Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Ford Escape Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/)
-   -   Engine shut off running up on blocks (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/engine-shut-off-running-up-blocks-32268/)

fglaustin 03-10-2020 10:33 PM

Engine shut off running up on blocks

My first hybrid - 2009 ford escape hybrid limited. Drove flawlessly through the Hill Country of texas on sunday (90 miles or so) and left it set monday until later in the evening and went to pull
up into my drive (slight inline) and the engine shut down. Restarted a couple of times and got it up over the slight incline. This evening tried to run up on home-built blocks (total of 4 2x6) and
the engine shut down again. Jacked it up and put the blocks underneath.
WIll read codes on wednesday (still reading the owner's manual). Intention is to run it minimally for 3 or 4 weeks while going over all the systems. It is in the 220 thousand mile range.
Any thoughts?

S Keith 03-10-2020 11:26 PM

Re: Engine shut off running up on blocks

Most likely every time you're "starting" the car, and it runs for several seconds, you're not actually starting the car. You're just spinning the engine with the electric motor and depleting the HV battery.

I wouldn't be surprised if the multiple starts needed to drive up the slight incline were the same - no actual contribution of the ICE to propulsion.

Get codes checked ASAP and stop trying to start it.

fglaustin 03-11-2020 07:42 PM

It is still setting and there are no codes. Need to change the oil and filter - will see after that.

S Keith 03-11-2020 07:44 PM

You have codes. You just don't have the ability to read them unless you're using a professional grade tool. Changing the oil and filter are a distraction.

fglaustin 03-11-2020 08:45 PM

it was a 150 dollar one from autozone; wanted the bosch from oreilly but it was not available (broken).
once i change the oil and filter, I can get it off the blocks and go from there
(oil change has nothing to do with the current issue, of course)

just got it to austin on sunday and i expected to go over the required maintenance
for a couple of weeks anyway,
the scanner from oreily's is better at giving the readings of the I/M monitors (IMHO).
I can rescan with the oreilly's one as soon as it becomes available.

S Keith 03-11-2020 08:47 PM

Agree on O'Reilly. You should also look into Forscan.

Hippo the Hybrid 03-13-2020 04:25 PM

Forscan is very good. Load it on your laptop and away you go with a plug in OBDII wireless connector to the laptop. Your next steps are code driven.....

fglaustin 03-17-2020 11:09 AM

thanks for the reply; and also S Keith. I found a Very common problem that exists for the 2.5 - oil filled in 2 spark plug holes. there is a video on youtube. it is a 2010 (same as my 2009).
Very relieved to find that rather then living with an unknown.
shorted out - have not checked the coils yet. New plugs and i am removing the valve cover. need a few days to complete;
video was Very Very helpful.
Will get to the scanning potential later (will post).
thanks

Hippo the Hybrid 03-18-2020 05:31 PM

What causes the oil contamination if you know?

fglaustin 03-18-2020 08:21 PM

very very common problem on the 2.5 (at least the guy in the video says that (mechanic at a shop)).
problem is spark plug tube seals.

they come with the valve cover gasket - at least mine did and i bought fel-pro.