Battery Cooling Fan Failure: Warranty or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 04:49 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Battery Cooling Fan Failure: Warranty or Not?

Originally Posted by Alaska
Sometime in the next few days I am going to summarize my experience in hopes that it will be helpful to the next person who has this problem. And you know that there WILL be a next one.
Glad it all worked out in the end Scott. Do put together a "lessons learned" post for the next person, and maybe we can make it a sticky. Do you know specifically what it was that made the dealership do the right thing?

Old 02-13-2012, 09:08 AM
Yes, it's cold

ecololine - I have no idea. I can understand the dealer not wanting to do warranty work knowing that Ford will not reimburse them for that work (because Ford and the dealership both said that the part was not a warranty part). So when Ford called the dealer and told them to reimburse me and that they would in turn reimburse the dealer, then I guess that's what made the dealer take action.

A Ford Customer Relationship Center supervisor is scheduled to call me today (this was set up before I learned that I would be reimbursed). If they call, I will ask if they know what happened. One question I really want to know is why one dealer (the one in PA) enters in the exact same part in their computer as another dealer, and one dealer shows the part as warrantied and the other dealer shows the part as not warrantied. When dealers enter these parts numbers, does the answer come from a computer at Ford Motor Company? Does the answer come from a computer at the dealership (not connected to Ford Motor Company)? If from a computer at the dealership, then does the dealer in PA show the part is warrantied because their computer is has been updated and other dealer's computers have not? I have 20K miles left on my FEH before the hybrid warranty runs out and I would like to know the answers to these questions.

Old 02-17-2012, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by Alaska
Tim K - did you get my PM (post 104)?
Scott
Scott,
I apologize for not getting back to you. I completely forgot I was going to send you that stuff when my wife got back from her trip. I haven't been to the site in over a week so had nothing to remind me.

I'm glad you got everything straightened out and got your money back.

-Tim

Old 02-17-2012, 09:21 AM
Yes, it's cold

Tim,
Thanks. I appreciated the offer.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:05 AM
Yes, it's cold

Thought it odd that I got a letter/packet a couple of days ago from the BBB Auto Line program re:me vs ford Motor Corporation. In the letter, they thanked me for contacting them, they assigned me a case number, and they included a Customer Claim Form (CCF). The form was partially filled out, including my name and address, whose name was on the FEH title, is the vehible in my posession, etc.

The thing is, I've never even contacted them and I'd never requested that they get involved or arbitrate. So I called them and was told that Ford had the BBB send it to me. I guess this is Ford's way of trying to get someone to settle when they know that that someone is getting ready to take them to small claims court.

While I had them on the phone, I told them I still wanted to file a complaint against Ford because of Ford's initially denying the warranty work. I was directed to the local BBB and I will be contacting them.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by GaryG
Scott, I've been thinking about you taking Ford and your Dealer to small claims court about the fans first. That link I posted about the '12 FEH has a section on mediation with the BBB that may be used by Ford in the small claims court to get a judge to dismiss your claim.

9. The Better Business Bureau (BBB)
AUTO LINE Program (U.S. Only)
Your satisfaction is important to Ford Motor Company and to your dealer.
If a warranty concern has not been resolved using the three-step
procedure outlined on the first page of the Customer Assistance section,
you may be eligible to participate in the BBB AUTO LINE program.
The BBB AUTO LINE program consists of two parts - mediation and
arbitration. During mediation, a representative of the BBB will contact
both you and Ford Motor Company to explore options for settlement of
the claim. If an agreement is not reached during mediation and your
claim is eligible, you may participate in the arbitration process. An
arbitration hearing will be scheduled so that you can present your case
in an informal setting before an impartial person. The arbitrator will
consider the testimony provided and make a decision after the hearing.
You are not bound by the decision, but should you choose to accept the
BBB AUTO LINE decision, Ford must abide by the accepted decision as
well. Disputes submitted to the BBB AUTO LINE program are usually
decided within forty days after you file your claim with the BBB
BBB AUTO LINE Application: Using the information provided below,
please call or write to request a program application. You will be asked
for your name and address, general information about your new vehicle,
information about your warranty concerns, and any steps you have
already taken to try to resolve them. A Customer Claim Form will be
mailed that will need to completed, signed, and returned to the BBB
along with proof of ownership. Upon receipt, the BBB will review the
claim for eligibility under the Program Summary Guidelines.
You can get more information by calling BBB AUTO LINE at
1-800-955-5100, or writing to:
BBB AUTO LINE
4200 Wilson Boulevard, Suite 800
Arlington, Virginia 22203-1833
BBB AUTO LINE applications can also be requested by calling the Ford
Motor Company Customer Relationship Center at 1-800-392-3673.
NOTE: Ford Motor Company reserves the right to change eligibility
limitations, modify procedures, or to discontinue this process at any time
without notice and without obligation.
10. State warranty enforcement laws
These state laws - sometimes called “lemon laws” - allow owners to
receive a replacement vehicle or a refund of the purchase price, under
certain circumstances. The laws vary from state to state.
To the extent your state law allows, Ford Motor Company requires that
you first send us a written notification of any defects or non-conformities
that you have experienced with your vehicle. (This will give us the
opportunity to make any needed repairs before you pursue the remedies
provided by your state’s law.)
In all other states where not specifically required by state law, Ford
Motor Company requests that you give us the written notice. Send your
written notification to:
Ford Motor Company
Customer Relationship Center
P.O. Box 6248
Dearborn, MI 48126
http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/g...idWarranty.pdf

GaryG
Gary, since the language is couched in terms of "may", it is discretionary and not mandatory. "Shall", "must", "will" and similar words would be a different story.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:15 AM

Well, my turn to go through this. My 2006 FEH exhibited the same conditions as others reported...after warm-up ICE running continuously, not going into EV mode and the Fan 1 code. Dropped the vehicle off yesterday morning and briefed my service adviser on the information gleaned from this thread. Received a phone call yesterday afternoon from my SA indicating their finding confirming a cooling fan failure, but indicating their belief these fans were external to the battery assembly. I even spoke with the tech who said he found nothing in his materials indicating these fans were internal....decidedly NOT reassuring. I immediately faxed over the picture and diagram of the assembly BillyK posted at the beginning of this thread (Thanks, Billy). As of this morning, my SA indicated they were ordering a new high voltage battery. He mentioned there was an external cooling fan that sat on top of the battery pack that had failed, but would not be covered by warranty. I told him that fan didn't exist and invited him to go visually inspect my car.

As of this afternoon and after another conversation, I am currently in the "TSB 09-17-7 applies to your vehicle which calls for a cooling fan kit that is not covered by the Hybrid Component Warranty" group.

I just sent them additional photographs of the battery pack assembly and fans, the two case numbers listed earlier (thanks for those) and excerpts from the 2006 service manual. I gave them two options..replace the HVTB per the service manual or replace the cooling fans, either under warranty. I will update later, but this is a fairly frustrating experience. My SA knows I'm an attorney, so I'm cautiously hopeful this will be resolved quickly.

Old 03-29-2012, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by GatorJ
Well, my turn to go through this. My 2006 FEH exhibited the same conditions as others reported...after warm-up ICE running continuously, not going into EV mode and the Fan 1 code. Dropped the vehicle off yesterday morning and briefed my service adviser on the information gleaned from this thread. Received a phone call yesterday afternoon from my SA indicating their finding confirming a cooling fan failure, but indicating their belief these fans were external to the battery assembly. I even spoke with the tech who said he found nothing in his materials indicating these fans were internal....decidedly NOT reassuring. I immediately faxed over the picture and diagram of the assembly BillyK posted at the beginning of this thread (Thanks, Billy). As of this morning, my SA indicated they were ordering a new high voltage battery. He mentioned there was an external cooling fan that sat on top of the battery pack that had failed, but would not be covered by warranty. I told him that fan didn't exist and invited him to go visually inspect my car.

As of this afternoon and after another conversation, I am currently in the "TSB 09-17-7 applies to your vehicle which calls for a cooling fan kit that is not covered by the Hybrid Component Warranty" group.

I just sent them additional photographs of the battery pack assembly and fans, the two case numbers listed earlier (thanks for those) and excerpts from the 2006 service manual. I gave them two options..replace the HVTB per the service manual or replace the cooling fans, either under warranty. I will update later, but this is a fairly frustrating experience. My SA knows I'm an attorney, so I'm cautiously hopeful this will be resolved quickly.
Go get them Gator, I don't recommend Ford Electric or hybrids anymore because of this warranty issue.

GaryG

Old 03-29-2012, 04:32 PM

My cautious optimism was misplaced. Tomorrow I start to go up the Ford corporate food chain. I'm sure that will involve more brain numbing conversations. More to follow.

Thanks for the support, GG, and to everyone who contributed to this thread.

Last edited by GatorJ; 03-29-2012 at 04:35 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:41 PM

It's just beyond belief that everyone with this problem has to start all over again. It must be intentional on Ford corporate's part to stonewall on this. Otherwise the dealers would have been instructed to handle this issue in a consistent way.

Keep us posted.

Quick Reply: Battery Cooling Fan Failure: Warranty or Not?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands