Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Ford Escape Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/)
-   -   Continental Contitrac EcoPlus Tires (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/continental-contitrac-ecoplus-tires-7494/)

Redfire FEH 05-23-2006 09:30 AM

Continental Contitrac EcoPlus Tires

Has anyone located a place to purchase a Continental Contitrac EcoPlus Tire?
I was considering getting one to use as full size spare. I spoke with the dealership, the parts dept called Continental to check the price. Continental said the Contitrac EcoPlus was discontinued and that they were replacing it with the regular Contitrac tire.

randykato 05-23-2006 10:16 AM

Re: Continental Contitrac EcoPlus Tires

Somebody else is having trouble getting a replacement as well. If it is indeed discontinued, maybe that explains why the EPA numbers dropped 1MPG for the new models.

gpsman1 05-23-2006 07:37 PM

This is a very good theory, RandyKato. On Continental's web site, the "EcoPlus" brand name is used for OTR semi truck tires, and does list it as a low rolling resistance tire. There is no mention of a size for passenger cars or SUV's.

I emailed Ford and am waiting for a replay. You'll know more when I do!

-John

haskellf 06-01-2006 11:00 AM

This type of tire is rated as the best for fuel economy but at the expense of traction. It is the worst tire to drive in the rain, on slick surfaces and unpaved roads. If you look at Consumer reports listing about tires, it lists this data.

Frankly, my life is more important than a couple of extra MPG. I was driving my FEH with these tires during a rain storm on the highway and had serious control problems. As a result, I returned to the dealership, purchased some great Goodyear Assurance tires and sold my tires to one of the mechanics.

Happily, the next huge rain storm hit the next week and I certainly felt the difference in control. I was hitting speeds up to 80mph with total control. I feel so much more secure driving my FEH now that I have proper tires.

Perhaps the lack of control with the ecoContinental tires is why they are switching to more conventional tires. I would take control over mpg's anyday.

GeekGal 06-01-2006 11:25 AM

80mph in heavy rain? Must rain a lot where you are. If a single drop falls from the sky here, that's enough to cause a spate of traffic accidents! (Yes, it happens to be raining right now!)

WaltPA 02-07-2007 05:34 AM

Continental ContiTrac EcoPlus

GaryG 02-07-2007 05:47 AM

Thanks for that link Walt, that's a good price!

GaryG

Tim K 02-07-2007 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by haskellf (Post 65723)

Frankly, my life is more important than a couple of extra MPG.

Happily, the next huge rain storm hit the next week and I certainly felt the difference in control. I was hitting speeds up to 80mph with total control.

I would take control over mpg's anyday.

Um....so your life is NOT more important than arriving a couple of minutes early????

80MPH in the rain and you are talking about safety....

WaltPA 02-07-2007 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by GaryG (Post 110983)
Thanks for that link Walt, that's a good price!

GaryG

Yea, they are less than half the cost of the tires for my Mustang. I don't know why, but I thought the EcoPlus tires were expensive.

gpsman1 02-07-2007 06:39 PM

Wow! What a good price Walt! Thanks!

( are you sure they didn't leave out the 1 in front of $69??? )

Those are cheaper than any tire I think I ever bought for any car in the past 20 years! I wonder why? ( Maybe it's a mistake and I should get mine now and save 'em for later? ) ;)

Hopefully that's not a typo! Great Find.

-John