Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Ford Escape Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/)
-   -   Considering Escape - Questions (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/considering-escape-questions-2449/)

dohearne 06-01-2005 06:08 PM

Considering Escape - Questions

I am seriously considering buying the Ford Escape but I have a couple of questions. First, I live in Vermont and I was curious if anyone has cold weather experience with the hybrid (temperatures in the -20 deg F range)? Secondly, Consumer Reports does not recommend the Escape due to tip ups noted in government roll over testing. Does anyone have any comments on this?

Jason 06-02-2005 09:05 AM

Re: Considering Escape - Questions

In extremely cold weather your car will take longer to get the hybrid system working, so your mileage will definitely be lower. So, the benefits of the hybrid version won't be as great. You'll still have increased fuel economy over the non-hybrid, however. Can't comment on the rollover, sorry :(

cdbrow1 06-02-2005 11:02 AM

My experiance in sub-freezing temps is good, but I have no experiance with sub-zero. I know Ford tested them in Northern Cananda in winter. The FEH handles ice very well in my view.

The roll over issue is insane. It handles very well and does not seem to have any roll over tendancy. I did grow up driving trucks and jeeps so I know how to drive a high center of gravity vehicle and the FEH handles much more like a car than any truck or SUV I have driven.

I believe the FEH sits slightly lower than a standard escape, if so it is more stable than the normal version.

Chris Brown

sdctcher 06-02-2005 07:11 PM

The best place I have found for the safety aspect is a government link below. I used this some time ago for an article that is published on another website (I can send you email a PDF if you want a copy - email me). For 2005 the FEH got 3 stars vs. 4 stars for the other hybrids which were not high clearance SUVs. It is not a biggie.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/testing/ncap/

Hope this helps.

Mike

dohearne 06-03-2005 03:36 AM

Mike, thanks for the reply and the website link. I am not overly concerned because, as another responder noted, I am not an aggressive driver. I have test driven the FEH and was impressed with how it handled.

nitramjr 06-03-2005 08:18 AM

I have had the FEH (FWD) for a couple months now and have noticed that now that the weather has FINALLY warmed up around here, my average mph has gone up by about 1 to 1.5. I only have 4000 miles on it so it is tough to tell if it is due to the warmer weather or just the vehicle being broken in. My lifetime average mpg according to the gauge is 32.1 mpg.

I also have an '04 Escape with the V-6 and the Hybrid will outhandle it any day. Both are FWD only. The only handling problem I have seen is if you accelerate heavily from a stop with the wheels turned (like changing lanes in traffic)- major torque steer when the gas engine kicks in. Once you know to expect it, no problem.

tdmsu 06-04-2005 06:41 PM

We ordered a 2006 Escape on Thursday... the salesman said it would be 6-8 weeks... I'll keep you posted. :)

Pravus Prime 06-04-2005 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by tdmsu
We ordered a 2006 Escape on Thursday... the salesman said it would be 6-8 weeks... I'll keep you posted. :)

Oh, you're going to join the club? Congrats!

As for myself, I'm still wowed by it. My MPG is shooting up, the more I drive it, and I'm also adapting to it faster than I thought.

Living in Michigan, I'm expecting my efficiency to drop when winter rolls around, a small price to pay, I think.

firemothjoe 06-05-2005 11:12 AM

I'm brand-spankin new to this forum, and am considering getting a FEH to use as a security patroller. The constant stop-go stop-go at <10mph seems to be an ideal use for a hybrid. It's also good to hear that it does well in the winter.

xcel 06-05-2005 12:19 PM

Hi Firemothjoe:

___The following articles might be of particular interest to you? I am in contact with my corporations Environment lead and the Escape HEV is one of the top picks in our discussions given the security driving style in particular.

FORD ESCAPE HYBRID SETS SUV MILEAGE RECORD IN 37-HOUR NON-STOP DRIVING TEST ON A TANK OF GAS

NEW YORK, APRIL 7, 2004 - After being driven non-stop for 37 hours as part of an extreme driving test throughout Manhattan, taking on traffic congestion, morning and evening rush hours, the all-new 2005 Ford Escape Hybrid traveled an amazing 576 miles on a single tank of gas during this epic drive. The Escape Hybrid, the world's first hybrid sport utility vehicle, averaged more than 38 miles per gallon.
Ford Motor Company Previews All-New 2005 Escape Hybrid at Lohas 8 Forum

Ford recently invited media and celebrities to drive the Escape Hybrid throughout Manhattan to determine how far it could go on one tank of gas through New York City's treacherous traffic. After 37 non-stop hours of driving, the Escape Hybrid traveled an astonishing 576 miles on 15 gallons of fuel with near zero emissions. "We proved that the Escape Hybrid will perform exceptionally well in the worst traffic imaginable with clean efficiency," said Martin Collins, general marketing manager, Ford Division. "As the most fuel efficient and cleanest SUV, we believe the Escape Hybrid complements the attitudes and values of LOHAS participants."
Escape Hybrid Takes on Manhattan Rush Hour

Ford enlisted the help of local New Yorkers who were asked to help identify five of the most congested, slowest moving roads leading into the city during morning rush hour traffic. More than 1,000 people voted online at a specially designated Web site. Tuesday morning, five Escape Hybrids put the toughest routes to the test.

And the winner was: Route 78 into the Holland Tunnel from Jersey City. It proved to be the absolute worst place to be during rush hour in the New York metro area, taking 40 minutes to drive 9.6 miles. But the real victor was the Escape Hybrid. Even driving under such demanding traffic conditions, the vehicle achieved double the fuel economy numbers of a conventional SUV.

The results were impressive, but not so surprising, according to Feuell who says that unlike other conventional vehicles, the Escape Hybrid performs best in stop-and-go traffic.

"When the driver is operating at lower speeds, such as 25 miles per hour or less, the gas engine actually shuts off, and the vehicle can propel itself in battery mode only," she said. "So, not only are you getting amazing fuel economy, but the regenerative braking system also works to recharge the battery while you're driving.

While putting the five finalist routes to the test, the Escape Hybrid had an average fuel economy of 36.4 miles per gallon and gave off virtually zero emissions. The miles per gallon ranged from 31.5 to 42.7 on the five vehicles. A typical SUV averages 16.5 miles per gallon in city driving and can't match the partial zero emissions level of the Escape Hybrid.
ROUND-TRIP

The Hybrid inched past Exit 25—Utopia Parkway!—and the race was on. 7:51 a.m. A display on the dash indicated that the car was averaging 42.6 miles per gallon. The speed was about five miles per hour.The windows were beginning to fog up, owing to the fact that Kroswek, to goose the mileage, had decided to forgo air-conditioning or heat. Feuell decided to find out how one of her colleagues was doing, in terms of fuel-economy optimization. On her cell phone she called Sheri Shapiro, who was at that moment creeping along the Connecticut Turnpike. “What are you guys running?” Feuell said. The readout on the dash went from 59.8 to “max.” “We’re on max!” Feuell said. Shapiro was at 34.8.
___If that doesn’t stoke the “I want a new car fire”, I don’t know what will ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

firemothjoe 06-05-2005 01:56 PM

Thanks for all that info Wayne! Yeah, my mind is made up... FEH all the way. Now all I have to do is wait for my local Planet Ford is to have it's next sale.

Gas Pirates 06-07-2005 03:47 AM

Get one! We live in Maine and got our 2WD in February. Took it skiing ;) (well, to the mountains - both in Maine and the White Mountains) and were impressed with it's handling. Even during the spring thaw when the roads were all mud and ooze we still made it down roads, something we never would have tried in the station wagon (Saturn LW200).

The only downside we have is my communte is less than 2 miles from home, so there's not much time for the FEH to get charged and switch off the gas before getting to work - if I take the detour for :cup: and donuts for the office I end up running part way on batteries. In hindsight, I wish I knew it did not immediately operate in electric mode because that was our naive thought, however, the 15+ mpg improvement over the wagon just going to work and home is enough to keep us happy.

zadscmc 06-07-2005 06:22 AM

I live in NJ and we had a couple of pretty bad cold spells this winter. Our FEH AWD performed admirably. While the mileage was a bit lower than what we are getting now that the weather has warmed up, we still managed the upper 20s mpg. Now, we are closer to 32-34.

As for the roll over issues, I got the FEH for my family car. The wife drives the kids everywhere with it. We don't drive it hard, we don't abuse the vehicle, and we don't speed around the back roads of western NJ with abandon. I think that mitigates the roll over risk nicely.

Good luck!

sdctcher 06-07-2005 08:06 AM

Just something I repost every so often. For those considering the 2006 Ford Escape Hybrid, I have PDF copies of an Ordering Guide and a Pricing Guide. These are invaluable tools to read before you go to a dealer.

I will email these to you if you drop me a request email.

Mike

copyboy1 06-07-2005 09:56 AM

Just to post an alternate viewpoint here...

We have over 5000 miles on our 4wd FEH and we're still getting about 23mpg. We've tried every trick in the book to get better gas mileage. We've taken it to the dealer 3 times - they say nothing's wrong. And frankly, we're really disappointed with the fuel efficiency we're getting. We bought the FEH because we expected to get close to the 30mpg Ford claims. If we knew we'd only get 23, we would have bought something else.

So just be warned that if you're considering an FEH and expect to get 30+mpg, there are no guarantees you'll end up happy with your purchase.

zadscmc 06-07-2005 10:12 AM

Copyboy,

I am suprised to hear that you are only getting about 23 in the FEH. I was able to get 25 driving from Pittsburgh, PA to Stockton, NJ, fully loaded, with a roof top carrier packed to the gils.

Does the car go into autostop? If it does, have you experimented (maybe in a parking lot), with driving only on EV? It took a few times for us to figure out how to run the car on the battery only up to about 35 mph.

Why the techs at the shop may not have found a problem may be an experience issue; they may not have the experience of driving the vehicle on a regular basis, and may not notice a problem that a hypermiler would think was obvious. (Makes you think how jet aircraft mechanics fix airliners when they are not pilots.)

If you are not keeping a mileage log, I'd suggest starting one. If you are, maybe you can talk out a typical trip with someone here. There are some ultra hypermilers (nudges xcel), who may be able to point out an area to investigate.

Don't give up on it yet.

copyboy1 06-07-2005 04:00 PM

I've been over my FEH problems in other threads here. I bought it in November and got about 17 mpg for the first 2000 miles, 20 mpg for the next 1000, and I've been stuck on 23 for the last 2000+ miles.

I don't live in a cold area, drive agressively, etc., etc., etc. And like I said, I've tried every trick in the book on this site (and others) to get the most from the FEH. Nothing seems to work.

In looking at the real mileage charts on this site (which I don't input on), there are several FEHs that get below 25 mpg, and I know of several other owners who aren't getting the advertised mileage.

So all I'm saying is, if you want to buy this car solely for the improved gas mileage, there's a chance you could end up quite disappointed. I'm not saying don't buy one, I just want people to be aware that there are possible downsides.

sweetbeet 06-08-2005 06:49 AM

Re: Considering Escape - questions (actually, low mileage)

If I were only getting 23 MPG, I'd be so hopping mad:angry: ... here in NY, I'd bring a "Lemon Law" case to court and try to get the car replaced. Given that most of the FEHs seem to do so much better than that (my last tank was 31.5 mpg, still going up (thanks to the nice weather, and perhaps breaking in - I have less than 2000 miles on 'er so far)), it might pay to go for a replacement (rather than asking for your money back, which would be a long shot). I know that low mileage doesn't usually give rise to an actionable claim, but for a car like this, where such "out of range" mileage is probably a symptom of an actual malfunction of some type, the technology is so new, and mileage is one of its hottest "selling points," you might have a chance, particularly if all you want is a replacement.

Have you inquired as to your possible legal remedies in whatever state you're in (besides a state of exasperation, that is)?

For that matter, have you asked the dealer if it would consider replacing the car, or perhaps giving you a "loaner" FEH for a couple of weeks so you could see if it is something about your driving or the terrain, or truly a problem with this particular vehicle?

Just a couple of ideas, forgive me if you've been over this before.

C.

sdctcher 06-08-2005 01:09 PM

I know you said you have been to the dealers but please have them try to flash your firmware just once with the new version just to make you happier. They should not charge you if you go through your saleperson. This would eliminate any bugs inherent from the factory.

Mike

Sadie 06-08-2005 04:42 PM

Hi there,

I was unhappy too with the mileage when I first got my Hybrid. One thing that helped me was to reset the mpg calucation that displays on the dashboard screen. That eliminated the crappy mileage that was still effecting the caluclation from when the dealer had the car. I jumped from 24.7 MPG to 28.4 MPG instantly. The mpg fomula uses all the mileage since the beginning of time or the last reset. If you haven't reset your mileage, the lousy mileage from the beginning of the car's life will still be dragging down the number you see.

Just a thought,

Sadie

copyboy1 06-08-2005 05:45 PM

Sdctcher, I'll give that a try. I think the dealer is getting frustrated every time we bring it in and he never finds anything wrong. I think we might try a different dealer this time.

Sadie, yeah, we reset the mileage with every tank. We were getting such poor mileage at the beginning, we wanted to see what kind of difference our refined driving styles were making.

I want to stress that I don't think the FEH is a terrible car. I just think that 99% of the coments here are positive, and I thought it might be a good idea to offer a viewpoint that offsets the raised expectations people might get from all the satisfied owners here. Too high of expectations can be a bad thing.

nitramjr 06-08-2005 07:49 PM

Save me the trouble of memorizing the book - how do you reset it?

My average mileage per the gauge doubled today - from 8 mpg at the dealer to 16+ at my house 7 miles away.....I now have 13 miles on the '06!

Sadie 06-09-2005 06:06 PM

To reset the MPG, make sure that the dashboard display is on the MPG screen and thn press and hold the SET button next to the info button until it resets. You can do this either while you're moving or sitting still. For a real hoot, reset it while you're driving in EV mode.

Sadie

nitramjr 06-09-2005 06:14 PM

Thanks Sadie. I'm going to clear my new one (13 miles) so I can start from scratch with it - it currently shows 16 mpg average...

tdmsu 07-15-2005 07:19 PM

We had to cancel our 06 FEH order... I got a job in another state, and the move will be costly enough for us to delay our switch to hybrid for a year or so... I am disappointed in not getting the FEH, but I am excited about my new job! Our new locale has great mass transit (DC), so we may be able to trade in both of our cars on one hybrid next year...

sdctcher 07-15-2005 08:29 PM

Nitramjr-
You can also keep a feel for how many miles to empty (on the dash) by hitting 'SET' when it shows 'Low Fuel'. You have to again hit 'SET' at 25 miles to and 10 miles to. At that point most people will have a gallon left in the tank.