NAV system Gripes

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 07:18 PM
Escape Hybrid Enthusiast
Default Re: NAV system Gripes

Originally Posted by bar10dah
Automotive electrical components would be affected by a lot more than cell phone towers and power lines. Our 2 megawatt radar antenna has caused quite a few air bag warning lamps to illuminate on the dash boards of many Land Rovers and Fords. Enough for FoMoCo to send a team down this way to find out why it was happening! Also, our antenna sweep has stalled two separate Yamaha R1 motorcycles that were at idle.

You can build in lots of shielding around a component to prevent RFI (radio frequency interference), but truth of the matter is there's always going to be something out there that will be powerful enough to bleed through.

As far as the navigation system goes, keep a record of where it keeps resetting. If you notice a pattern, look around and see what large pieces of electronics are nearby.

Or, perhaps the problem is within your vehicle?
Keith - That is exactly the point I was trying to make here back in post #24 (which refered to another post on another thread). It is probably what you might be around - not even see - that is putting out the RF. I know my problem is related to a when I am in a certain place, but doesn't always happen - probably signal is not going out at that point in time.
You are correct in saying that there is really no way to keep RFI totally out of a system - it is going to find a way. I pulled my NAV unit out and did the modification to get to the 'Points of Interest' while moving and the only shielded wire was the antenna wire - so that leaves a lot of holes . Probably would go crazy if I had it near my HAM ant with the amp turned up.

Old 01-08-2006, 12:02 PM
Active Enthusiast

Hi,

I have not read all the entries, so forgive me if I am repeating something...

The problem you describe would also be consistent with a loose power wire or component. The interruption causes the reboot. You mentioned that you pulled the nav to do the "Points of Interest" mod. Did the system exhibit the problem before the modification? If not, then maybe a connnection somewhere got loose in the process.

Good luck!

Roch

Old 01-08-2006, 04:56 PM
Early Adopter

That's true. However, many of us, who have not taken the radio out, have observed the same behavior. In my case it usually happens within the first minute or so after starting the car, and it doesn't matter what mode the display is in. Also the radio continues to play during the "reboot"...

I just figure they're running Windows :-)

Originally Posted by rcomeau
Hi,

The problem you describe would also be consistent with a loose power wire or component. The interruption causes the reboot. You mentioned that you pulled the nav to do the "Points of Interest" mod. Did the system exhibit the problem before the modification? If not, then maybe a connnection somewhere got loose in the process.

Good luck!

Roch

Old 01-08-2006, 07:26 PM
Escape Hybrid Enthusiast
Post Re: NAV system Gripes

Originally Posted by rcomeau
Hi,

Good luck!

Roch
Originally Posted by stevewa
That's true. However, many of us, who have not taken the radio out, have observed the same behavior. In my case it usually happens within the first minute or so after starting the car, and it doesn't matter what mode the display is in. Also the radio continues to play during the "reboot"...

I just figure they're running Windows :-)
Roch -

Yes the anomaly was happening before I pulled the unit and did the modification. I have had it to happen at one point and one point only. As stated it is at a railroad overpass - 4 lanes and smooth – and it isn’t related to a bump in the road (does it in both lanes and also if I am at approx the same spot going in the other direction. For that reason I have very little doubt about a loose connection. The loose connection was also my own first thought. I like to look at the most obvious/simplest first and work up. Same as “I can’t log on to my computer” – “checked the Caps Lock” type thinking.

Steve -
Mine is not a timing thing. Today it happened again at the same place but after I had run a couple of other errands that took me about 10 extra miles beforegetting to that spot where the screen reset. It probably would do the same thing no matter which screen was up - just happen I am almost have the FE screen on.
It is more of screen reset - blank/scrambled then the Hybrid screen then back to where it was.

Last edited by VietVet'67; 01-10-2006 at 07:18 AM.
Old 01-09-2006, 04:30 PM
Enthusiast

I have a 2006 FEH but did not get the NAV system with it. The salesperson did not think much of the NAV system as it was CD based and I was talked out of it. Not that it was that big a deal. In hindsite I am thinking that maybe I should have gotten it for the extra information it gives on how the battery is doing and my performance. Does the NAV system give you that much more helpful info to you? Can it be added as an after market add on?

Old 01-09-2006, 07:59 PM
Early Adopter

In order to get the energy flow you'd have to add the factory NAV system and the ACP/CAN bus interface (a box that's located behind the glovebox). The wiring harness is likely different too...