Factory Install Nav. Not Bad

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 08:48 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Factory Install Nav. Not Bad

Originally Posted by kenest6
Well,all good things come to those who wait! This new site boasts of a 6 1/2" touchscreen Nav system! So,it was crafty marketing that suckered us all into the present system, which against all odds, I am enjoying using. Check it out:http://drivezen.com/mariner08/
How is it crafty marketing that "suckered us in"? They produce new models... of COURSE they are going to improve the systems. Thats nothing new and if you were suckered in believing that you would have the most advanced system that would ever be produced forever....

I'm not saying the system that was included was exceptionally good mind you, just that if you bought it and paid that much for it, why didn't you check it out first by test driving one with it?

That of course goes for the screen size, resolution, and overall quality.... The fact that the literature says it plays MP3's and it doesn't you have a right to gripe about.

Last edited by TeeSter; 10-11-2006 at 09:58 PM.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:30 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TeeSter
I'm not saying the system that was included was exceptionally good mind you, just that if you bought it and paid that much for it, why didn't you check it out first by test driving one with it?
Well... this has been posted by many people before, we did NOT have a choice.

In my case, it's either buying the "premium package" with the things I wanted (moonroof, leather seats etc) and getting things I didn't want with it (like the stock NAV) or getting no leather seat, moonroof, glossy-cladding at all. So at least in my market area (Canada), it's not like we could say "No Visteon NAV please".

So it's not like I could pick and choose what systems I could go for, but I do hope one day Visteon/Ford offers an upgrade path to DVD-based system for existing FEH owners?!

Old 10-12-2006, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by glennb
Again, if you've never lived with a Lexus or Acura supplied Nav....you may easily enjoy using the Visteon unit. .

Exactly why I installed the Lexus NAV in my 05 FEH(& my son has NAV in his Acura) Those units are a true pleasure to use:

http://www.pbase.com/jmorton10/image/66287538

~John

Old 10-12-2006, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by greenhybrider
So it's not like I could pick and choose what systems I could go for, but I do hope one day Visteon/Ford offers an upgrade path to DVD-based system for existing FEH owners?!
That does posse the question if the current/old unit and the new unit are plug compatible or not. If all the changes are truly just cosmetic, it could be possible. Also, having not seen a picture of the '08 Nav dash yet (has anyone?), I wonder if it is a double DIN size that would fit in the same size dash opening?

Anyway, I would, at this time, settle for an upgrade path for the now-two-year-old map CD's for us existing owners!

Old 10-12-2006, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by greenhybrider
Well... this has been posted by many people before, we did NOT have a choice.
Sure you did, you could have bought a Lexus.

Sorry I guess I'm just tired of the NAV bashing..... it sucks, fine, its been fully covered by now--why keep complaining about it?

I actually have the NAV myself because I bought the premium package. In my case it was simply to have the car painted the way I wanted (one color-not two toned, and a couple of other options) Still I don't feel cheated. I knew what I was getting (aside from the MP3 issue--but I don't burn MP3 CD's anyway, I use an iRiver player) and I knew what it cost and I apparently was willing to pay what I did for it as a cost for the options I did want.

I could have gone for a non-premium if I felt it was too unfair. Thats how packages go in cars. They put things together and you are likely to get something "extra" you didn't want. Its typical of the industry. No one (except maybe the really high end cars) I know of offers an ala-carte menu where you can pick and choose every option individually, because it costs too much to customize each vehicle individually.

I don't have to like the "package" system... and I don't, but its not unusual.

Incidentally, I should take my own advise. If I'm tired of all the bashing of the admittedly outdated NAV, I can make the choice not to read the thread.

Last edited by TeeSter; 10-12-2006 at 06:53 AM.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:43 AM
Active Enthusiast

Although I didn't start the thread, I was pleased to see some of the content. I figured I was the only one whose gps would get lost even with a good signal indicator. Beyond that, I agree that we weren't cheated. I knew what I was getting, and while I might make a different decision given what I know now, I wasn't cheated.

And I'll have to say that the nav did great in NYC over the weekend.

Old 10-12-2006, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by TeeSter
Sure you did, you could have bought a Lexus.
True, we could have all bought an RX400h instead.

However, the counterpoint is that in the price range of the FEH/MMH, there are many vehicles, including those from Ford, that have a more "current" design for the Nav system.

The only thing I feel cheated about, was that my 2007 MMH came with 2005 map disks. That is like coming home and finding that the milk or bread you just bought, was two years old.

Old 10-12-2006, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by WaltPA
However, the counterpoint is that in the price range of the FEH/MMH, there are many vehicles, including those from Ford, that have a more "current" design for the Nav system.
But in that vein you have to accept the fact that the Hybrid system costs around--I've read-- $5000-7000 extra to produce......

I keep hearing from some people I expect more from a $30,000 car.... you have to realize that the powertrain costs more and you can't compare it to another $30,000 vehicle for that reason. The LOW END Prius is ~$23,000... but its a car not a larger SUV. If I take $7000 from the $30,000 I get 23,000.... for a heavier, larger vehicle..... some of that has to be made up somewhere.

Its not really fair to compare a $30,000 hybrid's equipment to a $30,000 non-hybrid.

Stripped basic Escape Hybrids don't make Ford alot of money..... They make it up with the options. It sucks... but its business.

Old 10-12-2006, 11:59 AM

Hi All

When you put down the Nav Sys, don't forget this unit includes a 6 CD stereo radio w/6 speakers and a subwoofer. The energy screen and battery level put my mileage well above EPA estimates on the highway and city driving even before break-in. That said, there is a complete new unit right now on Ebay with starting bid at $150. The battery level gauge is worth that IMO.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2006-...37065505QQrdZ1

GaryG

Old 10-12-2006, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by GaryG
When you put down the Nav Sys, don't forget this unit includes a 6 CD stereo radio w/6 speakers and a subwoofer.
For speakers, that's only when it comes with the Premium package. When ordered stand-alone, it comes with only 4 speakers, no sub, and less watts.

Quick Reply: Factory Install Nav. Not Bad

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands