Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Ford Escape Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/)
-   -   Full Size Spare on FEH (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/full-size-spare-feh-6848/)

rengas 03-03-2007 09:40 PM

Re: Full Size Spare on FEH

If anyone is looking for a Wheel to replace the donut spare, I have 3 listed on Ebay for $85ea. The listing number is 120093634458

Steve

econoline 03-08-2007 09:10 AM

I got a spare rim from eBay, and my plan is to put an inexpensive new (or used) tire on it of the correct size to match the FEH tires. This will be a full size spare only, and will not go into rotation (no TPS).

Is there anything I'm missing with this plan? Since I'm buying a tire anyway, would it make sense to get another Eco Plus just to have one readily available should one of the others be damaged beyond repair?

GaryG 03-08-2007 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by econoline (Post 114981)
I got a spare rim from eBay, and my plan is to put an inexpensive new (or used) tire on it of the correct size to match the FEH tires. This will be a full size spare only, and will not go into rotation (no TPS).

Is there anything I'm missing with this plan? Since I'm buying a tire anyway, would it make sense to get another Eco Plus just to have one readily available should one of the others be damaged beyond repair?

It would be a better plan to get the Eco Plus since you have the original rim IMO. I would mount the new eco plus on the rim that has the worst older eco plus tire to keep your TPS working right. Put the older eco plus on the ebay rim and mount it in the spare location. If you get a damaged tire, replace it with the full size spare, and put the donut back on till you get a new eco plus replacement. At this point, you can decide which tires you want on the FEH and which one you want as a spare. This is what I have done. You don't have to rotate the spare, but you may want to rotate the tires to match the wear of the others. Putting a bastard tire (new or not) with your matching set (size, compound etc.) is not safe and is throwing good money after bad later IMO. If your going to do something, do it right in the first time!

GaryG

Redfire FEH 04-16-2007 07:05 PM

Has anyone taken a picture of the full size spare tire installed? Does it hang below the bumper?

GaryG 04-16-2007 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Redfire FEH (Post 121300)
Has anyone taken a picture of the full size spare tire installed? Does it hang below the bumper?

You can't even see it if your not looking for it from a distance low to the ground. It fits find and no one will know it's there but you.

GaryG

Redfire FEH 04-17-2007 06:49 AM

Thanks for the quick answer.

pquig 04-19-2007 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by econoline (Post 113998)
What's the actual difference in weight between the fullsize and compact spares?

When I weighed the donut last summer I got 33 lbs on my analog scale. The full-sized spare weighed 50 lbs (stock rim, Eco-Plus tire and TPS).

Pat

econoline 04-19-2007 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by pquig (Post 121751)
When I weighed the donut last summer I got 33 lbs on my analog scale. The full-sized spare weighed 50 lbs (stock rim, Eco-Plus tire and TPS).

Pat

Thanks Pat. Is the stock rim an alloy rim or steel rim?

pquig 04-20-2007 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by econoline (Post 121753)
Thanks Pat. Is the stock rim an alloy rim or steel rim?

It's an aluminum alloy.

Pat