Modifying the AC control on an Escape Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 02:40 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Modifying the AC control on an Escape Hybrid

Originally Posted by Tim K
I think I understand the concept, but to clarify.....this is really an override button for the computer's programming with regard to the input selector of the climate control. In other words, you can now turn the dial to DEFROST and blow air out of the upper vents without forcing the engine and compressor on? If you choose defrost with the AC button on GREEN, air will blow but no engine/no compressor. If you choose defrost with the AC button on RED, the ICE will run and the compressor will chill the air.
Yes, exactly. I can now turn on the AC an any position. And I can select either the Econ mode where the engine will shut off, or the Normal mode where the engine will remain on. I can also turn the vents to any position and choose to have no AC running.

Originally Posted by denverjay
Care to share with us how much time you put into it?
It's a bit hard to tell since I did the switch graphic last fall, but then moved. If I had to guess, it would probably be about 20 hrs. If I had to do it again, it would be more like 5.

Old 05-29-2007, 03:25 PM
Active Enthusiast

So how much for the KIT???

Old 05-29-2007, 04:27 PM
2008 Escape Hybrid Owner

Originally Posted by salsbr
My former vehicle was an Acura Integra, and although the windshield definitely cleared quicker with AC, I would keep it clear with normal vent. It worked fine for me.
Defrost without A/C works when the outside temp is low. Defrost without A/C is poor when the outside temp is high.

Old 05-29-2007, 06:16 PM
Duc
Stock Sucks

Dude you are a freakin genius! My HCH had a a/c button and I loved how when I was climbing a hill, passing, etc I could reach down and push it. I turn the **** on my FEH but it is no where near as convenient and (as you know) very limited as to where you can use a/c (either face or defrost).
Awesome job and I to would like info on a kit if you decide to build anymore.
Clif

Old 05-29-2007, 09:45 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hmmmm...

And all I did was add a small toggle switch inside the console glove box that opens the A/C compressor clutch relay circuit.

But bottom line it is ALWAYS best to rely on heated airflow FIRST and FOREMOST to remove fogging and/or heating the windshield to keep it well above dewpoint. The A/C is only reliable for this purpose provided the atmospheric dewpoint is well above 32F. The A/C can be of no assistance whatsoever as the OAT nears or declones below freezing.

Old 05-30-2007, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by wwest
The A/C is only reliable for this purpose provided the atmospheric dewpoint is well above 32F. The A/C can be of no assistance whatsoever as the OAT nears or declones below freezing.
I believe that is why the A/C is already automatically disabled, by design, when the outside air temp gets near freezing.

Old 05-30-2007, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by DavidH
Defrost without A/C is poor when the outside temp is high.
Exactly. The warm-moist-air condensing on the outside of the windshield, can be handled by the wipers. The warm-moist-air condensing on the inside of the windshield is a problem, and only gets worse by blowing even more warm-moist-air at it. One really needs the A/C to dry out the air first, before blowing it at the windshield.

Besides, when it is already hot and muggy inside the car, the last thing one wants, is more heat! So, one always puts the temp level/**** at its coldest setting.

Old 05-30-2007, 05:25 AM
2008 Escape Hybrid Owner

Originally Posted by WaltPA
Exactly. The warm-moist-air condensing on the outside of the windshield, can be handled by the wipers. The warm-moist-air condensing on the inside of the windshield is a problem, and only gets worse by blowing even more warm-moist-air at it. One really needs the A/C to dry out the air first, before blowing it at the windshield.

Besides, when it is already hot and muggy inside the car, the last thing one wants, is more heat! So, one always puts the temp level/**** at its coldest setting.
.....Psychrometrics!

Old 05-30-2007, 06:17 AM
Enthusiast

Excellant job!!! Beautifully documented!!! Thanks for your efforts!!!

Old 05-31-2007, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by wwest
Hmmmm...

And all I did was add a small toggle switch inside the console glove box that opens the A/C compressor clutch relay circuit.

That is what I did also.

~John

Quick Reply: Modifying the AC control on an Escape Hybrid

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands