Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Ford Escape Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/)
-   -   Noisy Tires (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/noisy-tires-23968/)

IndyBob 03-01-2010 10:42 AM

Noisy Tires

I have the original Continental P235/70R 16 tires on my 2006 Escape. I have 56,000 miles on them. I have not been very good about having them rotated.

They have gotten to be very noisy with a rumbling or roaring sound. Over the past several thousand miles it has gotten louder.

I am assuming it is the tires even though they still have pretty good tread left on them. Is this a known problem with theses tires? Searching through the messages here is seems like Michelin Latitude Tours may be the way to go. I am looking for suggestions.

Thanks

GaryG 03-01-2010 02:53 PM

Re: Noisy Tires

Originally Posted by IndyBob (Post 219539)
I have the original Continental P235/70R 16 tires on my 2006 Escape. I have 56,000 miles on them. I have not been very good about having them rotated.

They have gotten to be very noisy with a rumbling or roaring sound. Over the past several thousand miles it has gotten louder.

I am assuming it is the tires even though they still have pretty good tread left on them. Is this a known problem with theses tires? Searching through the messages here is seems like Michelin Latitude Tours may be the way to go. I am looking for suggestions.

Thanks

The noise is normal on about every SUV tire I've own. As the miles increase, so does the noise. As a result, I end up changing the tires before they wear out. I have the Latitude Tours and would not buy anything else for my '05 or '09 FEH's. I have ~65,000 miles on the rear Eco-Plus tires of my '05 and can't wait to change them. The michelins on my '09 have ~20,000 miles and are quiet and look new.

GaryG

Brooke 03-02-2010 08:42 AM

Agree. Switched from the stock Contis to Latitude Tours at 35K because my wife refused to ride in the car. No noise. Hope it stays that way.

glennb 03-02-2010 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Brooke (Post 219593)
...........refused to ride in the car.

My point again........the FEH was designed more as a truck. Noise can be subjective so buy accordingly. That being said, it looks like there are better options than the stock Conti's.