Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Ford Escape Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/)
-   -   Dash noise is back (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/dash-noise-back-22826/)

08hybridok 10-05-2009 04:06 PM

Dash noise is back

Did we ever find the source and/or soloution to the noise in the dash?

After my blower fan on my Expedition went out (actually just was full of debris) I read online about the heater blend door (like our battery) breaking and making strange noises. Wonder if this is the same thing.

I never heard it all summer (AC), but now that's it cooled off and the auto temp blends air to stay 68-72, the noise is back. Today waiting at school it was even making noise with the Heat/AC OFF!! :omg: So I turned on the hvac system, cranked the fan then turned the fan down, no change in the noise. turned it off again, still had the noise. So then I turned the AC on to 60, noise stopped.
That's what leads me to believe it's the blend door.
Just watching a video for the Expedition online, and it's a major chore to get to the door. 1) remove the dash to get to it, or 2) remove parts of the dash to get to the box, than hack into it!

I'm still under warrenty, I just hate to have a major repair done, and done sloppy so the dash makes more noise or rattles then what was supposed to be fixed.

Any ideas?

I don't recall seeing this complaint on the other Escape boards I frequent, is there anything special about our dash vs a gas Escape? Other than the Auto Temp (available on the gas models too tho)

http://www.f150online.com/forums/hva...-pictures.html

http://www.heatertreater.net/Navigat...eo%20page.html

deemac 10-06-2009 06:53 AM

Re: Dash noise is back

Had mine in to get fixed, actually to fix a driver/passenger side no heat issue, but that was caused by the blend door motor. Dealer replaced it, and the noise is gone.

Cheers,

Darren

08MMHybridHappy 10-16-2009 06:20 AM

Bryan - I too have an '08. Mine is a '08 MMH AWD, but I have an annoying "squeek" or rattle coming from the passenger side front corner of the dash area. I had it in the spring, it went away during the summer and now its back! Very annoying. I never thought about it being potentially related to the A/C - but now you have me wondering. Does this sound similiar to yours? Front passenger corner area of the dash/windsheild? Where is the blend door located - do you know? Appreciate any insights folks have. Thank you in advance.

08hybridok 10-16-2009 06:22 PM

It's just a low (pitch, not volume), almost popping bubblewrap sound. It's unchanged with fan speed. Mine sounds like it's in the bottom center of the dash. Last year I thiought it was more pass side bottom oriented, but can't remember now.

I assume the blend door is in a similar posistion to the links I posted for the Expy, but am not sure.

Don't even see a TSB for it. :confused:

bobbylaw 10-18-2009 11:24 PM

I have the SAME problem.
Just started/noticed a week or so ago (car is less than a month old)
Noise sounds kinda like a cd player spinning without a disc in it or with a warped disc.
Comes and goes.
Appears even when a/c or heat is totally off and car is in motion
Not sure of exact source/location...seems to be coming primarily from right around middle top of dash above Nav thing?
Absolutely maddening.
ANy solutions appreciated

stevedebi 10-20-2009 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by bobbylaw (Post 212710)
I have the SAME problem.
Just started/noticed a week or so ago (car is less than a month old)
Noise sounds kinda like a cd player spinning without a disc in it or with a warped disc.
Comes and goes.
Appears even when a/c or heat is totally off and car is in motion
Not sure of exact source/location...seems to be coming primarily from right around middle top of dash above Nav thing?
Absolutely maddening.
ANy solutions appreciated

I may have heard this on my 2008 AWD FEH. It is a kind of "whirring" sound that occasionally happens. I notice it most when stopped; it lasts a few seconds and then quits. It doesn't bother me, I am assuming that it is just some part under the dash doing its thing and then stopping.

The description of a CD disk spinning is about right for the sound, although it is a bit louder than a CD disk.

I don't have the NAV, but in your case isn't the DVD back there?

08hybridok 10-25-2009 04:53 AM

Mine's more of a tapping/knocking sound. This is a cell phone recording this am after driving home from work, 12min drive, turned off HVAC as soon as I started the car, never turned it back on. 56 outside temp.

http://s368.photobucket.com/albums/o...=dashnoise.flv

bobbylaw 11-02-2009 11:15 PM

Mine started up again today...really annoying.
Someone sugg it may be a dvd spinning for the nav package
IS there an actual "DVD" in the nav system?
If so..thats pretty stupid...my Garmin never needed a dvd
anyway its REALLY annoying!!!

08hybridok 11-03-2009 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by bobbylaw (Post 213494)
Mine started up again today...really annoying.
Someone sugg it may be a dvd spinning for the nav package
IS there an actual "DVD" in the nav system?
If so..thats pretty stupid...my Garmin never needed a dvd
anyway its REALLY annoying!!!

Haven't had a chance to take mine in, hoping I can duplicate the noise on command so dealer can't say 'can't dupe, no problem found'.

But I know it's A) Not a CD/DVD spinning - 1) it's to loud, 2) I don't have NAV or B)It's in addition to a NAV DVD noise.

I'm 98% sure it's the blend door. When it starts I can crank temp to either max & it seems to go away. It's not the outside/re-circ door, and it's not related to the fan speed.

bobbylaw 11-03-2009 01:16 AM

thanks
pls keep me posted
absolutely MADDENING

08hybridok 11-09-2009 08:06 PM

So now I'm convinced it's A blend door, not sure how many I have, but tonight the driver side was blowing cold air, no matter what temp I dialed in, but the pass side was nice & warm.So I guess since I'm due for an oil change soon, I'll have this fixed too. Hope it was the culpprut in the rattle, I'll have to see if the noise returns while waiting to take her in.

08FEH 11-11-2009 06:19 AM

there is a little guy stuck in there and he is trying to get out!

08EscapeHy 11-17-2009 06:58 AM

My 08 Escape just started doing this exact noise that past posted on page 1 after I roll over 36k miles and my warranty. I had never had the sound until right before it went out of warrant I had the dealership look at the AC and Heating system due to it sporadically cutting off and not cutting back on until the car was restarted. The said there was some pinched wires and that should have fixed it. While that problem has currently been resolved I still have this new sound starting up.

Why is it though when I cut the air off it still is making the clicking sound? Any suggestions?

08hybridok 11-18-2009 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by 08EscapeHy (Post 214057)
My 08 Escape just started doing this exact noise that past posted on page 1 after I roll over 36k miles and my warranty. I had never had the sound until right before it went out of warrant I had the dealership look at the AC and Heating system due to it sporadically cutting off and not cutting back on until the car was restarted. The said there was some pinched wires and that should have fixed it. While that problem has currently been resolved I still have this new sound starting up.

Why is it though when I cut the air off it still is making the clicking sound? Any suggestions?

I finally got time to take mine in this morning, and my cell recording (posted eariler) greatly helped as of course it didn't make the noise at the dealer. Anyway they call about an hour later and agree with me, it's an actauator, not instock, should have it tomorrow.
So when I get more deatails/paper work I'll post what I learn.
But a good recording of the noise maight help you too!

08hybridok 11-21-2009 03:56 AM

So 24hrs later, dealer calls to say it's finished. When I get in to pick her up, my manager was busy w/another customer, and me a day sleeper, didn't want to wait around to talk more.
But the paper work says: Motor Assy (Temp Blend) replace part # AL8Z-19E616*F no charge

So Google finds 1 hit for thar part #, it was like $20. Not sure how hard to replace/access, apparently not hard, the hours section has .40 for electronic diafnosis, .30 for diagnostic pin point test, and .20 for replace part.

Now temps are mild again, so time will tell if this is the noise or not. Just hope to not lose heat on a day I need it! (Defrost!)

I'm still under mfg warrenty, only have 28k and 30/mos, I also have an ESP plan, which now I'm thinking was a good choice. I didn't get to ask what the repair would have cost, or if ESP covered.

08EscapeHy 12-30-2009 11:00 AM

Any update on the noise? Mine is actually at the Dealership as we speak being looked at. I previously had them working on my AC Cutting Off Interittently and I said that this happened after they did that work on my car under warranty and they should cover this under warranty since my car is now out of warranty.

I have not been given a answer yet or an cost estimate but if they dont cover it and its expensive I am going to pitch a fit since the car wasnt making this noise until after they worked on it.

Sascol 01-05-2010 10:55 AM

I just realized yesterday that mine has not made the noise in about two weeks. It's been unusually cold here so I am wondering if that has anything to do with it. During last year's cold snap it did not stop though.

08EscapeHy 01-05-2010 11:06 AM

Dealer says that "couldnt get the noise to repeat" however I drive the car daily for 3 hours a day and it gets worse throughout my commute. I guess I need to be driving it for atleast 30 minutes before I go my the dealer.

On a side note after describing it to the Service Manager he says hes 99% sure its the blend door actuator but he "cant go on assumptions" as well as he isnt sure its covered in my warranty when originally he said it was going to be covered.

VERY ANNOYING!

GaryG 01-05-2010 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by 08EscapeHy (Post 216329)
Dealer says that "couldnt get the noise to repeat" however I drive the car daily for 3 hours a day and it gets worse throughout my commute. I guess I need to be driving it for atleast 30 minutes before I go my the dealer.

On a side note after describing it to the Service Manager he says hes 99% sure its the blend door actuator but he "cant go on assumptions" as well as he isnt sure its covered in my warranty when originally he said it was going to be covered.

VERY ANNOYING!

Those blend doors can be a real pain! My '02 Explorer rear A/C blend door actuator went bad at least 8 times and is bad now. Ford covered the ones during warranty and because they kept going bad after that they were covered for one year or less than 12,000 miles because of the last repair. There is a plastic gear that skips a tooth at first and this causes the blend door to slam shut making the knock. It was past the 12 months this last time so I took the Explorer to a local repair shop to disconnect the actuator. They said it would cost more to get to it but suggested they unplug the system power in the rear for a quick fix but I would loose the rear A/C. I could plug it back-in if I need the rear A/C but the noise returns. At some point the gear will strip more and I will hear the noise less. It's been 6 months since I started unplugging the wire connection and I'm not hearing the noise near as much. As far as I'm concerned I don't need the rear A/C or heater 98% of the time but would not accept this for the front A/C.

The Dealers and Ford know this is a problem and if you brought your FEH in for the noise under warranty that has now ran out, they should work with you. The last time I ran over the repair work warranty I got the Dealer to repair it for a third of the cost because of the history and having less than 65,000 miles on the vehicle. I've put all the big money into the '02 Explorer I'm going to with 90,000 miles so its patch and go for my sons school car now.

GaryG

AA2070 01-13-2010 04:40 PM

Mine has been doing the 'sounds like coffee percolating noise from behind the dash' trick for awhile.

I narrowed it down to the blend door actuator (motor) which is a black cylinder approximately where your passengers left little toe goes under the dash. You can be sure that this is the part since you can feel the vibrations when it clicks - it just sounds like its coming from behind the dash because the ductwork acts as a nice megaphone.

To answer all of the questions about why this is intermittent or why the dealer can never reproduce - it happens only when the interior temperature has reached the set point. The dealer will most likely try cranking the system up to 90 or down to 60 to reproduce, and you won't ever reach tis setpoint.

When you reach the setpoint, the door motor is trying to close the door to the vents. I removed the part and disassembled it - it's got very cheaply made plastic gears inside that were missing several teeth. Most likely, the motor doesn't include any logic to note that its reached the end of travel, so keeps spinning with enough torque to break some gear teeth. The 'skip click skip cliiiiiik skip skip" sound you are hearing are the remaining teeth engaging as the motor spins wildly.

The motor will still try to engage the door even if the HVAC system is turned off, as long as the setpoint has been reached, so you can still hear this noise even if you shut down the system. However, if you raise the setpoint to 90 (or 60) and then shut down the system, the noise will go away.

I showed all of this to my dealer, so they could notice it if they see it again, and they gave me a no-charge warranty replacement of the actuator motor, which is part number 19E616.

Hope this helps somebody!

Sascol 01-14-2010 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by AA2070 (Post 216678)
To answer all of the questions about why this is intermittent or why the dealer can never reproduce - it happens only when the interior temperature has reached the set point.

Thanks for the info. Let me ask this though based on your reply.....are you saying that the climate control system has to be on before the noise starts? Mine does it regardless of if the system is on or not.

GaryG 01-14-2010 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Sascol (Post 216703)
Thanks for the info. Let me ask this though based on your reply.....are you saying that the climate control system has to be on before the noise starts? Mine does it regardless of if the system is on or not.

Both he and I are saying the noise will continue with the system Off or On.

GaryG

robingf 03-07-2010 05:38 AM

My dealer took both blend door motors off yesterday, and pronounced them both 'healthy.' Now, he wants to rip the entire dash out, to get to the blend doors themselves. Have to say I'm pretty skeptical that there's some kind of 'door-binding problem' that's temperature-dependent. I think it's still the blinkin' motor/actuator's. Thoughts, anyone ?

Gary

MyPart 03-07-2010 08:17 AM

Aren't those motors relatively inexpensive (compared to time/cost to rip the entire dash out)? I would get the dealer to replace the motors first and see if that actually fixes the problem. You can always go into the dash later if the motors don't fix the issue.

Sascol 03-08-2010 05:12 AM

I had my blend doors replaced about 6 weeks ago - not a sound since. This seems to have solved the problem.

pb5927317 01-01-2011 03:23 PM

This is the exact noise I am having now. Any ideas on how to fix it?