Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Ford Escape Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/)
-   -   2008 Traction control light when braking and stutter (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/2008-traction-control-light-when-braking-stutter-30940/)

dd0 09-11-2016 09:06 PM

2008 Traction control light when braking and stutter

Applying the brake on a decline usually triggers this light. The way I would describe it when I brake is it seems to stutter a bit, but it does brake. It usually lasts about 1 second while braking, then stops stuttering and then the brakes are fine. This stutter only occurs about 10% of the time under normal braking, but almost always on a decline.

It's very slight, but the the TC light always comes on in conjunction with the stutter in the brake. Wheel speed sensor? Hydraulic pump? I did notice around the pump the lines have some slight corrosion.

08hybridok 09-20-2016 05:52 AM

Re: 2008 Traction control light when braking and stutter

IDK if it would only happen that small amount of time; but I've read elsewhere the tone rings on the Escapes are notorious for breaking (just google/youtube it) can be a DIY fix if you have the time/tools.

trussmonkey666 12-06-2016 09:07 PM

Delayed response here but my 20087/08 had a tone ring break last year as well. With your same findings.

08escapehybrid 12-06-2016 10:06 PM

Yeah, when they get really bad it will kinda "buck" then eventually disable anti-lock. If you are still having the problem let me know, I have a full set of manuals.

wptski 12-07-2016 05:58 AM

They use a wheel bearing where the actual reluctor ring is built into one side of the shield on the bearing. I'm assuming they are going to these now instead.

08escapehybrid 12-07-2016 09:49 AM

They may be going to those on new vehicles, but it's not the new spec on our older vehicles. My guess is because they had so many problems with it they changed design. I had all 4 wheel bearings replaced and still have regular old tone rings.

08escapehybrid 12-07-2016 09:51 AM

The stutter is either a bad pickup coil which is possible or more likely a bad tone ring, they're incredibly common especiallly in the rust belt.

wptski 12-07-2016 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by 08escapehybrid (Post 261244)
They may be going to those on new vehicles, but it's not the new spec on our older vehicles. My guess is because they had so many problems with it they changed design. I had all 4 wheel bearings replaced and still have regular old tone rings.

No, they can't because the sensor and its mounting position are different.

The Ford tech that post many videos stated that he never had to replaced a wheel speed sensor.