Another method to warm the HV battery away from home?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 06:51 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Default Re: Another method to warm the HV battery away from home?

Oh... I'm not criticizing you in the least, and I hope that's not how it came out.

90% of what I've learned about this car has been by trial, and error.

I was amazed today at how rapid the HV battery came up to room temperature by itself. I had guessed a long time ago that the best way to warm the battery was to use it. But I had no easy way to measure this, until the xGauge came along. Now, it looks like the battery heats up very well. Kind of a bad thing though outside of winter. Look at all the elaborate cooling systems Ford had to build, and internal heat also means the battery has a lot of resistance, which = wasted power.

In the cold, ( today anyway ) getting my engine hot fast, and enabling EV fast, then USING the battery... it hit 74 degrees.... fast... like two fill-ups and drains of the battery pack.

Thanks for the link to the FIA grille cover. I love it so far.
No dramatic results, but I know it has to be helping a little, and I think it looks very good too. You have helped me more than you know! Thanks!

My drive home was 16'F. I got 37.4 MPG in 9.9 miles from a "cold start".
I did have the EBH plugged in at work. Engine water was 73'F and battery was 59'F when I "started". My battery was again, 74'F when I ended my very short (9.9mi ) drive home.

-John

Old 12-11-2007, 07:06 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gpsman1
Oh... I'm not criticizing you in the least, and I hope that's not how it came out.

90% of what I've learned about this car has been by trial, and error.

-John
I'm ok. I didn't feel I was being criticized. I have learned a lot from all of the posters on this site and encourage all to keep sharing it. I'm going to make some errors with some of my questions--see my latest post about replacement of the HV batteries.

Old 12-12-2007, 05:30 AM
2008 Escape Hybrid Owner

Originally Posted by Billyk
This is the information I wanted you to produce again. 75 watts is a lot less than the 400 required for the engine block. This is why I posted this because of the mistaken belief a portable 12V power pack could provide energy for this process away from home and speed up the process of going into electric mode. Then I forgot -as you reminded me--of the need for a transformer to change the 12V energy form.
If the battery heater is a resistance heater, 12V shoulds heat the battery, but at a slower rate.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:14 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Maybe yes... maybe no... I definately hear relays clicking in the back when I first plug mine in... you'll never know till someone tries it... I just see little advantage to doing so....

Old 12-12-2007, 10:29 AM
2008 Escape Hybrid Owner

If it picks relays, the low voltage (12Vdc) is not a good idea.