Master MP3/Wiring Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 10:35 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Master MP3/Wiring Thread

I've had my FRDW/PC-POD2 for a couple of weeks now and it works perfectly. It gets a little glitchy every now and then when skipping tracks, i.e. skipping to the track number displayed on the NAV system, not the next track on the playlist, and I get messages on the NAV system saying that the CDDJ is ejecting or that the bus timed out, but only when the iPod is not connected. Other than that, it works great and the sound quality is perfect--much better than the FM transmitter I was using from my old car.

Rather than use a vent clip or a cup holder, I made use of the power socket right below the vent. I combined an $8 cell phone holder and an old cell phone charger into an iPod holder in the perfect location.

Last edited by AntoineWG; 04-01-2007 at 10:40 PM.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:24 AM
Enthusiast

Hello, everyone. For my 2006 FEH w/ Nav and under pax seat 6 disk CD changer, I am considering the purchase of the PIE FRDW/PC-POD2. But my local audio dealer is insisting that even though the PIE is connected at the CD changer under the passenger seat, it will definitely strip the data and the car's hybrid motor function and gas mileage screens will not work. Can you guys please confirm for me that the FRDW/PC-POD2 charges the iPod and that all the car's computer/radio/navigation features do indeed work as intended?

I've read this thread and it seems like some glitches with FRDW/PC-POD2 are emerging... would you buy this interface again? Thank you. --wheeler

Old 04-20-2007, 11:36 AM
Active Enthusiast

Well if you are interested, I have an x3 that I would let go cheap and it didn't interfere with any of the data. Only reason that I am getting rid of it is because of installing a Kenwood DNX7100 Nav System with iPod integration...

Old 04-21-2007, 12:48 AM
Active Enthusiast

To answer your questions, the nav system, fuel mileage and hybrid displays work exactly as they should, it does indeed charge the iPod while it's plugged in and if I needed another one, I would buy it again.

If it's installed under the passenger seat and plugged into CD changer end of the cable, it will not interfere with the nav/fuel mileage/powertrain displays at all. Your dealer is partially right, though. The only way it will block the engine data is if it's installed incorrectly by plugging it directly into the back of the head unit, which is an easy enough mistake to make.

For me, the glitches are entirely tolerable. The CDDJ error messages only appear when my iPod is not plugged in, only appear occasionally and I'm usually paying more attention to the road than the nav screen. As for switching to the wrong track, I think the problem arose when I tried to use the shuffle feature on the head unit and it couldn't figure out how many tracks were in that playlist, so it assumed 99 tracks and started screwing up. If it tries to switch to a non-existant track, the iPod just goes back to the main menu. Again, not a big deal to me.

Old 04-21-2007, 08:23 AM
Enthusiast

Thank you, Mike and Antoine... followup, please... when you turn the car off and get out, does PIE FRDW/PC-POD2 stop the iPod's play and power down the iPod? And when you're using the Nav sysem enroute to a destination, and you're listening to iPod music, when using the PIE FRDW/PC-POD2, how do the voice prompts come through the music, does the iPod music fade down for the factory nav system's guidance voice prompts?

Same questions regarding the PIE X3: I imagine when you turn off the car, X3 does not stop the iPod's play or power down the iPod, right? And what about navigation voice prompts when listening to an X3 music source-- how do they come through the factory radio and does the X3 input fade down to give priority to the factory nav system's audio turn directions?

The main feature I'm trying to achieve is automatic iPod music to fade down for navigation voice prompts in the Ford Escape... If FRDW/PC-POD2 or X3 can do that, I'll settle for the factory nav for now...

but I vastly prefer the navigation of the Garmin Nüvi 360 (with Bluetooth cell phone integration) nav unit. I have the Nüvi + PIE auxiliary input setup in another vehicle... and the Nüvi does have an audio output jack and nav guidance voice prompts and cell phone conversations sound great through the factory radio but I don't think the Nüvi has an audio input jack... In terms of getting the Nüvi into the Ford Escape, I can see that the PIE X3 would give me an input for the iPod's music AND the Garmin Nüvi's audio but I guess I would have to manually switch among the inputs.

Am I missing anything here, guys? Do you see a good way to add the Garmin Nüvi, listen to iPod and have nav guidance voice prompts come through automatically in the background? I imagine the desire for superior navigation and better integrated iPod functionality is why some people are choosing to replace the entire head unit/ nav / cd changer. Thanks.

Old 04-21-2007, 08:10 PM
Active Enthusiast

When you shut down the radio, yes, it does pause the iPod. It won't turn it completely off, but it will shutdown like normal after a few minutes of sitting idle. This behaviour is actually the iPod's, not the interface. When you disconnect power while playing, it will pause, then time out and shut down.

As for the nav system prompts, I haven't used mine yet, but the nav system appears to be oblivious to what's actually plugged into it and it should work just like it's connected to the CD changer, regardless of whether you're using the FRDW/PC-POD2 or the X3.

Old 04-21-2007, 08:59 PM
Enthusiast

Okay, Antoine, thanks again-- you answered my question. In my other vehicle with iPod + PIE interface, that iPod is powered by an always on cigarette lighter plug-- so I had forgotten about how the iPod pauses if you disconnect power while playing-- I'll rewire that connection so it's ignition power only. And logically I imagine you are right: the nav unit expects a CD changer there, which it mutes during guidance voice prompts, so it shouldn't matter whether I use the FRDW/PC-POD2 or the X3. Cheers. :-)

Old 04-23-2007, 07:49 AM
Enthusiast

Why rewire anything? Having the constant drain on the battery as a hardwiring is not a solution, but asking for trouble IMHO. When you restart your FEH pushing the Play button isn't a burden, and if your ignition is off,keeping the key turned to acc. will keep your power on to listen w/out running the motor. I guess I missed your point on the rewiring thing, I have the PC-POD2, and it's a great hookup w/out alterations.

Old 04-23-2007, 09:39 PM
Enthusiast

Hi Ken, thanks for the input. Sorry if I was unclear; I was talking about a different car than this discussion-- I also have a Mustang convertible and I'm using a PIE interface in that car as well, and the iPod in the Mustang is powered by an always on cigarette lighter plug. I'm going to change that to ignition only 12 volts so I get automatic start and stop of iPod music. That's what I meant.

Thanks for the input everyone... I'm leaning towards the PC-POD2 interface for the Escape.

Old 04-29-2007, 06:10 PM
Enthusiast

ok i have a FEH 2006 w/ nav. I've been browsing the forums, and i think i have decided with the PC-POD2. However, although its nice to be able to choose the next song on the headunit, i also want to be able to use the ipod. From what i've been reading it sounds like you can't do that? Like choose a certain song on your ipod and play that one, not just playlists. is that possible?

also you can switch from radio to ipod easily right? or do you just have to stay with the ipod until you unplug the PC-POD2
or would it be better to just use the P.I.E. X3-FRD. just want a simple ipod to car connector, if i had a tape player id just that tape thing, but no tape player

Last edited by crazy15; 04-29-2007 at 06:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Master MP3/Wiring Thread

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands