Ford Escape Hybrid Owner Complaints

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 09:58 AM
Enthusiast
Question Re: Ford Escape Hybrid Owner Complaints

I have a new (<2000 miles) Mercury Mariner Hybrid and I like it a lot so far (28+mpg). However, last night and this morning I noticed for the first time a squeaking noise that seemed to vary based on speed but only when turning left. I searched the forums for this but only saw the emergency brake squeaking issue. I haven't used the emergency brake at all, could it be causing the problem? It only seems to happen at low speeds although wind noise might prevent me from hearing it at higher speeds. It also only seems to happen after the car has been warmed up and driven for at least 20 minutes.

Anyone else with this problem?

Thanks,

Mike

Old 03-30-2006, 10:38 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Ford Escape Hybrid Owner Complaints

Mike, there is a TSB for your problem, it's the front weatherstrip. Go to the dealer they will replace it for you.

Old 03-30-2006, 01:52 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nightracerx
Mike, there is a TSB for your problem, it's the front weatherstrip. Go to the dealer they will replace it for you.
Hey nightracerx, where are you finding the TSBs?

Old 03-30-2006, 03:02 PM
Enthusiast

I got a few friends work for Ford, Motorcraft, and Mazda. So they gave me the information.

Old 03-30-2006, 03:19 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sdctcher
Thanks Stevo -
I offer the following technical info on both the Accelerator and Brake Control.

Acceleration Control
The engine management system electronically operates the throttle of the engine in response to throttle pedal movements initiated by the driver. In the event of a system failure, the engine management system provides a "limp home" mode which allows the car to be driven with limited performance.

Brake System — Escape Hybrid
The brake system has the following components:

fixed position foot pedal
front-to-rear split hydraulic system
front disc brakes utilizing a single piston floating brake caliper
rear disc brakes utilizing a single piston floating brake caliper
mechanical parking brake system utilizing a drum-in-hat within the rear disc brakes
4-wheel anti-lock brake system (4WABS).

Regenerative Braking System
Instead of just using the brakes to stop the vehicle, the electric motor that drives the hybrid electric vehicle can also slow the vehicle. In this mode, the electric motor acts as a generator and charges the batteries while the vehicle is slowing down. To achieve this, the anti-lock brake system (ABS) module calculates the amount of speed reduction requested by the driver through the accelerator pedal position and brake pedal travel sensor. The ABS module measures the inertia of the vehicle through the longitudinal accelerometer and determines if the required deceleration has been achieved. During deceleration/braking, the powertrain control module (PCM) partially engages the electronically controlled continuously variable transmission (eCVT) to be turned by the vehicle's wheels and slow it down. The ABS module requests the powertrain more or less dependant upon the driver request through the pedals. If the desired deceleration is not achieved through regenerative braking, the ABS module applies the friction brake pads to accommodate the driver request. The driver does not, under normal circumstances, have direct control over the amount of brake pressure that is applied to the rotors. In the event that the ABS module detects a fault which requires the deactivation of this system, the ABS module relinquishes control of braking and the driver will still have the use of manual hydraulic brakes.

Since the regenerative braking uses the electric motor to slow the vehicle's front wheels, front brake pad wear is reduced. The rear brake pads, because of the regenerative braking, wear at approximately twice the rate of the front brake pads.

Principles of Operation

The hydraulic control unit (HCU) controls the brake assist function as well as the anti-lock functions. The HCU contains an accumulator, driven by an electric motor, to supply pressurized brake fluid to the disc brake calipers during brake application. The electric motor begins to build pressure in the accumulator whenever the vehicle doors are opened or when the dome light is activated. The electric motor also charges the accumulator and initiates the brake system self-test whenever the ignition switch is turned to the ON position or the brake pedal is applied. During this time, 12 mm (0.47 in) of brake fluid is drawn from the master cylinder reservoir into the accumulator. The accumulator discharges 4 minutes after the ignition switch is turned to the OFF position and the vehicle dome light turns off, returning the brake fluid used during the charging of the accumulator to the master cylinder reservoir.

The regenerative braking system recovers the vehicle kinetic energy during deceleration to replace the high voltage traction battery energy. A certain level of regenerative braking is commanded by releasing the accelerator pedal. Further regenerative braking is commanded by applying the brake pedal. Whenever the ABS is activated, the affects of regenerative braking are reduced until the ABS event is over and the accelerator is applied.

The series of regenerative braking feature provides isolation of the driver brake demand from the friction brakes in order to provide a portion of the braking through negative torque request to the electric drive motor. In addition, this torque request results in a change in the flow of energy. The energy flows into, rather than out of, the battery. The motor's change from drive motor to generator is referred to as regeneration.

Regenerative braking logic is as follows:

NOTE: The ABS module is part of the HCU. Do not separate the ABS module from the HCU for any reason.

The ABS module determines the total torque request from accelerator pedal and brake pedal input.
The ABS module compares the drivers total request for a reduction of speed to the powertrain control module's (PCM) ability to slow the vehicle or negative "torque limit."
The ABS module requests the reduction in speed up to the torque limit from the PCM, via a torque modification request message sent to the PCM.
The ABS module applies the friction brakes beyond the torque limit.
Mike:

I've been reviewing the history. Deep inside this old posting you made an offhand comment about a longitudinal accelerometer. The output of that would be wonderfully useful. Do you (or anyone) know of a way to tapping into that information? (Scangauge probably could, but doesn't.)

Hal

Old 04-08-2006, 11:25 PM
Lexus fan

Does the 2006 FEH have the firmware upgrade over the 2005 FEH that has corrected any EV limits?

I'm looking at buying a FEH next month and was curious.

Old 04-17-2006, 05:48 AM
Active Enthusiast

This may not be a huge deal, but I was annoyed to find that my right foot had worn all the covering off the carpet under the gas pedal after only 15K miles of mostly highway driving. After many years of Subaru driving I have never had this happen. Cost cutting of this sort reinforces the notion that American car makers will cut any corner to come up with a car that is less of a value than what the foreign makers produce (excepting the Italians and French - I had many happy hours squeezed under my Fiat Spyder fixing things). At least I am getting around 30gph

Old 04-17-2006, 07:30 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Around 8 years of ownership in my 1992 Toyota Corolla, the same thing had happened but in all driver/passenger areas. The carpeted floor mats were also worn incredibly. I bought rubber floor mats for the Corolla and they keep it cleaner and easier to clean.

The moment I got the '06 FEH, I bought Husky floor mats and a cargo area liner to keep the factory-fresh carpet that way, and not have to worry about the flimsy floorcovering they use these days.

Old 04-22-2006, 10:05 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default antenna?

At the top of the windshield in the 2006 FEH (and probably the earlier models, though I haven't checked) there is a kind of speckled pattern that looks like a peculiar antenna, or a sunshield, or a strange de-icer...or an engraving by Albrecht Durer. Am I the only one who doesn't know what it is? It extends the full length of the windshield.

Hal Lewis

Old 04-22-2006, 10:26 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default average fuel economy

The fuel economy display with the green bars shows an "average fuel economy," but I can't find anywhere in the literature anything that tells me what average it is. 15 minutes? Three hours? Two microseconds? Life of the car? Since last reset? The manual gives the same treatment to the display in the message center. Do they really not know that the word "average" doesn't mean anything unless you specify what it is you are averaging over? Or is this another thing they are keeping secret from owners?

Hal

Quick Reply: Ford Escape Hybrid Owner Complaints

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands