Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Ford Escape Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/)
-   -   Lock the roof rack? (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/lock-roof-rack-5234/)

dmgibbs 01-02-2006 08:55 AM

Lock the roof rack?

Does anyone know if there is a way to lock the roof rack to the roof?

I have a Yakimah ski rack for my FEH ... and the rack itself has reasonable locks, but they are kind of useless if the rack can be removed easily.

I'm not looking for something that will provide rock solid security ... but something that will slow someone down long enough that they will not bother trying to steal my skis because it would take too long.

Thanks!

david

ralph_dog 01-02-2006 09:25 AM

Re: Lock the roof rack?

Originally Posted by dmgibbs
Does anyone know if there is a way to lock the roof rack to the roof?

I have a Yakimah ski rack for my FEH ... and the rack itself has reasonable locks, but they are kind of useless if the rack can be removed easily.

I'm not looking for something that will provide rock solid security ... but something that will slow someone down long enough that they will not bother trying to steal my skis because it would take too long.

Thanks!

david

Hi David,
Being an ex avid skier myself, I used to dicth the stock roof racks and go with something aftermarket like Thule that has locks to secure it to the vehicle. Then I would use an enclosed locking ski box that attached to the rack.

Many different options, but all with a price tag. Of course I had a large old 1988 jeep grand wagoneer that got 10mpg so I wasn't worried about the air drag caused by the rack. ;) My work commute was only about 10 miles round trip at the time. But the weekend ski commute was about 400 miles..Yikes...those were the good old days before I trashed my leg at Cannon Mtn in NH.:angry:

Ralph.

randykato 01-02-2006 10:36 AM

Which Yakima system do you have? Don't the locks cover the mounting hardware?

dmgibbs 01-02-2006 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by randykato
Which Yakima system do you have? Don't the locks cover the mounting hardware?

I use a standard yakima rack system with the "Mighty Mounts". The Mighty Mounts wrap around the factory rack, and are what the standard Yakima rack connect to.

david

randykato 01-02-2006 03:17 PM

Ahh, the mighty mounts. I've seen those... pretty cool/convenient, but I think to have fully locking functionality you'd need to use the ones that mount/lock to the OEM track (which, of course, are more expensive and require use of Yakima crossbars).

Maybe you could replace the mounting bolts with something much harder to remove like a torx head bolt, or maybe safety wire the mounting bolt so it would require a thief to have a fairly specific type of tool to remove.

Good luck!