Cold Weather Effects on the FEH/MMH

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 07:51 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Cold Weather Effects on the FEH/MMH

Originally Posted by GaryG
Second, the use of KEY-OFF FAS (forced auto stop) during warm-up. It almost seems the FEH was designed for KEY-OFF FAS because of how well it works.
You shut the engine off while it's warming? And this helps? Seems counter-intuitive. Is that technique in the FAQ? I don't want to make you explain it again if it's already in writing, I just don't remember reading about that.

Old 02-20-2007, 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by Brady
You shut the engine off while it's warming? And this helps? Seems counter-intuitive. Is that technique in the FAQ? I don't want to make you explain it again if it's already in writing, I just don't remember reading about that.
Brady, it's not in the FEH/MMH FAQ, but it is a comon pratice amoung hypermilers. Many things seem counter-intuitive until you see the results. When I first found out about people using FAS in other vehicles, I did not think FAS would be a benifit in my FEH. I was dead wrong! Why wait to go EV and ICE off when you can glide ICE off in neutral at the turn of a key? Sure, it takes longer to go EV during warm-up if you kill the engine, but the KAM (keep alive memory) stores each time you have a short on and off of the ignition till the ICE is ready for EV. You can bump the key to restart at any speed above 6mph, but below 6mph you must go to "Park" to restart the ICE. This allows the PCM (powertrain control module) to pick-up where it left off during these short on and off ignition switches for warm-up. I say screw the cold and middle east oil. An engine that is off, does not burn fuel.

If you watch the Charge/Assist gauge and the RPM gauge at first start-up, you will see that the FEH/MMH is using the electric motors and the ICE remains at an idle during slow acceleration. Use this time to increase speed and save fuel. If the speed like in my area is around 35mph, you can get up to 40+mph and KEY-OFF FAS in "N" and coast. If you have stoplights like I do, you can coast to them till you stop with the ICE off or restart in "N" and shift to "D" to continue to make a green light if it changes. This all sounds strange, because it is a new way of saving fuel many never considered. BTW, your saving the planet also!

If anyone has more questions, let me know. This is new to this and other boards, but I feel some may want to consider it to improve mileage all year long.

GaryG

Old 02-20-2007, 05:12 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GaryG
If you watch the Charge/Assist gauge and the RPM gauge at first start-up, you will see that the FEH/MMH is using the electric motors and the ICE remains at an idle during slow acceleration.
I can't accelerate with an RPM of less than about 2,000 without getting honked at or flipped off. I've been to Florida a few times and you guys move at a whole different speed down there!

I have a few follow-up questions about FAS but I don't want to hi-jack the cold weather thread any further. Maybe I'll send you a PM.

Old 02-20-2007, 06:57 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I had never heard of KEY OFF FAS either, it's certainly not something I ever plan on doing but it is definitely interesting. Heck, when it's 2º outside the last thing on my mind is shutting the engine off........

I have been going outside lately, starting the truck, turning on the seat heaters & returning to the house for a few more cups of coffee before venturing out(I don't care how much gas it wastes, I don't like freezing to death on my way to work).

Now today, for some reason the temp shot up to 45º at one point & I got 31 mpg today including a stretch at 70 mph on a local expressway.........

~John

Old 02-20-2007, 08:18 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Me Three!

When it's below 0'F and my commute to work is just 9 miles... there is NO WAY... NO TECHNIQUE... that is going to get me into EV.

(that 9 miles takes me about 12 minutes)

Even though my ICE is up to normal temperature in maybe 4 minutes... my battery is not... and it's not going to get there in 12 minutes... and when it's that cold, Fake Shift, Double Tap, Neutral Tap, L gear, etc... usually does not work either... so yes.. in those rare cases... I DO use defrost setting... and I don't really pay attention to the hybrid gauges (much). Going on ski trips up steep slopes with skis on a roof rack and lots of gear, I know I'm not going to set any records, so I even use cruise control! I still drive on the gentle side, and do a lot of coasting. I've managed about 32-33 MPG... and this IS Hypermiler status at 0'F!

BTW, cabin heater usage will cool your radiator water ( and engine block ) at about 5'F per minute when you are in engine off mode with below freezing conditions. The car needs to stay above 140'F to enable EV driving. When I'm at a long stop, such as at a bank teller or drive-thru, I always shift to N when in EV. This will keep the engine off when just sitting there... forever, or until you put the car in drive, whichever comes first!

-John

Ha! Me too! We had like three weeks of temps below 32, with most of that below 10. No matter what I tried to do my tanks went down and down. 29, 28, 27, 26. So I went back to driving like an average leadfoot for a while. Today was finally warm enough that I saw my average creep up again! Woohoo! Now I'll have to re-hybridize.

Old 02-21-2007, 07:25 AM

I can't accelerate with an RPM of less than about 2,000 without getting honked at or flipped off. I've been to Florida a few times and you guys move at a whole different speed down there!

I have a few follow-up questions about FAS but I don't want to hi-jack the cold weather thread any further. Maybe I'll send you a PM.
Brady, I can't accelerate at less than than 2,000 RPM all the time either, but when I can, I do. Many times I am leaving traffic (slowly) behind me to prepare for a glide in neutral, and they play catch up to me. The key is to choose routes that I can drive with great FE, like those with fewer stops and mild speed limits, but I also know how to drive the freeway at high speeds and get great FE. The Scangauge helps me track how I'm doing and I know I can raise my average the further I drive. Turning a 30mpg average into a 48mpg average happens almost everyday with me, but you must be persistant and not give up.

One thing I try to do is explain how I drive for FE. You and anyone else can ask me questions of what methods I use to get much better than EPA comparisons at any time. I've been ask to write articles and have been interviewed on the FEH on how I get the mileage I do. See http://www.cleanmpg.com/ and http://hybridcars.com/ because I will share what I know to help others. I don't want to brag, just help others who want to improve their mileage.

This Key-Off FAS thing is new to me and I'll be experimenting alot in the near future. The steering wheel does not lock unless you remove the key from the ignition switch, but you do lose power steering which is no big deal. The brakes work the same as when in EV, but like I said, I turn the key to the on position to get the gauges back and maintain my scangauge MPG readings. As far as using FAS, I use it in both warm-up and during the day when I see an advantage to improve my mileage. Yesterday, I experimented on my 70mpg route to see if I could improve that. Fell a little short, but I had a headwind to deal with. Still managed 60+ MPG on that test.

GaryG

Old 02-21-2007, 08:12 AM

Try accelerating with the RPM at 0 (EV mode). That really upsets those behind ya.

Yea, Florida. When I visit my family down there, they are all so paranoid about speed. My father freeks out if I go 1 MPH over the limit. It seems that there is a radar unit every 1/4 mile! I am use to PA, where radar units are illegal.

Old 02-21-2007, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by WaltPA
Try accelerating with the RPM at 0 (EV mode). That really upsets those behind ya.

Yea, Florida. When I visit my family down there, they are all so paranoid about speed. My father freeks out if I go 1 MPH over the limit. It seems that there is a radar unit every 1/4 mile! I am use to PA, where radar units are illegal.
No question there is some bad drivers here in South Florida, but we have fast drivers (must be visiting) also. At one time, I did drive slow to save gas, but there is no need too once you know how to save gas all the way to 75mph.

It's funny, when I have a friend in my FEH and driving "normal" and not paying close attention to my techniques or the gauges and then look at my results before I turn the key off. Even though I did not get high 40's or low 50's, I somehow end up with ~43mpg not even paying attention and having good conversation with a friend. At one time, I had to work my butt off for 43mpg and sometimes still do in certain conditions. It's all habbits now I think, because I get good mileage in every car I drive now. Took my Dad to the Miami Airport a few weeks ago in his 2001 Towncar and averaged 31mpg on that 180 mile RT. Drove that tank out and averaged 29mpg. That car has never seen a 29mpg tank in it's life. The fact is, many FEH owners have reported they have improve their nonhybrid car mileage also.

When I use to street race, I would take off keeping the tires from lighting up for the best hole shot. Same technique applies in my FEH at stoplights and signs. I've learned how to take off in EV pretty darn good without starting the ICE. I try to come out first in my lane and get to 20mph before I start holding back traffic, which I am against. When no one is behind me, I have no problem getting to 37mph from a dead stop if I have the battery SoC and no headwind to deal with. Many times I don't have the SoC and just want to get moving to prepare for enough SoC for the next stop (ICE-OFF).

When I first got my FEH, I read a blog about how to drive a car. The author stated he does not drive a car, he operates it like a fine piece of machinery. Smart man IMHO.

GaryG

Old 03-03-2007, 12:48 PM
ck8
Enthusiast

Well this just sucks....Just gassed up and I had a wopping 24.9 mpg!! Woo Hoo! Seriously, I guess this spate of cold weather in MD did me in. Pretty pathetic that 20-30 degree weather drops my FE by 5mpg. This is not a small percentage.

Old 03-03-2007, 02:46 PM

I got 24.5 on my last tank in upstate NY.

~John

Quick Reply: Cold Weather Effects on the FEH/MMH

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands