Don't Try This with a Prius or Why I'm Happy with 19 MPG

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 10:13 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Default Re: Don't Try This with a Prius or Why I'm Happy with 19 MPG

Originally Posted by wptski
You can't go by what people install on their vehicles either or even at U-Haul's site which doesn't even ask what engine you have. The I4's capacity is less than a V6.
Really? I thought the smaller the engine, the more power you got out of it!

U-Haul mostly cares about what is safe. They don't care if you choose to wear out your little 4-banger a little sooner.

Lesson learned in this thread...
It is SAFE to tow 3,000 pounds with a Ford Escape Hybrid.

It is VERY EASY to tow 3,000 pounds with a Ford Escape Hybrid. The vehicle is very capable.

Old 08-02-2009, 12:18 PM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by gpsman1
Really? I thought the smaller the engine, the more power you got out of it!

U-Haul mostly cares about what is safe. They don't care if you choose to wear out your little 4-banger a little sooner.

Lesson learned in this thread...
It is SAFE to tow 3,000 pounds with a Ford Escape Hybrid.

It is VERY EASY to tow 3,000 pounds with a Ford Escape Hybrid. The vehicle is very capable.
Your supposed to follow the manufacturer's suggestions on towing capacity. Wondering what happens if you burn something out under warranty and they notice that 2" receiver?

Old 08-02-2009, 01:40 PM
Cool Re: Don't Try This with a Prius or Why I'm Happy with 19 MPG

Your supposed to follow the manufacturer's suggestions on towing capacity. Wondering what happens if you burn something out under warranty and they notice that 2" receiver?
Does not apply to me. I'm well past warranty.

Also, it's up to FORD to prove something was "intentionally damaged, or due to mis-use, abuse, or lack of maintenance". Hard for them to do.

P.S. Also, part of the "manufacturer's suggestions" are to take your FEH to your local dealer for turn signal lamp replacements. If you wish to pay $75 to $100 for a $1 part and a little time, be my guest. I suggest you own and drive one of these vehicles before being quick to judge.

Last edited by gpsman1; 08-02-2009 at 01:49 PM. Reason: P.S.
Old 08-02-2009, 02:34 PM
Imported from Detroit

Does not apply to me. I'm well past warranty.

Also, it's up to FORD to prove something was "intentionally damaged, or due to mis-use, abuse, or lack of maintenance". Hard for them to do.

P.S. Also, part of the "manufacturer's suggestions" are to take your FEH to your local dealer for turn signal lamp replacements. If you wish to pay $75 to $100 for a $1 part and a little time, be my guest. I suggest you own and drive one of these vehicles before being quick to judge.
Funny how you guys will mention manufacturer's specs for some things and follow them, yet other things, you know better!

While your towing 3000 lbs., you better not cause a accident as I'll bet there'll be somebody checking your load!

Last edited by wptski; 08-02-2009 at 05:12 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:14 PM

While your towing 3000 lbs., you better not cause a accident as I'll bet there'll be somebody checking your load!
Again, you totally miss the point.
I'm not sure there's a need to continue any conversation with you.

Towing 3000 lbs. in the Ford Escape Hybrid presents no special, unique, or otherwise unusual safety hazards.
It is not illegal to tow 3000 lbs, and it will not void any liability insurance policy.

It may or may not create additional wear and tear issues to your engine.
But, the more people who tow, the more data we have this is NOT the case.
End of story.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:38 PM
Imported from Detroit

Towing 3000 lbs. in the Ford Escape Hybrid presents no special, unique, or otherwise unusual safety hazards.
It is not illegal to tow 3000 lbs, and it will not void any liability insurance policy.

End of story.
You can save that bit of fiction for a court case.

Wasting thread space with unneeded pictures in signatures too!

Last edited by wptski; 08-03-2009 at 07:42 PM.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:55 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Wasting thread space with unneeded pictures in signatures too!
Ummm, Bill? Have you realized that you too have a signature that takes up unnecessary space?

"Bill

09 Ford Escape Limited, 3.0L, 4WD, AdvanceTrac"

Old 08-04-2009, 06:18 AM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by MyPart
Ummm, Bill? Have you realized that you too have a signature that takes up unnecessary space?

"Bill

09 Ford Escape Limited, 3.0L, 4WD, AdvanceTrac"
Yes, I have but it's not a list of MPG, etc. or whatever and "not" a huge picture.

I have to admit that I've seen other forums that are much worse with several pictures of the one vehicle they own or all of them. Some list "every" vehicle they've owned their entire lifetime!

This is a forum issue and signatures should have a character limit and no images allowed.

Old 08-07-2009, 01:16 PM
Enthusiast

I have a Jumping Jack Tent Trailer that can haul 2 ATV's. Curb weight 1250. Carry one ATV 680 lbs. 400 lb (liberal estimate) camping gear inside trailer.

I have tried 65 mph, no good for rpm/milage. Happier at 55 mph. Due to no rear view vision through ATV, I use a Sam's club backup camera on rear of trailer to see if anyone is behind me.

I will be adding a 4x8 trailer to back of Jumping Jack. Legal to do in Utah. I need to have it to haul ATV to trailheads during jamboree's. Otherwise I have to fold camp each day. Weight 250 lbs. Camera will also monitor small trailer, which will be empty.

Have been to a jamboree in Hurricane Utah in March, and to the National Gathering of the Patriot Guard Riders in Ogden Utah. Happy with towing performance.

Used E Trailer wiring harness adapter. Get the one with LED testers in it. For $5 more it is a great addition, if you don't mind having the 12 v led lit all the time. It does'nt drain the engine battery much. Will extend under the Jumping Jack trailer to run marker/brake lights on small trailer.

Last edited by Rocktopper; 08-07-2009 at 01:22 PM.
Old 08-07-2009, 03:18 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

End of story.
Actually John,

It IS illegal to exceed the GCVWR placarded on ANY vehicle.

But I agree that the truck is mechanically capable.

Sean

Quick Reply: Don't Try This with a Prius or Why I'm Happy with 19 MPG

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands