Ford Escape Hybrid 4WD just spins on snow and ice

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 03:13 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Ford Escape Hybrid 4WD just spins on snow and ice

drove mine to work in st. louis with the ice and snow, It drove great.

Old 12-13-2010, 08:55 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The question is: "does the 35% PWM dutycycle result in FULL rear drive coupling, 50/50 torque distribution...?"

And no, if the rear drive is fully engaged, 35% "straight" ahead acceleration or 20% while turning, and the front wheels, ANY wheel, develops slippage, then TC activates immediately in order to most quickly, URGENTLY, restore stearing traction to the front wheels.

Last edited by wwest; 12-13-2010 at 09:11 AM.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:28 PM
Imported from Detroit

We got 6-8" of wet snow that was flash frozen overnight. Sidestreets and parking lot were solid ice, a perfect test for front wheel slippage.

From a dead stop, TC OFF, floored it and never seen more than 35%. The the increased rear wheel torque with front wheel slippage for a dead stop is pure BS.

On the other hand, streets were tracked with bands of ice. At a constant speed showing zero rear wheel torque, try to change lanes, crossing over the bands of ice caused the SG-II to show rear wheel torque but nothing over 15% that I seen.

Old 12-13-2010, 03:40 PM

Again, does 35% only apply to the PWM duty-cycle, or does it truly reflect the level of torque applied to the rear driveline..?

I find it hard to understand why only 35% torque would be used when 50% is clearly possible.

What was the effect with TC on....??

Instant dethrottling upon wheelspin/slip...??

Old 12-13-2010, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by wptski
We got 6-8" of wet snow that was flash frozen overnight. Sidestreets and parking lot were solid ice, a perfect test for front wheel slippage.

From a dead stop, TC OFF, floored it and never seen more than 35%. The the increased rear wheel torque with front wheel slippage for a dead stop is pure BS.

On the other hand, streets were tracked with bands of ice. At a constant speed showing zero rear wheel torque, try to change lanes, crossing over the bands of ice caused the SG-II to show rear wheel torque but nothing over 15% that I seen.
Just changing lanes would not require, typically, very much lateral traction. So under those circumstances removing only 15% of "driving" traction from the front might be about right. Did you try driving in a tight circle under slightly more than sensible acceleration..??

Last edited by wwest; 12-13-2010 at 03:47 PM.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:14 PM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by wwest
Just changing lanes would not require, typically, very much lateral traction. So under those circumstances removing only 15% of "driving" traction from the front might be about right. [B]Did you try driving in a tight circle under slightly more than sensible acceleration..??[?B]
No I didn't but what do expect from that? The Ford function test is a tight turn at <5mph and >20% is normal on dry pavement.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:53 AM

I would expect that as lateral forces build up, tighter turning and/or increasing acceleration, the rear coupling PWM dutycycle would increase incrementally until reaching the factory default limit.

Old 12-14-2010, 05:48 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I was in Minneapolis this weekend with 17" of snow. Got stuck in a mall parking lot for about a minute, but rocked it out. I think my biggest problem with snow is the lack of ground clearance and street tires with 32k miles on them.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:57 PM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by colchiro
I was in Minneapolis this weekend with 17" of snow. Got stuck in a mall parking lot for about a minute, but rocked it out. I think my biggest problem with snow is the lack of ground clearance and street tires with 32k miles on them.
Did you turn the TC OFF? That helps at times to spin your way out. I think that's in the manual also.

Old 12-15-2010, 08:16 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wptski
Did you turn the TC OFF? That helps at times to spin your way out. I think that's in the manual also.
Nope, if I knew that it's been long forgotten. I just backed up as far as I could, then pulled forward. Didn't spin the tires until I was already moving and could see the end in sight.

Quick Reply: Ford Escape Hybrid 4WD just spins on snow and ice

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands