Brake Failure

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 04:47 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Brake Failure

Originally Posted by annied
oh and I am by no means READY for this technology. Like I have said before, I don't know anything about cars, regular or hybrid, but IMO that's what we have dealers and mechanics for, so that they help us in case we have problems and so they educate us enough that we can safely drive these cars. In my case that didn't happen and I dealt with five different dealers.
Aside from dealer issues...

One thing to remember is that brakes fail on non-hybrid cars as well. I've seen no evidence that the FEH system is more prone to failure in any way. Wires can be just as reliable a connection to a system as standard hydraulic system. Hopefully that makes one a little less nervous now that its fixed.

Old 05-14-2008, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by TeeSter
Aside from dealer issues...

One thing to remember is that brakes fail on non-hybrid cars as well. I've seen no evidence that the FEH system is more prone to failure in any way. Wires can be just as reliable a connection to a system as standard hydraulic system. Hopefully that makes one a little less nervous now that its fixed.
Nothing like a timely example:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080514/...rd_recall_dc_1

It doesn't have to be new or high-tech.... to have a problem.

Old 05-14-2008, 01:53 PM
Enthusiast
Talking Re: Brake Failure

I got my car back a couple of weeks ago and so far, so good! The breaks seem to be working OK, but I guess I won't know for sure until I have another beeak failure.

Old 05-15-2008, 06:19 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

I noticed in the article they are doing the recall on the F150 after "11 reports of brake failure". If that is not testament of the fact they take this seriously, I don't know what is.

Thus, it is safe to say, a brake failure is very, very rare in the FEH.

Since I've heard of 3 cases, that may be ALL of the cases!
-john
Originally Posted by TeeSter
Nothing like a timely example:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080514/...rd_recall_dc_1

It doesn't have to be new or high-tech.... to have a problem.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:00 AM
Enthusiast

It is reassuring. But I have read of more than 3 cases with brake failure. Now, I assume that there are several things that can lead to brake failure, in my case apparently it was not the brake system that was faulty but rather the power supply. My car runs well so far and driving it, I must say I know why we bought it.... it its quite nice. Now if only it stays that way!

Old 08-18-2010, 09:10 AM
Enthusiast

Ford has had our 2009 Escape Hybrid (8k miles) for over 2 weeks now. They have sent in techs and have sent data to their engineers. Still no answer to why the brakes completely went out at 35mph with no warning lights, and when we got the car to a stop, and turned it off then on, the brakes worked again. I am glad they are taking this seriously, but maybe we are not ready to drive a new gen car. I know brakes go out on cars all the time, but usually they can find what is wrong and fix it. If they don't know what's wrong, well, who knows when it will happen again, and what the outcome of complete brake failure will be next time.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:31 AM

dontlikedriving, I hope you filed a safety complaint. If not, please do so at https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/Complaint.cfm

Old 08-18-2010, 09:38 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WaltPA
dontlikedriving, I hope you filed a safety complaint. If not, please do so at https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/Complaint.cfm
Yes we have filed the complaint. Seems to be a common problem in hybrids and the response of "no code no problem" seems to be very common also. I'm just hoping Ford gives us a fair price for a trade in, it's our 4th Ford in 15 years and I want to keep buying them, but I don't feel I can drive a Hybrid until these issues have been resolved. We've proven our owner loyalty, guess we will see how Fords loyalty is to it's customers.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by dontlikedriving
Yes we have filed the complaint. Seems to be a common problem in hybrids and the response of "no code no problem" seems to be very common also. I'm just hoping Ford gives us a fair price for a trade in, it's our 4th Ford in 15 years and I want to keep buying them, but I don't feel I can drive a Hybrid until these issues have been resolved. We've proven our owner loyalty, guess we will see how Fords loyalty is to it's customers.
Hybrids do have a rather unusual aspect in that the hydraulically actuated frictional brakes must be FULLY BLOCKED from functionality during periods of regen ONLY braking. And there seems to be no backup failsafe if that blocking doesn't release when/as it should.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:09 AM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by wwest
Hybrids do have a rather unusual aspect in that the hydraulically actuated frictional brakes must be FULLY BLOCKED from functionality during periods of regen ONLY braking. And there seems to be no backup failsafe if that blocking doesn't release when/as it should.
If regen braking is taking place and it detects that you are pressing harder on the brake pedal, meaning regen isn't enough, it applys the brake pads. It all in the brake pedal, it detects speed, presure, etc., it's not your standard suspended pedal.

Quick Reply: Brake Failure

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands