Anyone know release date of the plug in FEH?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 02:03 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Anyone know release date of the plug in FEH?

Originally Posted by DesertDog
What you're describing would defeat the entire purpose of the warm-up mode. Requiring the ICE to deliver any torque to the wheels would increase emissions substantially and increase warm-up time.

The generator draws current during warm-up, no question. It does not charge the battery. SoC drops drastically during warm-up, much faster than during EV. Display the generator torque xgauge and see POSITIVE torque during warm-up, ZERO torque during EV, and NEGATIVE torque when charging. The ICE is idling during warm-up and you have to drive the generator to allow the ICE to continue to idle as the vehicle speed increases. All propulsion comes from the traction motor; the physics of the planetary gear set must be obeyed.
I didn't describe that well but I agree when you say that the ICE only applied torque to the wheels after warmup. I thought it might apply some torque to a battery charge but I think you are saying they don't want it to have any load on it at all....a "true" idle.

Are they just applying enough current during warmup to ensure that the generator DOESN'T put a load on the ICE? ... When it acts as a generator it would act as a load on the ICE (what you describe in your first post seemed to imply they are intentionally loading the ICE the way I read it).... if you apply current it and you'd start it spinning fast enough to "keep ahead" of the ICE so there is no load... is that what you mean?

I'm not trying to start wars....just trying to figure this beast out.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:57 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

I think you've got it now Tim.

Old 07-28-2008, 06:32 AM
Plugin Ford Escape Hybrid

Is the dream PFEH Upgrade Possible?

Why can't we read the parameters that the computer is looking for to go into EV Mode at startup and then either set an override in the computer through a tool like the ScanGauge or accomplish the settings with a charger? Perhaps a discussion with the guys at ScamGauge could be helpful in this area.

My goal Plugin Ford Escape Hybrid is: Add-on Ultracap or Battery Energy Pack with Plug In Charger and Gauge to set and monitor PHEV settings for Start-up, Force EV mode and Maximize Recharge mode. The Ford Escape Hybrid is a great platform to work from. Add Lithium Ion batteries for an extended power range and Ultra Capacitors for take-off horsepower and quick recharging.

The plug in could also warm the ICE for shorter warm up periods to allow full EV Mode quicker. This also helps during the cold months in northern climates.

Old 07-28-2008, 02:01 PM
Active Enthusiast

There is no doubt that Ford is listening and working hard to give us their best. The new Fusion will have what Ford calls silent start. it will allow you to start your drive in full EV if all parameters are met.

Later on in 2010 or 11 the FEH will have the silent start feature too.

Having driven the PFEH that Ford built for So.Cal. Edison using LI Ion Batteries, I can attest that this is the dream Escape we are all wanting. Fast and quick 40 mphEV mode and Long pure EV driving. 120 MPG for the first 20-30 miles. Cost of the Li Ion batteries is the deal breaker today. Johnson Saft is the battery supplier and they seem to be sure that cost will come down. If they can do it we will be better off as the domestic builders will not need to go off shore to get their batteries and be held hostage to their Asian allies and be limited to the #'s they can buy.

The PFEH is the best thing I have ever driven and I sure wish I could be a BETA tester. Are you listening Ford?

I think the Fusion should be very interesting and I can tell you I am keeping my eyes open for this one. It should be a big step forward for Ford.

Ford engineers are now treating hybrids as a different type of car being sold to a different more informed driver. From here on out they will offer silent start. I for one am glad to see it.

I think it would be nice to have an after market solution too. But for now we must wait.

Old 07-28-2008, 03:17 PM

I think it would be nice to have an after market solution too. But for now we must wait.

There is two aftermarket solutions you can use today to create a PHEV Ford Escape Hybrid.
1. Hybrids-Plus http://hybrids-plus.com/ out of Colorado
2. HEVT out of Chicago http://hevt.com/capabilities.html

A PHEV Ford Escape Hybrid from Hybrids-Plus was reviewed by our own GPSMAN1.
This is a scanguage reading of 142 mpg while GPSman1 was driving the Hybrids-Plus Ford Escape. You can do a search here and read all about it.

Why can't we read the parameters that the computer is looking for to go into EV Mode at startup and then either set an override in the computer through a tool like the ScanGauge or accomplish the settings with a charger? Perhaps a discussion with the guys at ScamGauge could be helpful in this area.

The Scanguage will not allow you to do what you are asking. You are asking for "reverse engineering" and your not going to get this type of information here. You can not pull "parts off the shelve" to create a PHEV Escape Hybrid.See the above two aftermarket vendors to create your PHEV Escape Hybrid.

Old 07-28-2008, 06:37 PM
Plugin Ford Escape Hybrid

I had already reviewed the Hybrids Plus option and at over $30k, I would leave the Escape as is.

The link to hevt.com is very interesting, but it appears that they recently finished a PHEV F-150 and are looking for big vehicle conversions. I did not see any information for the Escape on the site, but they are looking for projects so I might volunteer since I live in Chicago.

Old 07-29-2008, 03:00 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pfeh
Is the dream PFEH Upgrade Possible?

My goal Plugin Ford Escape Hybrid is: Add-on Ultracap or Battery Energy Pack with Plug In Charger and Gauge to set and monitor PHEV settings for Start-up, Force EV mode and Maximize Recharge mode. The Ford Escape Hybrid is a great platform to work from. Add Lithium Ion batteries for an extended power range and Ultra Capacitors for take-off horsepower and quick recharging.

The plug in could also warm the ICE for shorter warm up periods to allow full EV Mode quicker. This also helps during the cold months in northern climates.
Likely all the parameters are determined by a change in resistance in the sensor (as things warm up, etc.), so it's quite simply to tap into the lines to the sensors and see what the initial resistance is, and what it changes to as things warm up. Then it's a matter of tricking the computer with a resistor.

I and many others have done this with the 6-speed equiped sports cars that have the "skip-shift" issue, which forced the gearshift to go from 1st to 4th gear in certain driving situations to increase the EPA ratings. It was on Vettes, Trans Ams, etc., and may still be. It was easy to defeat with a resistor.

Old 07-29-2008, 06:04 PM

It is going to take more than just tapping into wires to read sensor to create a PHEV Escape Hybrid.

This guy on the left is Steve Woodruff of Indiana. He has converted at least two Prius to PHEV. He runs a business repairing vehicles including the hybrid Prius. His website---autobeyours.com--details some of the work that he does/did to convert the Prius. Since the Prius is somewhat similar to the Escape, it might be possible for him to convert your vehicle but at what price are you willing to do this?

Old 08-03-2008, 08:09 PM
Enthusiast

I would love it if the transmission went from P > R > N > D > L > EV. I don't care that much about EV on startup -- the main reason that I want EV mode is so that I can drive the last mile of my commute on pure EV, and not have to be so concerned that if I give it a little too much gas or hit a pothole the ICE will kick in.

Old 08-03-2008, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by HersheyBear
I would love it if the transmission went from P > R > N > D > L > EV. I don't care that much about EV on startup -- the main reason that I want EV mode is so that I can drive the last mile of my commute on pure EV, and not have to be so concerned that if I give it a little too much gas or hit a pothole the ICE will kick in.
There is no hybrid vehicle with a transmission like that. Or, there is no transmission like that in a hybrid.

Quick Reply: Anyone know release date of the plug in FEH?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands