To AWD or not to AWD

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 03:25 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: To AWD or not to AWD

Originally Posted by bmisf
I like my 4WD Mariner and have had it out in pretty extreme snowstorms here in California, in Wyoming, and in Colorado. It drives well in those conditions and I feel very safe in it. I don't go off road, but like the additional control the 4WD system gives me in bad weather.

I also appreciate that I don't have to stop and put on chains in California; I carry the chains (mandated by law), and it's possible that they'd declare conditions where they're even required on a 4WD, but so far I've never had to use them.

All that said, I've never driven the FWD Escape or Mariner, so I can't say if the 4WD is enough better to be worth the trade-off in MPGs. The person that posted in answer to one of your other questions noting 35MPG is, I'm sure, driving a FWD Escape; I've never had a full tank above 29.1, and have never seen the average MPG exceed 32 in any sort of extended driving in my car. My per-tank average is about 27. I know there are people who can squeeze out more, but I think these are pretty realistic real-world averages for the 4WD for most of us.

I agree with all of the above.

I have a AWD 2008 Escape. I live near San Fran., so for most of my driving, I do not have the AWD engaged. However, I own property in MA and hope to return there. That property is on a hill and I can tell you that without AWD or 4WD, getting up that hill in bad weather is a near impossibility. With my old '97 Explorer Sport, I would easily go up the hill without even forcing it into 4WD mode! But when I had a 2006 Saturn Vue with FWD only, getting up that hill in bad weather required all of my driving skills.

Also, I drive to Chicago once a year - during the holidays. Yep, a 4000 mile treck across the states in December/January. Having AWD then is real handy (and I don't have chains - no one really enforces it when one lives along the coast ).

Like you, I get as little as 25 mpg (I tend to do a lot of stop and go driving, where I have to turn off the vehicle) to as much as 32 mpg (if I do a nice combination of highway and city driving). Typically, I float around 27-28. I'm sure if I did more tricks I could get a bit more, but the short distances I drive often negate tricks.

Regardless, this is a lot more than my prior SUV's. I'm very happy!

Old 02-18-2011, 08:05 AM
Enthusiast

Yes to AWD, but for different reasons than most.

I have an 05 FWD, and while a wonderful, low maintenance vehicle for almost every condition, it is completely unusable in any gravel or snow in any place where you have mild or hilly terrain. I live in the Ozarks. It may say FWD, but only the passenger front wheel with the electric motor drives. My secondary gravel driveway when even mildly wet- will dig a hole. On snow, my worst ever experience. (And I have driven in snow for over 30 years in 2wd and 4wd vehicles.) Even the lightest touch of the pedal can easily create wheel spin.

After 134,000k I do know this vehicle and still appreciate it 98% of the time- but I would gladly trade that little extra mileage for an AWD and some traction when needed. Actually, we are driving the heck out of it so it will finally wear out or need the infamous $6,000 master cylinder replacement so we can scrap it out. At this mileage it's unsellable- but it just might last over 200,000k? Who knows. Gary

Old 02-18-2011, 09:04 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Piquant
Yes to AWD, but for different reasons than most.

I have an 05 FWD, and while a wonderful, low maintenance vehicle for almost every condition, it is completely unusable in any gravel or snow in any place where you have mild or hilly terrain. I live in the Ozarks. It may say FWD, but only the passenger front wheel with the electric motor drives. My secondary gravel driveway when even mildly wet- will dig a hole. On snow, my worst ever experience. (And I have driven in snow for over 30 years in 2wd and 4wd vehicles.) Even the lightest touch of the pedal can easily create wheel spin.

After 134,000k I do know this vehicle and still appreciate it 98% of the time- but I would gladly trade that little extra mileage for an AWD and some traction when needed. Actually, we are driving the heck out of it so it will finally wear out or need the infamous $6,000 master cylinder replacement so we can scrap it out. At this mileage it's unsellable- but it just might last over 200,000k? Who knows. Gary
Absent the ability to switch off TDC, Traction/Directional Control, in a more modern F/awd FEH you still might not make it up even a slight slippery incline. The manufacturers have now come to realize, finally, just how patently UNSAFE a FWD vehicle, or even a F/awd vehicle can/might be in the conditions you encounter. So the new TDC systems are so hyper-aggressive that you literally cannot move forward on a slippery level road surface. Switch it off to get going and the factory liability becomes ZIP.

Last edited by wwest; 02-18-2011 at 09:11 AM.