Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Ford Escape Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/)
-   -   FEH & MMH owners with NAV radios... (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/feh-mmh-owners-nav-radios-7764/)

Tim K 06-05-2006 04:29 PM

FEH & MMH owners with NAV radios...

Have any of you had any contact with Ford/Mercury regarding the salesmen, website, brochure, window sticker claims that the Nav radio can play MP3's and is Sirius compatible? I know some people have tried to go through Visteon or their dealers, but this is probably something that needs to be addressed to Ford directly. They advertised a product as having features that IT DOES NOT HAVE. I for one would like it to be addressed properly....either provide me with a Hybrid/Nav system that plays MP3's and is Sirius ready or give me my $1000 back.

So, what is the best approach? Letter writing? Petitions? Phone calls? If only a couple of people complain we'll get nothing, and I'm not about to hire a lawyer to fight Ford....and a class action suit will only get money for the lawyers and we'll all get 3 free oil changes or some BS.

How many of you out there are in the same boat?

TeeSter 06-05-2006 07:03 PM

Re: FEH & MMH owners with NAV radios...

We pretty much all are.... and probably in 2 years or so we'll all get a letter from some class action suit that someone filed and an offer for a free "ice cream cone" while the lawyers get $40,000,000 in fees.

Other than that.... I'm not sure we'll get much relief. I've rarely heard of any company volunteering something for that kind of issue until they get sued.

VietVet'67 06-05-2006 07:58 PM

As I see it on the Ford Website, it is not the Hybrid Energy Audio & Navigation System (no mention of MP3/Satellite) that has these capabilities but the 320-watt Audiophile 6-disc in-dash CD system with 7 speakers (Satellite and mp3 capable). This is copied from Ford's site - don't know what your salesman told you.

Tim K 06-05-2006 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by VietVet'67
As I see it on the Ford Website, it is not the Hybrid Energy Audio & Navigation System (no mention of MP3/Satellite) that has these capabilities but the 320-watt Audiophile 6-disc in-dash CD system with 7 speakers (Satellite and mp3 capable). This is copied from Ford's site - don't know what your salesman told you.

I think that Ford recently changed the text on their website, as I believe Mercury did as well. However, I believe that it used to state on both sites that the Nav system was Sirius and MP3 capable. Mercury's site STILL lists the Nav system as MP3 capable. Both Mercury and Ford salesmen told me that both were available with the Nav system. I have the Mercury brochure in front of me which explicitly states THREE seperate times that the Premium package includes the Hybrid/Nav radio with MP3 and Sirius capability. I also have the window sticker which lists the radio as MP3 capable.

Well, I just composed a letter to Ford Motor Co addressing my concerns. We'll see what, if anything, they have to say.

GeekGal 06-05-2006 10:10 PM

I buy new cars so rarely that I do a lot of research before taking the plunge. I knew the features of the various radio options before going to a single dealership, and knew I wouldn't be getting MP3 capability with the top tier (Nav) radio in the FEH. While that's one of my "pet peeves" because I feel the top tier radio should absolutely support MP3 CDs, I knew it going in. Good thing, too, because my salesman knew less about hybrids or the FEH in particular than I could have ever imagined.

Tim K 06-27-2006 06:19 PM

So it took them 3 weeks to respond and they did so by leaving me a voicemail. The general gist of it was that "they appreciated my feedback, but that I should address these issues with the dealership". I wish I had been home to take the call so that I could ask them who built the car, advertised the car, printed the brochure, printed and affixed the window sticker, produced their website, and educated the dealer. I think the answer to all of those questions is Ford Motor Company....and therefore, Ford Motor Company is responsible for the screwup not the dealer. I think they left a number so I'll try calling them back.

Pravus Prime 06-28-2006 12:26 PM

I believe I still have all the original printed brochures. When I get home I'll look and see what they say.

Tim K 06-28-2006 03:16 PM

I've got the MMH brochure which is peppered with claims that the Hybrid system is compatible with both Sirius and MP3 CDs. Either I have a newer FEH brochure that had it removed or they never mention either of them. The FEH brochure has very little information so it probably just isn't in there.

rihavo 07-02-2006 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Tim K
I've got the MMH brochure which is peppered with claims that the Hybrid system is compatible with both Sirius and MP3 CDs. Either I have a newer FEH brochure that had it removed or they never mention either of them. The FEH brochure has very little information so it probably just isn't in there.

There are some key words you need to consider here... you said the brochure stated "the Hybrid system is compatible with both Sirius and MP3 CDs" However, you never mentioned the NAV system. These are two distinctly different systems.

However, I did notice there is a wiring harness available in the 06 FEH accessories catalog for MP3 players.

The part is located on page 6 of the pdf file for the 2006 FEH accessories catalog (downloadabled from FordAccessories.com ) is is part number 19C142 and is titled "TripTunes".

Hope this helps.

Pravus Prime 07-03-2006 02:58 PM

I checked the brochures for the FEH. Nothing I got specifically said MP3 Capable.

GatorJ 07-03-2006 04:02 PM

I have a copy of the dealer's 2006 source book (information/sales guide for sales staff.) for the Hybrid. It states "Audiophile system included in Hybrid Energy/Navigation/Audiophile System. Includes satellite radio compatibility. Also includes MP3 playability(1)
(1)For the most recent features/product availability, please refer to the latest Dealer Ordering guide at fmcdealer.com"

GeekGal 07-03-2006 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by GatorJ
I have a copy of the dealer's 2006 source book (information/sales guide for sales staff.) for the Hybrid. It states "Audiophile system included in Hybrid Energy/Navigation/Audiophile System. Includes satellite radio compatibility. Also includes MP3 playability(1)
(1)For the most recent features/product availability, please refer to the latest Dealer Ordering guide at fmdealer.com"

FWIW, that URL doesn't go where it did whenever your source book was printed. It now resolves to a spam/search site with no affiliation to Ford Motor Co.

None of my brochures are terribly informative on the topic of MP3 or even satellite/XM radio capability/compatibility. I have the "personalized" Ford Escape Hybrid brochure (requested online), the non-hybrid Ford Escape brochure (2006) and a Mercury Mariner Hybrid brochure (requested online). None mention MP3, some mention satellite/XM radio compatibility but not in relation to the NAV radio system.

GatorJ 07-03-2006 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by GeekGal
FWIW, that URL doesn't go where it did whenever your source book was printed. It now resolves to a spam/search site with no affiliation to Ford Motor Co.

None of my brochures are terribly informative on the topic of MP3 or even satellite/XM radio capability/compatibility. I have the "personalized" Ford Escape Hybrid brochure (requested online), the non-hybrid Ford Escape brochure (2006) and a Mercury Mariner Hybrid brochure (requested online). None mention MP3, some mention satellite/XM radio compatibility but not in relation to the NAV radio system.

I corrected it....left out a "c"

www.fmcdealer.com

TeeSter 07-03-2006 08:07 PM

I corrected it....left out a "c"

www.fmcdealer.com

You seem to need a password to access that site.

GatorJ 07-04-2006 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by TeeSter
You seem to need a password to access that site.

Correct, it's a Ford dealer site, not a consumer one. The document I quoted is for dealer's sales staff, not for potential customers. It is essentially a 26 page "cheat sheet." Has sections on changes for the model year, closest competitors, purchase motivators and then describes various component areas.

JTsyo 07-07-2006 11:27 AM

I have the Nav system and haven't tried a MP3 CD in it. Is it that MP3s don't work in the Nav CD tray nor in the 6-disc changer?

TeeSter 07-07-2006 02:32 PM

The don't appear to work in either. You can make an audio CD out of your MP3s but you can't play a MP3 CD

Tim K 07-07-2006 03:19 PM

I keep forgetting to call Ford back. The whole "go through the dealer" thing really irritates me. I mean, if I were to sue....it isn't going to be the dealer I sue.

GatorJ 07-07-2006 04:37 PM

I keep forgetting to call Ford back. The whole "go through the dealer" thing really irritates me. I mean, if I were to sue....it isn't going to be the dealer I sue.

Who sold you the truck?

Tim K 07-08-2006 12:21 PM

Who sold you the truck?

Who built it?
Who advertised the features?
Who printed the brochures and sticker?
Who gave all the incorrect information to the dealer?

GatorJ 07-09-2006 03:36 AM

1) Visteon built the head unit.
2) What and whose advertising did you rely on?
3) To the extent there is literature describing features, one should look for the "specifications subject to change without notice" language.
4) That would allow for the dealer to perhaps have a third party claim against Ford, but the literature I quoted above advises a dealer to go to a dealer only web site to get the latest specifications. Did your selling dealer do that?

Also, with the adaptor mentioned above, it does play MP3s.

The claim would be against the salesman who made the statement about the unit's capability and his employer, the dealer.

Tim K 07-09-2006 09:55 AM

1) Visteon built the head unit.
2) What and whose advertising did you rely on?
3) To the extent there is literature describing features, one should look for the "specifications subject to change without notice" language.
4) That would allow for the dealer to perhaps have a third party claim against Ford, but the literature I quoted above advises a dealer to go to a dealer only web site to get the latest specifications. Did your selling dealer do that?

Also, with the adaptor mentioned above, it does play MP3s.

The claim would be against the salesman who made the statement about the unit's capability and his employer, the dealer.

2. the ford website, ford brochure, and the window sticker stuck on my vehicle.
3. there was no disclaimer on the window sticker.

as i said before about adapters, that is total bs. i'm sure i could buy a kit that makes my vehicle amphibious but that doesn't make it boat-ready.

snax 07-09-2006 11:00 AM

Nice quote Tim. It reminds me of Tommy Boy. (Paraphrase: A piece of crap in a box marked guaranteed is really just a guaranteed piece of crap.)

I'm a little miffed at this whole thing myself. When we purchased it, we made the assumption that given the NAV system was the highest system option available, it would support the most features, i.e., MP3 and Satellite ready. Unfortunately the salesperson who is a personal friend knew no different either, leaving us to look like real asses to go back on him for that.

Ultimately, any resolution offered by either Ford or the dealer is going to be limited to supplying one of the following:

1) A cash refund. This seems the least likely option IMO.
2) A software upgrade. Most likely IF possible. (I'm betting it's not that simple.)
3) Replacement of the NAV system with the Audiophile deck. (Also unlikely.)
4) Complementary MP3/Satellite adaptor. (Most likely IMO, due to lowest cost and hassle.)

While option 4 still won't make it capable of playing MP3 or Satellite independently, at least it will then be truly "capable" of playing these outside sources as well as anything else one might choose to hook up to that input.

Frankly, as much as I like my MP3 CDs, we will likely be going the portable MP3 player route at some point in the near future anyway. While it is extra expense, a 60GB iPod or similar will allow us complete portability of nearly our entire collection. Even in the more compact form of MP3 CD-Rs, that is still a crapload of CDs to carry around. So I strongly favor option 4.

GatorJ 07-09-2006 05:41 PM

2. the ford website, ford brochure, and the window sticker stuck on my vehicle.
3. there was no disclaimer on the window sticker.

as i said before about adapters, that is total bs. i'm sure i could buy a kit that makes my v[ehicle amphibious but that doesn't make it boat-ready.

Nice argument except that Sirius ready requires the purchase of a tuner and antenna.

I do wish you luck with this. I had thoroughly researched this before my purchase and was well aware of the Nav system's limitations. I can appreciate someone being upset if they didn't know.

TeeSter 07-09-2006 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by snax
Ultimately, any resolution offered by either Ford or the dealer is going to be limited to supplying one of the following:

1) A cash refund. This seems the least likely option IMO.
2) A software upgrade. Most likely IF possible. (I'm betting it's not that simple.)
3) Replacement of the NAV system with the Audiophile deck. (Also unlikely.)
4) Complementary MP3/Satellite adaptor. (Most likely IMO, due to lowest cost and hassle.)

5) Abosolutely nothing is done until attourneys convince some schmuck they can make him/her a bundle with a class action lawsuit. Ford settles out of court with the lawyers. The lawyers walk away with $4million in legal fees, the customers get a McDonalds Gift Certificate for a free medium shake (if purchased with a regular menu item).

GatorJ 07-10-2006 04:15 AM

We pretty much all are.... and probably in 2 years or so we'll all get a letter from some class action suit that someone filed and an offer for a free "ice cream cone" while the lawyers get $40,000,000 in fees.

Other than that.... I'm not sure we'll get much relief. I've rarely heard of any company volunteering something for that kind of issue until they get sued.

5) Abosolutely nothing is done until attourneys convince some schmuck they can make him/her a bundle with a class action lawsuit. Ford settles out of court with the lawyers. The lawyers walk away with $4million in legal fees, the customers get a McDonalds Gift Certificate for a free medium shake (if purchased with a regular menu item).

Wow, you just dropped the fees from $40,000,000 down to $4,000,000. Not sure you can even get an attorney out of bed for that. You are definitely in dessert mode....ice cream cones and milk shakes.

TeeSter 07-10-2006 04:49 AM

I was feeling generous I guess..... I'd forgotten the earlier post :)

Tim K 07-10-2006 07:08 AM

Nice argument except that Sirius ready requires the purchase of a tuner and antenna.

I do wish you luck with this. I had thoroughly researched this before my purchase and was well aware of the Nav system's limitations. I can appreciate someone being upset if they didn't know.

Yes, but the Sirius Ready units come with an input in the back of the radio specifically for a satellite tuner, have a button on the unit for SAT, and the headunit itself is able to display and control the satelite radio. Same goes for an MP3 capable unit....the CD player will accept and play mp3 encoded CD's with no adapters and allow the display and control of those CD's.

If my Mariner came with pontoon mounting brackets on the side, was pre-wired for a propeller motor in the rear, and had a button on the dash labelled "boat mode"....then I'd call it boat ready. Just because you can "turn it into something else" doesn't make it "ready" or "capable".

Tim K 07-10-2006 07:32 AM

Update:
I spoke with a rep at Ford today (800-392-3030) regarding the situation. His response to my claims was that I had to take it up with the Dealership as this was a "sales issue". He also basically denied any responsibility for this on Ford's behalf.

He claimed:
- Ford does not produce any advertising that offers any specifics about any vehicles. All advertising is produced by the Dealership.

-Ford does not produce the window stickers on the vehicles. They are printed by the dealership.

When asked about the brochures he admitted Ford made them. When asked where the information for the window stickers came from he responded "from the VIN number". When asked if the VIN# information was provided by Ford his response was "I don't know, probably". When asked who provided vehicle information to the dealerships he said "they have many sources of information". When asked if Ford provided information about their vehicles to the dealers his answer was "probably".

I said, "well then presumably Ford has some responsibility here."

His response: "Well, unfortunately I can't act on presumption."

GeekGal 07-10-2006 07:38 AM

Wow, that fellow you spoke to at Ford has a bright future in the legal profession. ;)

GatorJ 07-10-2006 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by GeekGal
Wow, that fellow you spoke to at Ford has a bright future in the legal profession. ;)

Not really, the answers weren't nearly clever enough.

GeekGal 07-10-2006 02:56 PM

Not really, the answers weren't nearly clever enough.

Hehe... If I recall correctly, you're in the legal profession, so I'll take your word for it. ;)

snax 07-10-2006 04:46 PM

Yup, I'd say he's better suited for the Bush administration . . ;)

Anyway, if a person would really be willing to call their FEH 'boat ready' for the options mentioned earlier, I've got a kit I could sell you. I'm not making any guarantees about seaworthiness, but it'll be at least part way there - which is apparently what Ford wants us to settle for on this. :P

Tim K 07-10-2006 04:54 PM

I'll call my sales manager this week and see what he has to say about this. I expect it to be something like "all options and features are subject to change".

Tim K 07-31-2006 06:10 AM

Not surprisingly, Ford is STILL promoting that the Nav radio is MP3 and Satellite ready.

2007 Mariner Hybrid ordering guide:
http://dealer.webmakerx.net/Images/S...er%20Guide.pdf

I left a message for the sales manager at my dealership today. I'll post the results of that call....like there will be any!

WaltPA 07-31-2006 07:19 AM

Not surprisingly, Ford is STILL promoting that the Nav radio is MP3 and Satellite ready.

2007 Mariner Hybrid ordering guide:
http://dealer.webmakerx.net/Images/S...er%20Guide.pdf

You are right. The 2007 MMH Ordering Guide mentions specifically that about the NAV radio. However, in contrast, the 2007 FEH Ordering Guide does not. I am sure, though, that Ford will officially state that the Ordering Guides are strictly between them and their dealers. That customers aren't suppose to have copies of them and therefore, Ford is not responsible to customers for any incorrect info in them.

BTW, are we talking about being able to play CD's with the songs in MP3 format instead of WAV format? Or are we talking about being able to plug into the NAV radio, an Ipod-like MP3 player?

Let me also mention that if one looks through all the accessory catalogs, it seems that the FEH/MMH with the NAV radio are just about the only radios that are not compatible with the Mobile Ease system. Mobile Ease is their Bluetooth cell phone handsfree system. I find that quite a disappointment.

It would be sure nice, if the NAV radio could be deleted off the Premium Package, and replaced with the much more capable Audiophile (320-watt) MP3 & Satellite-Ready, 6-Disc In-Dash radio.

There is always "Dear Bill" at WFord@Ford.com. :D

WaltPA 07-31-2006 07:26 AM

I left a message for the sales manager at my dealership today. I'll post the results of that call....like there will be any!

I guess the question I would ask is "Why does the Audiophile (320-watt) 6-Disc In-Dash radio seem to have more capabilities (MP3, Satellite, Mobile Ease) than the 'upgrade' Nav radio?"

:omg:

Tim K 07-31-2006 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by WaltPA
I am sure, though, that Ford will officially state that the Ordering Guides are strictly between them and their dealers. That customers aren't suppose to have copies of them and therefore, Ford is not responsible to customers for any incorrect info in them.

However, the rep at Ford I talked to stressed that Ford dealers are responsible for educating thier buyers.....but since documents like this provide that information to the dealers then Ford is ultimately responsible.

BTW, are we talking about being able to play CD's with the songs in MP3 format instead of WAV format? Or are we talking about being able to plug into the NAV radio, an Ipod-like MP3 player?

The CD player or changer is supposed to be capable of playing CD's loaded with mp3 files.

WaltPA 07-31-2006 11:39 AM

However, the rep at Ford I talked to stressed that Ford dealers are responsible for educating thier buyers.....but since documents like this provide that information to the dealers then Ford is ultimately responsible.

My point was, really, that possibly the dealer would need to champion the issue of bad info in the Buyers Guide with Ford, not a customer.

The CD player or changer is supposed to be capable of playing CD's loaded with mp3 files.

But, from reading here, neither can work with an MP3 CD?

Just as a hunch, the built-in CD player has a digital interface so that the NAV discs can be read. In contrast, the CD changer has an analog only interface. So, it might be more possible for the built-in CD player to work with MP3 disks since they are digital and need to be "processed" (decoded digitally).