Info on the '09 Escape Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 06:24 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Info on the '09 Escape Hybrid

Originally Posted by Billyk
[/i]

It would be cost effective for the Hybrid Escape and Fusion vehicles to share the exact same hybrid battery pack and external steel case.
It would be cost effective, but pretty unlikely. You'd think most components between cars would be similiar to save money, but in reality most of them are custom to that particular model, other than parts of the drive train. The battery would be drive train I suppose, but since it has to fit in a cubbyhole in the body, I'd bet its different between models.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:17 AM
Active Enthusiast

The Ford Fusion, being smaller, lighter, and having less wind resistance, would not require as large a battery as the FEH/MMH. And space constraints on the Fusion might also be a factor. I'm sure all these things were considered. But I can't see this smaller battery pack for the Fusion being introduced into the 2009 FEH/MMH. I don't think it would be large enough. Even if you extended the SoC range to 35%-65%, initial current demand to get the beast rolling would be less with less battery voltage. Time will tell.

It's interesting why the 275V Fusion battery can be cooled sufficiently by forced air fans only vs. the FEH air conditioner system? I assume this is attributed to the smaller battery (fewer cells produce less heat).

Old 02-18-2008, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by KenE

It's interesting why the 275V Fusion battery can be cooled sufficiently by forced air fans only vs. the FEH air conditioner system? I assume this is attributed to the smaller battery (fewer cells produce less heat).

If I am not mistaken, the Prius hybrid battery is air cooled. The SOC on Prius runs 40 to 80%!

Old 02-18-2008, 08:52 AM

Maybe Ford decided they were too conservative with the operating temperature range too???

Also, if the battery pack is in the passenger compartment, I would guess that most drivers would put the A/C 'on' when it is very hot outside, and the battery pack would "enjoy" that cooler air too, without a need for their own freon lines. Just put a little flapper/door to switch the fan from using outside air to using inside air.

Just thinking out loud here....

Old 02-18-2008, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Billyk
Stepping up voltage allows the powertrain to produce a given output using less current, which reduces resistance losses and increases efficiency. It also allows the manufacturer to use a smaller, lighter battery: the 275V, 5.5Ah, 27 kW peak power NiMH battery pack used in the new Fusion/Milan hybrids features improved cell chemistry, and is more compact, for example, than the 2005-2008 Escape hybrid’s 330V battery pack.
One of the most important attributes of VVC, according to Markaby, is “reducing the cost of the battery.Previous Escape and Mariner hybrids used a stand-alone air conditioning loop to cool the battery pack during peak operating temperatures: the new powertrain uses only a forced-air ventilation system.

I'm assuming this means the size of the hybrid battery steel case is smaller than the current verison. Does this mean the hybrid vehicle will obtain a small cargo space below the floor level? A floor hook(s) above the small cargo space? IF the current hybrid battery steel case is maintained would this mean there is "space inside" to stuff a few more battery cells?

The forced-air ventilation system--is this similar to what the Prius uses?
VVC

Actually the higher voltage is an attempt, undoubtedly a successful one, to keep "ELI the ICE man" out of the equation as much as possible. The AC motor load is primarily inductive, certainly so at the initial application of voltage. Inductance provides a STRONG "resistance" (more correctly referred to a IMPEDANCE) to current flow and you can more quickly overcome that resistance with higher voltages. Some systems, facing this very problem, use an inordinately HIGH voltage initially and then lower the voltage level as/once the desired level of current begins flowing.

The VARIABLE VOLTAGE aspect is unquestionably the result of the need to reduce the voltage applied to the AC motors once they begin moving, rotating, and impedance is no longer as much a factor. Obviously this also results in no significant net increase, and quite possibly a NET decrease, in AC motor power use over the previous models even with twice the voltage available.

So the net result is not only the potential for the use of more power, but a quicker ONSET of that power when needed.

So I rather doubt that the batteries will be getting any smaller or lighter except for a possible change in battery technology itself.

Last edited by wwest; 02-18-2008 at 10:35 AM.
Old 02-18-2008, 07:10 PM

This is from the leftlanenews at this link:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/ford-hyb...this-year.html

Because all five of the automaker's hybrid vehicles will share the same powertrain and battery pack, increased sales volume should help reduce costs associated with building the vehicles.

There it is--The Escape-Mariner-Fusion-Milan and what is the fifth?--Mazda Tribute.

I believe this answers the question about the size of the 2009 Hybrid Battery--it is going to be smaller.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:34 PM

Okay, I fail to see the connection.

What leads you to conclude the battery will be smaller..??

Old 02-18-2008, 10:31 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

2005 to 2008 battery is rated at 5.5 Ah @ 330v.

The 2009 battery is rated at 5.5 Ah @ 275v.

While I cannot yet put a tape measure on it....
It sounds smaller to me.... capacity wise anyhow.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:57 AM
Active Enthusiast

As soon as the 09's hit the showroom floors, there'll be a mad rush to the dealer to lift the aft carpet and 'take a peek' at the new battery!!!

Old 02-19-2008, 10:54 AM

As soon as the 09's hit the showroom floors, there'll be a mad rush to the dealer to lift the aft carpet and 'take a peek' at the new battery!!!
Do our batteries say "330v" on the case now ????

Quick Reply: Info on the '09 Escape Hybrid

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands