Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Ford Escape Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/)
-   -   Factory Service Manuals (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/factory-service-manuals-12485/)

LynchMob 03-01-2007 10:54 AM

Factory Service Manuals

I finally picked up a set off ebay for Buy it Now price of $46.95USD. It took about a year to find a set for a decent price; most sets were going for around $100-130USD it seemed. I think the price may have been entered wrong by the seller, i.e., they forgot the "1" in front. They arrived in almost new condition a couple days ago...I must say much better information than the Jeep FSM's I'm accustomed to.

What has everyone else paid? Where did you find them?

D

GeekGal 03-01-2007 12:34 PM

Re: Factory Service Manuals

You got a GREAT deal. I bought mine new in late August '06 on eBay and was happy with my purchase price at the time -- $113.25. Here's a link to the auction (closed) that I won them on. Since the auction's so old there are no pictures.

Did you get all five manuals -- the main Workshop Manuals, Vol.1 & Vol. 2, the Hybrid Wiring Diagrams Manual, the Hybrid Powertrain/Emission Diagnosis Manual, and the Pre-Delivery Inspection Manual? (FYI, the Inspection Manual is a thin little thing hardly deserving of being called a manual, so don't freak if you 'only' got the four. The auction I won just happened to have it included.)

LynchMob 03-01-2007 06:14 PM

Ah ha...that would partially explain the price then. I only have Workshop vol 1 & 2. It seems the auctions I passed on only had the two volumes also. I recall seeing the Powertrain/Emissions Diagnostic manual being sold separately for around $40-50. Is it solely diagnostic information? I only have real use for "remove/repair" info, so can probably get away without. If I don't know what's wrong I just go and get a free quote/inspection then fix it myself.

D.

GaryG 03-01-2007 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by LynchMob (Post 113978)
Ah ha...that would partially explain the price then. I only have Workshop vol 1 & 2. It seems the auctions I passed on only had the two volumes also. I recall seeing the Powertrain/Emissions Diagnostic manual being sold separately for around $40-50. Is it solely diagnostic information? I only have real use for "remove/repair" info, so can probably get away without. If I don't know what's wrong I just go and get a free quote/inspection then fix it myself.

D.

LynchMob, I got the complete set for $110, but it included the standard Escape wiring diagrams also. The best one of the manuals IMO is the PCM/ED manual, and I've stated that long ago. This is where I learned about the FEH so much, and it's on the top of my desk as we speak. The wiring diagram book I use, but it's the least out of my set. Wait for a good price and get the PCM/ED manual is my recommendation.

GaryG

glennb 03-02-2007 08:18 AM

Darren -

I have to echo Gary's recommendation to get the PCM/ED volume. This is a drive-by-wire, brake-by-wire machine and I suspect many of the simple things on other vehicles will have added complexity on the FEH/MMH. (for instance, brake maintenance and bleeding are complicated by the pressurization of the brake fluid system).

Like you, I tend to do as much of the remove/replace work as I can and leave the rest to a qualifed dealer.

I bought a copy of the manuals on an interactive DVD (as used by the Service Depts) for around $80. It works well on my Windows PC and converts anything you want to PDFs for printing or electronic filing. :)