Anyone else get locked out of your FEH?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 12:15 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Anyone else get locked out of your FEH?

Originally Posted by nightracerx
If your key is in the ignition with the engine off, even if you try to lock the car with the lock button, the lock will automatically open to prevent you from lock yourself out. If you leave your keys in the cup holder or any other place inside the car and locked your car, you run out of luck!
This only works if you hit the "Lock button with the driver's door open and the keys in the ignition. If the door is closed and key in the ignition, the doors still lock. Plus you can also lock the doors from the front passenger door when open and the key in the ignition.

The other question I have is when this happened to you, was there another vehicle around your FEH possibly with a fob frequency close to yours? I have had this happen on my Dodge Durango.

Old 07-02-2006, 12:25 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pravus Prime
Not me. I have a keypad on my door. A feature from the '95 Explorer I loved so much and used so much I got it installed on my FEH. I use it quite a bit actually. And I like being able to say go to Blockbuster, park in EV, lock the doors, take the videos back, then return to my car, unlock, get in and drive away in EV mode.
This keypad is listed in the parts accessories for 05, 06, and 07 FEH's. I keep all three accessory catalogs on my laptop. In the accessories catalog, it is part number 14A626. Though there is no prices. listed in the catalog

Old 07-02-2006, 12:36 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pravus Prime

I don't understand what your point is. My fob is on my keyring, which my car key is on. So, when it's in the ignition, and I lock the doors, no one can get in, which means I don't have to worry about someone stealing my car. (Which was I've heard was a way to steal cars; there was a scam where they'd put a piece of tape on your back window. When you backed out, you saw it, stopped, got out, and they'd hop in and steal your vehicle and keys. Plus I'm paranoid that way.)

In addition, like right now, my keys are locked in my car, so I don't have to worry about them; I don't always have pockets, so I can store the keys in the console, then use the keypad to open the car when I'm done. It also makes dropping off or picking up stuff pretty fast and easy, and with trusted family members, they can pick up or drop off stuff at the car without keys as well.

As I recall, it was about $110 installation and programming (my old key code) included. And for something like that, I'd rather not do it myself.
I've programmed a third key fob on my Durango, pretty easy with the direction in the vehicles owner's manual. My wife's Pacifica was the same way. I would have to guess that the keypad install is the same way. The accessories catalog states instructions for the install come with it. Though I do agree, if you don't feel comfortable doing something, better to have the dealer/professionals do it. This way, you can always yell at them when it doesn't work. (haha )

Old 07-07-2006, 12:03 PM

Thanks GatorJ

Got my keyless entry keypad yesterday from that EBay item number you posted. Took just a few minutes to install and works like a charm. It was in the same OEM box like your picture also. It was $53 with shipping which I felt was a great deal.

GaryG

Old 07-08-2006, 06:24 AM
Enthusiast

Hi, Gary,
Did your keypad come with directions for programming your own PIN? I had my Ford dealer install mine, and they said that you couldn't program it, but could only use the factory code.
Gary V.

Old 07-08-2006, 06:40 AM

Hi Gary

That's bull from the dealer. Simple instructions come with the keypad and you reset the Fob's at the same time. All you do is turn the key on and off 8 times leaving it in the on position. Just push one fob button on each fob you want programed and then enter the number they give you with the keypad. After that, you can enter the number again and press the 1-2 button and enter a 5 digit number of your choice. The keypad will unlock the doors with either number after that. You can always reprogram your personal number by repeating the above, but the original number stays programed no matter what.

GaryG

Old 07-08-2006, 06:31 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks, Gary,
Other than the little plastic card if the factory code, the dealer didn't give me any other information about programming the key pad.
Thanks again,
Gary V

Old 07-08-2006, 08:53 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Two questions... can you change the battery in the keypads? And does it fit tight against the body or is there a little groove around the thing thats going to collect dirt I can never get clean?

Old 07-08-2006, 08:58 PM
Active Enthusiast

Any Ford Keypad will work? This guy appears to be selling them for $20...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/00-04...03862953QQrdZ1

Now, does anyone know if there are different sized ones out there...I heard some stick out super far while other are much thinner???

Old 07-09-2006, 03:42 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Yes, it has a replaceable battery. Mine's been going strong on my 02 for 3 years now. It fits tight enough that cleaning has not been an issue. They are all the same size. Someone might have confused these stick-ons with the factory hardwired ones that come on Mriners, etc. The hardwired ones have a lower profile. I ordered one to see if I could retrofit it to 06 FEH.

Quick Reply: Anyone else get locked out of your FEH?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands