After 30-40min of driving will not go into hybrid mode

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 05:09 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: After 30-40min of driving will not go into hybrid mode

That sounds a lot like my issue. My Battery Temp seems to correlate with the outside ambient temp more than it should. This along with posts I've seen about the blend door makes me think the door should be closed and creating a loop thru the ac evaporator. Can you take your rear filter out and check if the blend door is closed or open on yours with the engine on and running?

After running it at idle today I'm hearing the coffee maker sound that looks like it may be a bad blend door actuator there too. So I just ordered both of the under-dash blend doors. I'll check back in after I get those replaced. I've been working on my own vehicles since I learned to drive. I've found out that if you want something done right, it's almost always better to do it yourself.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:56 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 08Green4x4
That sounds a lot like my issue. My Battery Temp seems to correlate with the outside ambient temp more than it should. This along with posts I've seen about the blend door makes me think the door should be closed and creating a loop thru the ac evaporator. Can you take your rear filter out and check if the blend door is closed or open on yours with the engine on and running?

After running it at idle today I'm hearing the coffee maker sound that looks like it may be a bad blend door actuator there too. So I just ordered both of the under-dash blend doors. I'll check back in after I get those replaced. I've been working on my own vehicles since I learned to drive. I've found out that if you want something done right, it's almost always better to do it yourself.

I have looked at the rear blend door when it is not running and the blend door is always closed. I haven't checked it while running at all. I'm not even sure what the normal behavior should be. It would be helpful to understand the logic that was programmed for that system based on the different temperature parameters. I know there are some very knowledgeable folks on this forum who might be able to help with that... Anyone? BillyK... Where are you?

I would be surprised if the blend door is malfunctioning for you without throwing a code. There is a position sensor on that device that should give you the dreaded "service soon" wrench light and the associated trouble code on your SGII. I've done the replacement of the actuator already on my FEH as it was displaying the warning pretty regularly.

Please keep me posted if you manage to make some progress on this... So far it's mostly just an annoyance but doesn't seem to have much (if any) affect on overall drivability or mileage. I don't expect that to last though so the sooner one of us figures out the solution the better. My suspicion is that it's the built in HV fan dying a slow death. From everything I've read here, it's not a fix that is safe for the average DIY'er to tackle due to the voltages in the battery pack. I would just want to be sure of the diagnosis (if possible) if I have to take it in to a stealership.

Old 08-11-2012, 12:59 PM
Enthusiast

After some driving in some cooler weather and EV working I'm also pointing the finger at the battery fans. I ordered the P/N 5M6Z-10C659-A for $200 shipped from a quick Google search. It's the replacement battery fan kit and I've read over the procedure to replace them without pulling the HV battery. I also ordered the Ford Workshop Manual for the 2008 FE/MM Hybrid. The lower blend door (took around 10 minutes with a 8mm socket) solved the coffee pot percolating sound I was hearing.

I'm relatively new to the FEH scene and as these vehicles start hitting the used car scene it would be nice to have the info at hand to diagnose some of the more common wear-out parts. I'll keep you posted when the fans come in the mail.

Old 08-11-2012, 01:29 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I ordered the P/N 5M6Z-10C659-A for $200 shipped from a quick Google search. It's the replacement battery fan kit and I've read over the procedure to replace them without pulling the HV battery.
Isn't the HV fan repair covered by your hybrid component warranty? It has been for others I thought.

Old 08-12-2012, 11:27 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by econoline
Isn't the HV fan repair covered by your hybrid component warranty? It has been for others I thought.
I bought the vehicle with 105k miles, a little past the 100k warranty on the hybrid system. Just my luck!

Old 08-13-2012, 10:57 AM
Active Enthusiast

... I ordered the P/N 5M6Z-10C659-A for $200 shipped from a quick Google search. It's the replacement battery fan kit and I've read over the procedure to replace them without pulling the HV battery. I also ordered the Ford Workshop Manual for the 2008 FE/MM Hybrid. The lower blend door (took around 10 minutes with a 8mm socket) solved the coffee pot percolating sound I was hearing.

I'm relatively new to the FEH scene and as these vehicles start hitting the used car scene it would be nice to have the info at hand to diagnose some of the more common wear-out parts. I'll keep you posted when the fans come in the mail.
Just saw this thread and am curious if you have that battery fan kit replacement procedure handy, or can point me to it, just in case mine ever needs it.

Also, where did you get the manual ordered from? I usually go the ebay route but figured I'd ask if you have an inside line on how to get them cheaper and easier.

One of my dash blend door actuators is cycling but not sure which yet -- will be interesting trying to tackle that. Crossed fingers it's the lower one.

I completely agree with you on the DIY method of fixing problems. I just can't trust our local stealership to do anything right (they tried to get me on the MECS pump recently, even though NONE of the codes pointed toward it, and it turned out to be the original 12V battery needed replaced, which did show a code) and I'm a cheapo so tend to do it all myself anyway. And learning about the hybrid system is pretty fun too.

Last edited by 84GT Ragtop; 08-13-2012 at 11:02 AM.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:07 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 84GT Ragtop
Just saw this thread and am curious if you have that battery fan kit replacement procedure handy, or can point me to it, just in case mine ever needs it.

Also, where did you get the manual ordered from? I usually go the ebay route but figured I'd ask if you have an inside line on how to get them cheaper and easier.

One of my dash blend door actuators is cycling but not sure which yet -- will be interesting trying to tackle that. Crossed fingers it's the lower one.

I completely agree with you on the DIY method of fixing problems. I just can't trust our local stealership to do anything right (they tried to get me on the MECS pump recently, even though NONE of the codes pointed toward it, and it turned out to be the original 12V battery needed replaced, which did show a code) and I'm a cheapo so tend to do it all myself anyway. And learning about the hybrid system is pretty fun too.

If you do a search, there are several links to the procedure. Here it is (again):

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f16fe2e

Old 08-14-2012, 02:09 PM
Enthusiast

hey corski and 4x4. wow do I feel the pain. I am having same troubles. have same attitude towards ford(dealerships). I am struggling to find answers(more than usual). I have no answers but this is what I know so far. EV out at 95 which happens in 15 30 mins depending on use and outside temp. Blend door stays open. I have noticed that AC will cycle sometimes when in recirc. a/c but never in no recirc. a/c. always with just rear a/c. I am checking with an a/c guy this afternoon. Hope he can shed some light. I have found some diagrams of system and procedures for how to on most all repairs. I'm just not sure what to repair. Hope I can tell you something soon. Hope somebody will tell us something soon

Old 08-14-2012, 03:40 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by raise10
hey corski and 4x4. wow do I feel the pain. I am having same troubles. have same attitude towards ford(dealerships). I am struggling to find answers(more than usual). I have no answers but this is what I know so far. EV out at 95 which happens in 15 30 mins depending on use and outside temp. Blend door stays open. I have noticed that AC will cycle sometimes when in recirc. a/c but never in no recirc. a/c. always with just rear a/c. I am checking with an a/c guy this afternoon. Hope he can shed some light. I have found some diagrams of system and procedures for how to on most all repairs. I'm just not sure what to repair. Hope I can tell you something soon. Hope somebody will tell us something soon
When I had the blend door thing, the only symptom was an occasional wrench light. The battery never got hot by the Tav gauge and I never had a stop safely now. I think your fans are probably going or are already gone. Unfortunately, on my 2008 the scangauge battery temp gauge doesn't work but I think it did on my 2006. If the fans are working, turn your radio off and with all the windows up you should be able to hear them pretty good if they're working and the battery is warm or hot.

Old 08-14-2012, 04:53 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 84GT Ragtop

I ordered the manuals off of eBay for $50. It was the cheapest place I could find. It looks like GatorJ beat me to the posting of the replacement procedure. I'll be glad to scan any pages in the workshop manual for you if you're needing a specific guide. I could tell it was the lower blend door under my dash when the noise was present by placing my hand on the lower one and feeling the vibration along with the noise. I'm still waiting on the battery fans to come in but when they do I'll be sure and post an update.

Quick Reply: After 30-40min of driving will not go into hybrid mode

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands