Battery Cooling Fan Failure: Warranty or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 09:58 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Battery Cooling Fan Failure: Warranty or Not?

Originally Posted by jennatx
Thanks for a very interesting thread! I know I am a bit off-topic here, but I also have a problem with the HV battery overheating and no EV operation on my 2005 FEH. In my case, however, it's not the HV cooling fans (they work), but rather that the rear evaporator is not cooling at all. I figured this out by removing the black plastic ductwork at the left of the HV pack--with it out I can feel plenty of hot air leaving one vent and plenty of suction on the other. After removing the air filter and holding the vent door open I can see (and feel) the evaporator core, and it is WARM, not cold (all this while engine running, trans in park, cabin A/C turned on and compressor running). Plenty of cold A/C air into the cabin, non for the HV battery. What led me to try this was, as I say, no EV operation, pronounced "lurch" on takeoff and generally poor acceleration from 10 to 30 MPH. Oh, and the metal HV case was so hot that I couldn't hold my hand to it for long. Any idea as to what might be causing this rear A/C failure?
There are two air conditioning lines running along the driver's side of the undercarriage that end into the hybrid battery case. You can see these if you are supine and looking near the driver's side rear wheel. These liines can develop a crack, leak and not cool the hybrid battery properly. One of our posters, GPSMAN1, solved his problem by shooting a can of ??? into the airconditioning system to plug the leak. Try to PM him and see exactly what he used.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:06 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

There are two freon loops, but one freon system. A leak anywhere will deplete the whole system, and you won't have cold air up front.

There is a zone valve for the freon, to open the compressed freon to rear only when needed. Sounds like the zone valve for the freon is not opening.

Could be mechanically stuck closed, or it could be electrical connection fault.

If you have cold air up front, you probably don't have a leak.

Old 08-25-2010, 02:41 PM
Enthusiast

Thank you! I assume it's a solenoid valve, is it in a location where I can look at it? Without having to disassemble any more of the vehicle? And, any feeling for the cost to replace it at the dealer? Sounds like they'd have to remove the freon, replace the valve, then evacuate and re-charge the system...

Old 08-31-2010, 10:47 AM
Enthusiast

Hey guys, I'm new here. Found this site looking into this same Warranty issue. I have a 2006 FEH and the actuator door motor went bad in the Battery cooling system. $500 and I have to pay. Read your manual or go onlinr to download the owner's manual. With the 2006, only 3 things are covered in the "Hybrid related components". ECVT, DC/DC converter and the battery. Very deceptive to me but got it straight from Ford, 1-800-392-3673.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by kmcmullin
Read your manual or go online to download the owner's manual. With the 2006, only 3 things are covered in the "Hybrid related components". ECVT, DC/DC converter and the battery. Very deceptive to me but got it straight from Ford, 1-800-392-3673.
I'm not sure how this is deceptive. It's clearly stated in the owners manual what is covered. In your case, the blend door is not part of the three components listed.

The cooling fans are an integrated part, packaged inside of, the battery. This is why this thread exists because there was an attempt by a dealer to not cover the fans. I think the OP has since gotten the fans replaced under warranty.

Old 08-31-2010, 02:15 PM

Hey guys, I'm new here. Found this site looking into this same Warranty issue. I have a 2006 FEH and the actuator door motor went bad in the Battery cooling system. $500 and I have to pay. Read your manual or go onlinr to download the owner's manual. With the 2006, only 3 things are covered in the "Hybrid related components". ECVT, DC/DC converter and the battery. Very deceptive to me but got it straight from Ford, 1-800-392-3673.
There's a thread here somewhere about replacing the actuator door yourself. IIRC the part was around $12 and labor around 1 hour. The dealer replaced mine (under warranty) while I waited and it didn't take long. Might be worth investigating if they are charging $500. You might also ask for a breakdown (parts & labor) on that $500. It sounds too high.

Old 09-01-2010, 03:54 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MyPart
I'm not sure how this is deceptive. It's clearly stated in the owners manual what is covered. In your case, the blend door is not part of the three components listed.

The cooling fans are an integrated part, packaged inside of, the battery. This is why this thread exists because there was an attempt by a dealer to not cover the fans. I think the OP has since gotten the fans replaced under warranty.
It is deceptive because everywhere, other than a Ford rep, or the owner's manual, It says "Hybrid related components". It doesn't say "certain", "some", "most" or "all". I know the owner's manual is the contract, but when you leave out "Certain", when referring to hybrid components, it leads some to believe that anything that makes it a hybrid is covered. And by the way. In the 2006, the "integrated fans" are not covered. They did cover them in later years but not 05 or 06.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:52 AM

It is deceptive because everywhere, other than a Ford rep, or the owner's manual, It says "Hybrid related components". It doesn't say "certain", "some", "most" or "all". I know the owner's manual is the contract, but when you leave out "Certain", when referring to hybrid components, it leads some to believe that anything that makes it a hybrid is covered. And by the way. In the 2006, the "integrated fans" are not covered. They did cover them in later years but not 05 or 06.
I don't know about you but when I need to know what is and isn't covered under warranty, the WARRANTY GUIDE is a good place to start!

The language in the warranty guide has not changed from 2005-2009.

Here's the language directly from the Warranty Guide for the 2005-2006 FEH from page 7 (link) or the bottom of page 9 for the 2007-2009 FEH (link)

"Escape Hybrid Unique Component Coverage
The New Vehicle Limited Warranty covers certain Escape Hybrid unique
components against defects in factory-supplied materials or workmanship
for eight years after the warranty start date or 100,000 miles, whichever
comes first.

Ford Motor Company or Ford Motor Vehicle Assurance Company covers
these components: high-voltage battery, electronically controlled continuously variable transmission, and the DC/DC converter.
"

ALSO:

I'm pretty sure if you look in post #27 you'll see that Mojos Mom had the fans on her 2005 FEH replaced under warranty.

Last edited by MyPart; 09-01-2010 at 08:54 AM.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:54 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Exclamation Re: Battery Cooling Fan Failure: Warranty or Not?

Right. Saying the battery is covered, but not the battery fans is the same as saying the engine is covered, but not the pistons.

DO NOT PAY FOR ANY BATTERY FANS unless you are past on miles.
( No one is past on years )

Old 09-01-2010, 07:21 PM
Super Moderator

I'd like to point out that the long warranty on hybrid components is NOT the manufacture's idea but is in fact the LAW. In the green states all hybrid components have a great warranty by LAW. It don't matter what some silly Ford dealer thinks nor does it matter what Ford wants, coverage is required by LAW.

Attempting to locate text of such laws...

Quick Reply: Battery Cooling Fan Failure: Warranty or Not?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands