Engine failure: Replace or rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 03:07 PM
Default Re: Engine failure: Replace or rebuild

Originally Posted by stevedebi
Thanks for the clarification. I presume this means then that the 2009 2.5 was also a different design from the 2009 ICE Escape 2.5l?
Yes, same thing.

Old 02-14-2013, 04:27 PM
Imported from Detroit

Didn't they change something in the AC cabin and battery cooling? Or was that in 2010?

Old 02-14-2013, 04:54 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wptski
Didn't they change something in the AC cabin and battery cooling? Or was that in 2010?
They went with an electric compressor part way through the 2009 model year. I believe that they eliminated the external battery door in 2010.

But I'm sure Gary will chime in with the full scoop...

Old 02-14-2013, 05:41 PM

They went with an electric compressor part way through the 2009 model year. I believe that they eliminated the external battery door in 2010.

But I'm sure Gary will chime in with the full scoop...
The change started with the 2010 FEH. Ford changed to an electric A/C compressor, dropped the Aux battery A/C, and cools the battery with cabin air only.

The 2010 Fusion Hybrid was the first, and it came with the same set-up as the 2010 FEH. For this reason, I stopped plans for buying a FFH. Waiting for pricing on plug-in models now before I sell my '09 FEHL.

GaryG

Old 02-14-2013, 09:55 PM
Enthusiast

So what do people think the cause is? Does this sound like a bad cat? If so, is this something I should be worrying about? I've got a 2006 with 120K on it.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Philip James Wallick
I have been an automotive technician for 15 years, 4 of those years at a Ford dealership. I also own a taxi company and 4 Ford Escapes hybrids with the atchison cycle 2.3L engine.
If I were to take a guess I would say that your ford escape engine failed due to high back pressure. The catalytic converter failed causing high back pressure and heat which damaged piston rings and possibly valve seals. And caused the engine to start using oil at a very high rate. Which in-turn caused the bearings to be starved for oil (that engine only holds 4 quarts of oil total) and being 2 quarts low on oil is losing half its oil.
If you replace the engine but don't check back pressure, you will have the same problem again very soon.

Should have thrown a P0420 code before that happened.

Old 02-16-2013, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by GatorJ
Should have thrown a P0420 code before that happened.
I agree, my '05 FEH had a clogged catalytic converter and I got the P0420 code many times. It would reset clear with my SGII each time for weeks and months, but I had a lost of power at high RPM's for two years.

The dealership replaced the entire exhaust system including the exhaust manifold with 20 miles to go (80K) under warranty. By law, the emission system is covered for 80,000 miles. No other damage to the engine and the lady I sold it to had 120K on the FEH when I last talk to her.

GaryG

Old 02-25-2013, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by ArthurKnowles
I'm new to the forum, but have browsed and seached for a while, and not come acrross the information I need to make an informed decision so hope some of you can help me out,

I have a 2005 Ford Escape Hybrid with 126,000 miles on it. I have not had ANY real issues until now. In the past I changed my oil

DIY or hired>

at the recomended 10K mark and air & a/c fileters every 20K. Every 60K it had a tune up. I've put two sets of tires on it. Ford has repalced the cooling unit on the electric motor (at about 10K) and the battery fans (at 110K). It has never used any oil (and I mean pretty much zero oil loss between changes) until the failure. Here's how it happened...

I was driving up a steep mountain road and when I was able to pass a slower moving car I stepped on the gas and passed.

Shortly after that my motor shutoff wiotht he "Stop Now Safely" warnming.

I can't think of any reason why a spun bearing would somehow result in a "Stop Now Safely" message. Low oil level, yes, but you would have seen that icon first.

Other..? Chime in?

I pulled over. Stopped. Restarted the car. Turned around and went home (about 5 miles). There was a light tap in the engine. I Checked the oil and it was down about 2 quarts low. I was a bit surprised by this as it had not lost any oil preior to the last oil change, That was about 5K prior to the event.

I took the car in to Ford and was told it had spun the bearing on cylinder number 1.

How was this determined, partial engine disassembly?

A rebuild of the engine will cost $6550. It will have a three year unlimited miles warrenty.

I understand why the first cylinder spun a bearing as it was oil starved at that point.

No, the lateral (FWD) tilt of the engine would have very little effect on the oil pump inlet remaining immersed in the sump oil. Bearing lubricating oil was being supplied by the oil pump.

Particulary when the car was at a 45 degree angle uphill. I had been driving that same mountain road for about 18 months and had recently moved so I no longer needed to do so (just after my last maintenance on the vehicle), but I'm also wondering if there was some other reason for lossing that much oil in such a short time (when I compare it to previous usage).

I've also tried to find a rebuild kit for the engine, but have had no luck. I did find some mention of the engine being the same as a Mazda engine, but am unsure of exactly what model and if this is actually true or not. So, I'm strill trying to figure out two things:

1) Is a rebuild kit available? Or one from a Mazda engione I could use.

2) Should I even bother to try and rebuild it myself? Or just stick with the replacement motor.

As an FYI ... I have rebuilt other motors int he past, but they were cast iron engines. Aside from a motorcycle engine. I know the technology and tolerances have changed a lot and am just unsure if a home mechanic can do a proper assembly job using a machine shop to do the fine detail work. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Art
Sounds as if all you need is a new crankshaft and ALL crankshaft bearings. Any chance the engine was "short-filled"..? IMO oil must be burned or leaked, leaked path may be into the crankcase and then PCV "burned".

Old 02-25-2013, 02:54 PM

Gary,
Is the FEH motor physically different from the normal ICE Escape up till 2009 (2.3L)? I thought the difference was how the computer controls the engine.
The ONLY mechanical differences between the standard Ford engine and the Atkinson cycle engine is the cam intake lobe timing and duration and the compression ratio of 13:1 vs ~10:1. The latter probably done via slight head milling or cylinder head "geography".

Old 02-25-2013, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by wwest
Sounds as if all you need is a new crankshaft and ALL crankshaft bearings. Any chance the engine was "short-filled"..? IMO oil must be burned or leaked, leaked path may be into the crankcase and then PCV "burned".
The problem with replacing the crankshaft is you might as well replace the engine and eCVT. I'd look for a totaled '05 FEH and take the assembly out and replace the engine and eCVT in one piece. One reason is the one-way clutch is not easy to keep free of oil while separating the eCVT and the engine. If this happens, the one-way clutch will have to be replaced and the risk is still there the new one will get contaminated again.

A '05 FEH with 125K is not worth fixing any other way except replacing the engine assembly with a used one. The engine and eCVT come in and out of the FEH together. I'd part out the remainder of the totaled FEH on Ebay because it still has valuable parts. A rebuild or rebuilt engine is just to costly for a '05 FEH with 125K on miles it.

GaryG

Quick Reply: Engine failure: Replace or rebuild

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands