Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Ford Escape Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/)
-   -   CVT Transmission (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/cvt-transmission-29564/)

sullyr1 04-02-2014 01:55 PM

CVT Transmission

I have a 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid and I think I'm having a problem with my transmission. While driving the car, as I speed up the car/transmission is not downshifting. Has anyone had this problem or any suggestions? It's a CVT type transmission.

GaryG 04-02-2014 02:15 PM

Re: CVT Transmission

Originally Posted by sullyr1 (Post 251907)
I have a 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid and I think I'm having a problem with my transmission. While driving the car, as I speed up the car/transmission is not downshifting. Has anyone had this problem or any suggestions? It's a CVT type transmission.

All Ford Hybrid have eCVT and they don't up shift or downshift.

Gary

GeorgiaHybrid 04-02-2014 04:15 PM

As noted above, CVT transmissions don't "shift" gears as they use a variable gear ratio that matches engine demand to speed and torque requirements.

Shogun 04-03-2014 12:13 AM

Sounds like a typical CVT to me. Theres technically not, "gears" like a traditional transmission has, so theres really no downshifting.

wptski 04-03-2014 04:54 AM

News flash! Chrysler, who doesn't even have an hybrid, electric, etc. uses a variable ratio non-shifting transmission in some of their vehicles.

us035976 04-03-2014 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by sullyr1 (Post 251907)

I assume you are a new FEH owner. My question is: Does the engine NOT rev up as you press harder on the accelerator? My first impressions when I got my FEH a year and a half ago was sorta the opposite - Isn't this thing ever going to UPshift? I'd back off because of the higher revving than I was used to with a regular tranny. Now I just let'er rev up knowing it'll slow down as I gain speed.
Has anyone ever heard of the CVT not working right and 'smooth-shifting down' and letting that engine rev up?

Shogun 04-03-2014 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by wptski (Post 251923)
News flash! Chrysler, who doesn't even have an hybrid, electric, etc. uses a variable ratio non-shifting transmission in some of their vehicles.

Honda uses one in the non-hybrid 4-cylinder Accord too.

xspirit 04-03-2014 12:32 PM

I think some day people will see the behavior of today's automatic and standard transmissions as torturing the engines by forcing them to operate outside their most efficient rpm's at both ends of every gear change.

TLCinAZ 04-12-2014 09:00 AM

Does anyone have any facts or opinions about doing a flush on the CVT? I've heard mixed opinions about whether they're really needed if you aren't having any issues... that doing a flush can actually dislodge gunk/particles and cause problems. Thanks!

GaryG 04-12-2014 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by TLCinAZ (Post 252147)
Does anyone have any facts or opinions about doing a flush on the CVT? I've heard mixed opinions about whether they're really needed if you aren't having any issues... that doing a flush can actually dislodge gunk/particles and cause problems. Thanks!

All FEH's have a lifetime fluid from the factory for the sealed eCVT. More people void their warranty by changing the fluid and using a non approved fluid. This is not like the old automatics with torque converters that needed flushing.

Gary