Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 01:25 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Brakes

Originally Posted by WaltPA
So, does the fact that the rear wear at twice the rate support my thought that the rears are always in use (when braking)?
It certainly seems to at least imply that.... the USUAL wear pattern on a vehicle is actually the reverse of this... the front brakes usually wear much faster than the rears.

Old 08-20-2007, 01:28 PM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

Yes so what they are saying is you will replace the rear brakes first, most likely at or near 80,000 mi. And maybe the fronts at 140,000 mi. One of the undisccused benifits of a hybrid

Old 08-20-2007, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Mark E Smith
Yes so what they are saying is you will replace the rear brakes first, most likely at or near 80,000 mi. And maybe the fronts at 140,000 mi. One of the undisccused benifits of a hybrid
Using "L" like I do may increase the life of the rear brakes pads and rotor much beyond 80,000 miles. Walt ask were the rear brakes always in use and most likely some rear brakes are used, but remember the hole idea is to save as much energy as possible. My habit is to use "L" to slow the vehicle before relying on the computer to use the rear pads. The hypermilers call it DWB (driving without brake) and you'll save gas in any car trying to use this technique. The rubber on my brake pedal looks new at 40,000 miles and I hope it will look new at 100,000 miles.

Back to Walt's question, it all depends on how much brake force you request at the pedal and conditions for regen. If the SOC is high, the battery or traction motor is hot or the outside temperature is below 50F, your going to have more use of the pads and less regen. In ideal conditions, you can almost get ~80-90% regen in "L" at throttle back and 100% with a little more brake pedal pressure. This slows the vehicle down pretty fast in the '05 model.

GaryG

Old 08-21-2007, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by GaryG
Using "L" like I do may increase the life of the rear brakes pads and rotor much beyond 80,000 miles. Walt ask were the rear brakes always in use and most likely some rear brakes are used, but remember the hole idea is to save as much energy as possible. My habit is to use "L" to slow the vehicle before relying on the computer to use the rear pads. The hypermilers call it DWB (driving without brake) and you'll save gas in any car trying to use this technique. The rubber on my brake pedal looks new at 40,000 miles and I hope it will look new at 100,000 miles.

Back to Walt's question, it all depends on how much brake force you request at the pedal and conditions for regen. If the SOC is high, the battery or traction motor is hot or the outside temperature is below 50F, your going to have more use of the pads and less regen. In ideal conditions, you can almost get ~80-90% regen in "L" at throttle back and 100% with a little more brake pedal pressure. This slows the vehicle down pretty fast in the '05 model.

GaryG
From what you've posted though Gary it appears that when regen is applied the force developed is only applied through the front wheels even in the AWD model... true? I'm really curious as to what kind of control/differential they have to send power to the back wheels during drive mode. Its not electric only... we know that. If it were a normal differenetial, then this whole 200times per second would be a load of crap because there isn't any smarts in it making decisions.... so I'm curious as to what kind of transfer mechanism there is.... is there any info in those manuals of yours?

Curiousity of an AWD owner.

Old 08-21-2007, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by TeeSter
If it were a normal differenetial, then this whole 200times per second would be a load of crap because there isn't any smarts in it making decisions.... so I'm curious as to what kind of transfer mechanism there is.... is there any info in those manuals of yours?
Its the same front/rear transfer case that is used in the gas-only models, no?

AWD system makes use of the ABS system's smarts. When the front wheels spin faster under acceleration than the rear, it engages the transfer case to send power to the rear wheels. That power comes from what ever is providing power (electric, gas, both) to the front wheels.

Now, while the sensor can measure slip 200 times per second, I doubt the transfer case can be engaged/disengaged/reengaged that fast.

Old 08-21-2007, 07:06 AM

AWD system makes use of the ABS system's smarts. When the front wheels spin faster under acceleration than the rear, it engages the transfer case to send power to the rear wheels. That power comes from what ever is providing power (electric, gas, both) to the front wheels.

Now, while the sensor can measure slip 200 times per second, I doubt the transfer case can be engaged/disengaged/reengaged that fast.
Is there some sort of clutch in there then?

Old 08-21-2007, 08:09 AM

Okay Guys, I'll just quote the manual and stay away from clutches and engagements. We all know the history on that subject.

Rear Drive Axle and Differential:

"The rear axle drive pinion receives power from the engine through the transaxle, transfer case, driveshaft, and active torque coupling, and is always engaged."

"When it is necessary for one wheel and halfshaft to rotate faster than the other, the faster turning differential side gear causes the differential pinion gears to roll on the slower turning differential side gear. This allows differential action between the two halfshafts." Section 205-02-1

GaryG

Old 08-21-2007, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by GaryG
Okay Guys, I'll just quote the manual and stay away from clutches and engagements. We all know the history on that subject.

Rear Drive Axle and Differential:

"The rear axle drive pinion receives power from the engine through the transaxle, transfer case, driveshaft, and active torque coupling, and is always engaged."

"When it is necessary for one wheel and halfshaft to rotate faster than the other, the faster turning differential side gear causes the differential pinion gears to roll on the slower turning differential side gear. This allows differential action between the two halfshafts." Section 205-02-1

GaryG
Good point... I certainly wasn't trying to start that other "discussion" again.

Old 01-13-2011, 01:58 PM
Enthusiast

Hello!

Could you, please, help me in my problem.

I'm owner of the o8'Ford Escape Hybrid.
During the Brake Fluid Replacement without Power Bleeder, I've encountered the following problem:

According to manual, scan tool was connected and corresponding service routine "Brake Fluid replacement without power bleeder" was selected.

For first 3of 4 bleeder screws following instructions screens were provided:

1) Attach fluid container, open the bleeder screw, press tick to continue.
2) Fully press and release the brake pedal 10 times, press tick to abort.

During the each press\release step system increased counter from 0 to 10.
After the 10th step it provided instruction to close the current bleeder screw and proceed to the next.

On the last (left front) bleeder screw system proposed to
"Fully press and release the brake pedal 30 times"

But after the 10th press\release counter stopped.
Each following pedal press from 11 to 30 didn't increase the counter. Also brake pedal vibrated during the each press from 11 to 30 (like ABS).
Even after 30 presses, scan tool didn't provide any new information.
It seems it hung after 10 steps.

After that System cannot complete initialization with Error C1525.

I've tried to do this again 4 times - each time system proposed to do 30 presses for the last screw and stopped on the 10th press.

Now, my Escape hybrid has no brakes. I live in Eastern Europe, there is no special support for USA cars near me.

If you earned this problem, or know how to resolve it - please, help me.

Best regards.
Andrey from Ukraine.