Ford to Recall 6,000 Escape Hybrid SUVs

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 07:08 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Ford to Recall 6,000 Escape Hybrid SUVs

It is just the 2WD Escapes. I saw the printout. I don't believe its all of them... just certain date codes.

Old 10-23-2006, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by TeeSter
It is just the 2WD Escapes. I saw the printout. I don't believe its all of them... just certain date codes.
Understood. Well, then just a heads up to the 2006 FEH 2WD/FWD's that the recall data is showing up on the My Ford website now. It wasn't when I checked about a month ago. If you don't see a recall listed for your vehicle, all likelihood is that your specific FEH is not under this recall. I assume those of us whose vehicles are under the recall will also get something via snailmail regarding it, but I have yet to receive anything, fwiw.

Old 10-24-2006, 03:38 PM
Enthusiast

I had my recall for my 2006 FWD FEH come up on the My Ford website Saturday the 21th. I used the local Ford dealer website to set my appointment for today (Oct 24th). I took the car in and had to leave it b/c the hybrid tech was "working on a tear down" (I didn't ask what tear down b/c I didn't want to know.) Anyway, I picked it up about 2PM and it was OK! My FEH had a March 2006 build date, but the work invoice said "Inspected label date 022406 R&R intermediate axle and inspect number has a 3 and 5 no further repair needed." Soooooo I'm guessing here that just because you fall into the date range of the build you might not get the "bad" part.

Don't you just hate it when you take your baby in with a GOOD FE number and get it back with a lousy FE?

Last edited by CanToo; 10-24-2006 at 03:43 PM.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:47 PM

My recall service appointment is scheduled for October 30th since I'm swamped this week. I'll post updates after my service appointment. They did say it would take about half a day... I didn't ask if that was the amount of time replacement would involve, if my vehicle needed it, or just the amount of time they need due to volume of vehicles being serviced.

Old 10-24-2006, 04:03 PM
Enthusiast

Shannon

NO replacement was scheduled today. They were looking to see if they had to ORDER the part. I don't think this would be a quick job if they actually have to replace an axle. I might be wrong but.........

Old 10-24-2006, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by CanToo
Shannon

NO replacement was scheduled today. They were looking to see if they had to ORDER the part. I don't think this would be a quick job if they actually have to replace an axle. I might be wrong but.........
Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. Hopefully, I'll get the good news that my baby's not in the "bad lot" either. I miss her when she's not in my driveway, garage or parking space!

Old 10-24-2006, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by CanToo
the work invoice said "Inspected label date 022406 R&R intermediate axle and inspect number has a 3 and 5 no further repair needed."

Don't you just hate it when you take your baby in with a GOOD FE number and get it back with a lousy FE?
So it sounds like they have to remove the axle just to look at the date code on it. To get to the axle they must have to do some serious front end disassembly. Did they mention anything on there about a front-end alignment?

You really have to wonder how they could trash your mileage by driving it from the lot to the garage and back to the lot. Probably took it for a road test. I got an Explorer back from service once wth 30 miles more on it than when I left it. I was not happy....

Old 10-24-2006, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by nitramjr
You really have to wonder how they could trash your mileage by driving it from the lot to the garage and back to the lot. Probably took it for a road test. I got an Explorer back from service once wth 30 miles more on it than when I left it. I was not happy....
Service techs and car wash attendants are notorious, at least around here, for running the A/C full blast no matter what time of year and no matter how long they actually need to be inside the vehicle. Even my wonderful guys at the Ford dealership had my A/C blasting on Max. A/C when they pulled my vehicle up after repairing my last tire puncture. The look on my face must've been priceless (it wasn't that hot a day, not for Texas anyway) because they both apologized, "I'm sorry, ma'am, we used your A/C." I didn't hassle them, though; when I take my FEH in for a car wash, it usually comes back with the A/C on max. as well, and it sits that way for far longer (while they vacuum the interior, while others dry the exterior, and even while it gets tire dressing and whatnot.) Ah well... What's funny is my brother says when he's gotten his Ford Mustang back from service techs, all the accessories are off, including A/C. Maybe folks *like* hearing the Mustang engine, and with hybrids need some reassuring sounds of life, so they throw the A/C to max?

Old 10-25-2006, 04:11 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nitramjr
To get to the axle they must have to do some serious front end disassembly. Did they mention anything on there about a front-end alignment?
Removing and reinstalling the halfshaft is actually surprisingly easy and the front end alignment is not affected.

Last edited by Thegreatescape; 10-25-2006 at 04:13 AM.
Old 10-25-2006, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by Thegreatescape
Removing and reinstalling the halfshaft is actually surprisingly easy and the front end alignment is not affected.
That's good to know. The reason I was concerned is that I brought my Explorer in for service once and they found a front end problem that was under warranty. They told me the front-end alignment wasn't and wanted me to pay.

I'm glad this is easier.

Are you a Ford tech by chance?

Quick Reply: Ford to Recall 6,000 Escape Hybrid SUVs

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands