Ethanol!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 08:42 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Default Re: Ethanol!

My "blended fuel" would cost:

1.75 x $2.329 + 13.25 x $2.899 / 15 = $2.8325 per gallon

So going from E10 to E20 is like getting a coupon for 7 cents off per gallon. 7 x 15 = $1.05 savings per tank. That buys a bottle of pop or bag of chips!

Hard to say what the "real" cost was due to the bitter cold and snow.
I think it was 2 MPG less than normal... so that means I lost 30 miles, or about 1 gallon worth. Net loss... probably... but this was only the first tank and I drove all the miles in 1 day, so maybe the LTFT tables that Gary speaks of have not "adjusted" yet.
I still say you score one for the planet, even getting 30 miles less per tank and only saving $1. in the process.

I think moving towards ethanol is a small step. A small step indeed, but in the right direction.
And I feel a small step is better than no step at all.

Last edited by gpsman1; 12-07-2007 at 08:45 AM.
Old 12-16-2007, 12:07 PM

Sioux Falls, SD
(December 5, 2007)

Research findings released today show that mid-range ethanol blends—
fuel mixtures with more ethanol than E10 but less than E85—can in some cases provide better fuel economy than
regular unleaded gasoline, even in standard, non-flex-fuel vehicles.
Previous assumptions held that ethanol’s lower energy content should always directly correlate with lower fuel
economy for drivers. Those assumptions were found to be wrong. Instead, the new research strongly suggests
that there is an “optimal blend level” of ethanol and gasoline—most likely E20 or E30—at which cars will get
better mileage than predicted based strictly on the fuel’s per-gallon Btu content.

“Initial findings indicate that we as a nation haven’t begun to recognize the value of ethanol," said Brian Jennings,
executive vice president of the American Coalition for Ethanol. “This is a compelling argument for more research
on the promise of higher ethanol blends in gasoline. There is strong evidence that the optimal ethanol-gasoline
blend for standard, non-flex-fuel vehicles is greater than E10 and instead may be E20 or E30. We encourage the
federal government to move swiftly to research the use of higher ethanol blends and make necessary approvals
so that American motorists can have the cost-effective ethanol choices they deserve at the pump.”
The University of North Dakota Energy & Environmental Research Center (EERC) and the Minnesota Center for
Automotive Research (MnCAR) conducted the research using four 2007 model vehicles: a Toyota Camry, a Ford
Fusion and two Chevrolet Impalas, one flex-fuel and one non-flex-fuel. Researchers used the EPA Highway Fuel
Economy Test (HWFET) to examine a range of ethanol-gasoline blends from straight Tier 2 gasoline up to 85
percent ethanol. All of the vehicles got better mileage with ethanol blends than the ethanol’s energy content would
predict, and three out of four actually traveled farther on a mid-level ethanol blend than on unleaded gasoline.
“I applaud the American Coalition for Ethanol for taking action and studying the impact of intermediate blends of
ethanol. I am encouraged by the findings of this study, which should benefit the federal regulatory process for
approving higher blends of ethanol,” said U.S. Senator John Thune (R-SD). “Intermediate blends of ethanol will
offer consumers more choices at the pump, reduce dependence on foreign oil, and benefit our domestic ethanol
industry for years to come."
In addition to the favorable fuel economy findings, the research provides strong evidence that standard, non-flexfuel
vehicles can operate on ethanol blends beyond 10 percent. The three non-flex-fuel vehicles tested operated
on levels as high as E65 before any engine fault codes were displayed. Emissions results for the ethanol blends
were also favorable for nitrogen oxides, carbon monoxide and nonmethane organic gases, showing an especially
significant reduction in CO2 emissions for each vehicle’s “optimal” ethanol blend (E20 for the flex-fuel Chevy, E30
for the Toyota and Ford, E40 for the non-flex Chevy).
“These studies show that moderate 20-30 percent ethanol blends can reduce air pollution, improve gas mileage,
and save drivers money in the most popular cars on the road today,” said Brett Hulsey, president of Better
Environmental Solutions, an environmental health consulting firm. “Moderate ethanol blends are homegrown in
America, can be delivered with existing pumps to current vehicles, and cost less than gasoline. Ethanol lowers
CO2 emissions 20 percent from gasoline, making it one of our most effective greenhouse gas reduction programs
currently in place.”

KEY FINDINGS
Ethanol’s energy content was not found to be a direct predictor of fuel economy. A fuel’s energy content in
British Thermal Units (Btu) is current standard practice for estimating fuel economy, a method that, because of
ethanol’s lower Btu value, leads to estimates of decreased fuel economy in proportion to the percentage of
ethanol in the fuel blend.

This research, however, did not find ethanol’s Btu content to be a direct predictor of fuel economy. All four
vehicles tested exhibited better fuel economy with the ethanol blends than the Btu-value estimates
predicted.
E20 and E30 ethanol blends outperformed unleaded gasoline in fuel economy tests for certain autos.
Contrary to Btu-based estimates of fuel economy for ethanol blends, three of the four vehicles tested achieved
their highest fuel efficiency not on gasoline, but on an ethanol blend. Mid-level blends of ethanol E20 (20%
ethanol, 80% gasoline) and E30 (30% ethanol, 70% gasoline) offered the best fuel economy in these tests.

E30 offered better fuel economy than gasoline (a 1% increase) in both the Toyota and the Ford.

E20 offered better fuel economy than gasoline (a 15% increase) in the flex-fuel Chevrolet.

The non-flex-fuel Chevrolet more closely followed the Btu-calculated trend for fuel economy, but did
experience a significant improvement over the trend line with E40 (40% ethanol, 60% gasoline), indicating
that this may be the “optimal” ethanol blend level for this vehicle.
Standard, non-flex-fuel vehicles operated well on ethanol blends beyond 10 percent

– All automakers
currently cover the use of up to E10 (10% ethanol, 90% gasoline) by warranty for standard, non-flex-fuel vehicles.
In this preliminary research, the three non-flex-fuel vehicles tested each operated successfully on ethanol blends
significantly higher than this 10% ethanol level.

The Ford Fusion operated on E45, the Toyota on E65, and the non-flex-fuel Chevy on E55. No engine
fault codes were displayed until these levels were surpassed.
###
The American Coalition for Ethanol (ACE) is the grassroots voice of the U.S. ethanol industry, a national trade
association for the ethanol industry with nearly 2,000 members nationwide, including farmers, ethanol producers,
commodity organizations, businesses supplying goods and services to the ethanol industry, rural electric
cooperatives, and individuals supportive of increased production and use of ethanol. For more information about
ethanol or ACE, visit www.ethanol.org or call (605) 334-3381.

Old 12-16-2007, 12:19 PM

The vehicles used were:

Four 2007 vehicles, with automatic transmissions:
A Ford Fusion with a 2.3-liter engine with approximately 5000 miles on the odometer

A Toyota Camry with a 2.4-liter engine with approximately 7000 miles on the odometer

A Chevrolet Impala with a 3.5-liter engine with approximately 31,000 miles on odometer

A Chevrolet Impala (flex fuel) with a 3.5-liter engine with approximately 7000 miles.

The Ford Fusion has the same I4 2.3l engine as the Ford Escape Hybrid ( not Atkinsenized ) and got more MPG on E30 than regular gas.

Last edited by gpsman1; 12-16-2007 at 01:08 PM.
Old 12-16-2007, 03:44 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Has anyone here converted their hybrid to run on e85?

Old 12-16-2007, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by giantquesadilla
Has anyone here converted their hybrid to run on e85?
To my knowledge no one has converted one, but Ford has built 20 and place them in areas that sell E85 so the EPA can test.

GaryG

Old 12-16-2007, 09:53 PM

Exerpts from Ethanol Producer Magazine, November, 2007.

In Sioux Falls, S.D., Lisa Richardson tells EPM that blender pumps are an exciting marketing opportunity for ethanol. "[Ethanol] is too cheap right now, but that means there are some good margins for blenders out there, and a chance to use more ethanol," she says. "We're making more ethanol than there is a demand for. We are going to have a crash in this industry if we don't do more on the marketing and sales sides." In late September, ACE accused oil companies of not passing on savings as a result of record low ethanol prices to consumers. Many oil companies today are purchasing ethanol at bargain prices, but in an apparent attempt to discourage the use of ethanol, they are offering ethanol blends at excessive prices to their dealer stations, ACE wrote in a letter to top Congressional leaders. In other instances, refiners are purchasing low-priced ethanol, and adding unfair profit by marking up the price of ethanol-blended fuel, and making motorists pay more at the pump. In these cases, sales of ethanol are artificially depressed at a time when more ethanol would lower prices for consumers.

Dispelling the Mid-Range Myth
Surprisingly, there is no definitive science behind the selection of E10 as an acceptable blend for nonflexible-fuel vehicles. "We really don't know what that optimum blend is," Richardson says. "The 10 percent number was only the result of a deal cut with the oil companies." The U.S. EPA approved 20 percent and 30 percent blends for use in the beginning of 2007. "All the feedback has been positive … there've been no issues whatsoever," he says. The cooperative is not, however, recommending the use of E30 or E85 in standard vehicles. The hoses for E30 and E85 are yellow, while the hoses for unleaded and E10 are black. Therefore, it's very clear to the customer which product they're putting in their tanks. While official statements from blender pump operators in South Dakota maintain that E30 is specifically for FFV use, French says he's heard no complaints from customers who use it in standard-fuel-component vehicles. "We have to get rid of this myth that you can only burn a blend of up to 10 percent if you don't have a flex-fuel vehicle (FFV),” Anderson says. He blames the auto companies for this wide misconception. "They've done some things to help ethanol, but they also want to sell you a new [flexible-fuel] car," he says. "Not everybody can afford to buy a new FFV, but that doesn't mean you can't burn higher blends. I use 40 percent in my car, 75 percent in my truck, and I have no idea what they mean when they talk about corrosion and some of these other things. My vehicles will be running longer than anybody else's."

Old 12-17-2007, 05:49 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

So the American Coalition for Ethanol says it's better to use more ethanol, huh? Imagine that.

I'd really like to see more independent research to support their research. I'm sure the Dairy Producers of America have reports that say drinking more milk is better too. Until the AMA, FDA or some other independent group agrees (through research), I'm going to remain a little sceptical.

I'm not saying that more Ethanol is better or worse, just that I don't necessarily trust these types of reports for full face value.

Old 12-17-2007, 09:37 AM

I see your point, but the U.S. EPA also says more ethanol is cleaner for the environment. And I also "believe it when I see it" and I know E10 is not a good blend for the Ford Escape Hybrid.

I have tested one tank of E20 with no ill effects, and the car ran well, with only a slight reduction in MPG... so I am really hopeful that E30 will be a "sweet spot" and have better results than E10 in my car.

With 1000 different models of internal combustion engines on the road today, no blanket statement is going to cover them all.
-John

Old 12-17-2007, 10:22 AM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

John what is required to blend ethanol with gasoline, is there some kind of additive that allows them to mix?

Old 12-17-2007, 11:00 AM

They mix very well on their own.
Once mixed, they cannot be separated, without going through the whole distillation process.

You can add 1 or 2 gallons of E85 to 10 gallons of plain gas whenever you like. I like to add a little gas, then a little E85, and then top off with regular gas, just so there is initial physical mixing inside my tank.
Chemically, they mix perfectly by themselves.

This is exactly what the gas station does.
Ethanol is sold, and transported in the form of E95 actually.
The E95 is sold and transported with a trivial amount ( 0.001% ) of corrosion (rust) inhibitor in it already.
Then the station owner adds 10% of their own gas, either right at the pump, or at the tank to make E85. The E85 is "approximately" 85% ethanol, but it is not an exact science and can be off a little.

FYI here is a data table:

Blend, Reid Vapor Pressure, Specific Gravity

Gasoline 9.07 0.7404
E10 10.11 0.7443
E20 9.91 0.7503
E30 9.76 0.7542
E40 9.30 0.7602
E50 8.92 0.7651
E60 7.82 0.7730
E70 7.38 0.7789
E85 3.28 0.7918
100% Fuel-Grade Ethanol 2.54 0.7968

Last edited by gpsman1; 12-17-2007 at 11:03 AM.

Quick Reply: Ethanol!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands