on my experience I'd say "get used to it". I've almost always had to reset them myself.

On another note, I recently asked the manager of a Ford FastLane shop about his workers. I have not owned a Ford in many years and didn't know about the FastLane concept. The manager said his people are not fully trained mechanics. He added that it is unlikely my oil will ever be changed by a hybrid certified person, even if I go to the main dealer. They apparently don't often do routine oil changes unless they are doing other work on the vehicle too.

YMMV

Old 07-30-2007, 08:45 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

In major cities, you will have dealers that sell a larger than average number of hybrids. In major cities, you will have a larger number of hybrid owners, so the few hybrid qualified mechanics will have a greater chance of actually being able to work on some. This is the 10% of the desired locations that I would like to have my FEH serviced at.

I not preaching gloom and doom. But how many of you would feel comfortable flying on a commercial jet, who's pilot only flies once a year? I'm the greatest promoter of the FEH there is. I bought one of the first 5000 ever made, and "sold" 3 more to friends. ( Convinced them to buy one also. ) But it is in everyone's best interest to go into any service situation armed with as much information as possible, as it is very likely you will know more about your car than the service department.
( And with Murphy's Law, the one "hybrid" mechanic will be on vacation the week you need him. )
-John

Quick Reply: 2008 Escape or 2008 Mariner - pros and cons?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands