4WD Lockup/Disable

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 04:48 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 4WD Lockup/Disable

Yeah, mine goes back and forth like maybe 15 degrees. Maybe you just lost a shear pin or something like that somewhere in the line?

Old 01-04-2017, 05:07 AM
Imported from Detroit

The transfer case/PTU is blown as I mentioned before.

Old 01-04-2017, 05:51 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I would not expect a shear pin in the driveline. So I think the gears have eaten through. Since the PTU does engage (ie when the propeller shaft is rotated the wheels turn) I think the damage is in the transfer case. The electrical checks seem to show the PTU is fine. Will replace the transfer case & post results... may take a few days.

Old 01-04-2017, 12:52 PM
Active Enthusiast

They're a ***** on those, take your time and good luck.

Old 01-04-2017, 01:16 PM
Active Enthusiast

We were trying to narrow everything down first since it's a major job wptski. I never heard of that particular failure mode for the driveline otherwise I would have suggested that Bill do exactly what he did to test it. I'm surprised it made absolutely no noticeable noise at any time when it basically grenaded itself.

Old 01-05-2017, 05:31 AM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by 08escapehybrid
We were trying to narrow everything down first since it's a major job wptski. I never heard of that particular failure mode for the driveline otherwise I would have suggested that Bill do exactly what he did to test it. I'm surprised it made absolutely no noticeable noise at any time when it basically grenaded itself.
Gearing can wear slowly without making much noise till nothing meshes or it can go boom from sudden stress applied.

I'm a retired industrial mechanic from the auto industry(Ford) and I've seen it all!

Old 01-05-2017, 11:48 PM
Active Enthusiast

Fair enough, it just didn't seem like it was a major rush so I wanted to keep him from open heart surgery if it was avoidable.

Old 01-06-2017, 05:50 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Yes, consider the case where a non-full time 4WD is left engaged on dry, hard surface roads. The windup that occurs usually destroys the gears by gradually eating into them until they don't have enough left to engage any more. I'm trying to figure out where I could have initiated that process. I think that the proximity of the exhaust system is part of that by slowly boiling away the lube.

Old 01-06-2017, 12:10 PM
Active Enthusiast

They just aren't a very strong design, a quarter million miles is pretty good out of it. I would say if you think your fluid boiled then maybe you have a cat getting hotter than normal.

Old 01-06-2017, 05:00 PM
Imported from Detroit

The case would have to get over 400F to boil heavy gear lube. There once was a guy((wwest(Willard West)) in this forum that always said that the transfer case was the weak link in the Ford design.

Last edited by wptski; 01-17-2017 at 05:25 AM.

Quick Reply: 4WD Lockup/Disable

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands