Not ready for winter

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 06:40 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Not ready for winter

Originally Posted by WaltPA
I am more interested in the "improved" programming of the '08, and if it can be flashed into an '05-'07 ?

I wonder if Ford, or any car manufacturer for that matter, embraces the concept of software upgrades?
Since there will be major hardware differences for the '08 models, I'd guess they will be quite incompatible. The '05 and '06 are pretty much the same vehicle except the '06 has some more options available. I'd like to see a side-by-side comarison of the parts list. I doubt there are many (any?) differences. Even the 2007 models are probably the same.

The major differences I see in the '06 are in how regen is handled and how it goes into/out of EV. The '06 seems to have a better strategy for that. OR....something is wrong with my '05. I don't think that is the case since several others have stated that their '05 behaves quite similarly. I haven't heard anyone talking about an '06 behaving like this.

Maybe I will solve the "problem" by trading in my '05 for an '08 when they hit the streets...anyone want to buy a gently used '05. Good as new except for I took care of that pesky break-in thing.

Old 10-18-2006, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by nitramjr
Since there will be major hardware differences for the '08 models, I'd guess they will be quite incompatible.
Do we know that for sure yet?

I thought here (or was it somewhere else?), the consensus was that the info on CNN.COM, with different HP and kW ratings, was wrong.

Old 10-18-2006, 09:23 AM
Engineering Professor

All,

I'm sorry that my rant about my issue with Ford management honesty (not their products) started so much discussion. The issue was not quality, but their willingness to correct known flaws.

I have had several recalls on my Toyota Prius. They just indicate that company management is concerned with their reputation (and maybe my interest). Design and Manufacturing problems will occur in all products, especially ones as complicated as modern automobiles. I just want to have faith that the manufacturer will protect me from serious problems (especially ones that are hazardous to my family).

JeffD

Old 10-18-2006, 09:34 AM
Enthusiast

A revised strategy for the 2008 model year by no means implies there's a problem with the existing one. Without knowing the actual differences in the prior vs. the new strategy, it should simply be catagorized as progress unless someone can prove otherwise. I would hope that many aspects of any vehicle line gets upgraded year over year, but I'd never expect any manufacturer to upgrade my older vehicle (or any product for that matter) to every change they make.

If there's an obvious problem - well that's a different story. Of course that's what the warranty is for.

Old 10-18-2006, 09:39 AM
Engineering Professor

I am more interested in the "improved" programming of the '08, and if it can be flashed into an '05-'07 ?

I wonder if Ford, or any car manufacturer for that matter, embraces the concept of software upgrades?
Walt,

It appears that these manufacturers are going through a difficult learning process when it comes to firmware in programmable controllers. The earlier Prius models required the replacement of the ECU when bugs were discovered in them (the ROMs were not reprogrammable). This was (is) a very expensive repair (Owners were generally covered under warantee, but sometimes it took persistence). Some of the minor controllers in the current model (e.g. the Gas Gauge controller - terribly innacurate) still needs a full replacement (and doesn't fix this irritating, but not critical, problem). Major controllers (e.g. the ECU) can and have been reflashed several times since 2004 as required to fix bugs (3 recalls).

The most recent Prius recall was to replace a link in the steering assembly of several Toyota models (not just the Prius) that was in danger of cracking due to metal fatigue. So, as I said, problems do occur. Nobody is perfect.

JeffD

Old 10-18-2006, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by jdenenberg
The issue was not quality, but their willingness to correct known flaws.
Aren't the FWD Escape Hybrids in the middle of a recall right now, because Ford found a quality issue with the drive shafts (I think that is the part)? Isn't that stepping up and correcting known flaws?

Old 10-18-2006, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by jdenenberg
I have had several recalls on my Toyota Prius. They just indicate that company management is concerned with their reputation (and maybe my interest).
So, Toyota has a recall (or numerous recalls as the case may be) and they are being responsible and proactive. If Ford DOESN'T have a recall, they are in denial since obviously if they cared they would have recalled the car. Maybe, just maybe, the car is high quality and doesn't need to be recalled. Would you even consider that a possibility or are you just here to bash Ford and blow smoke about how great Toyota is? It's getting tedious, Prof.

Old 10-18-2006, 03:39 PM

Aren't the FWD Escape Hybrids in the middle of a recall right now, because Ford found a quality issue with the drive shafts (I think that is the part)? Isn't that stepping up and correcting known flaws?
No, no, no. The car is junk and should be scrapped. Only Totota recalls vehicles to be proactive. Ford recalls them because they are incapable of making a quality car.

From what I read here, the recall is because some 6000 '06 FEH may have a driveshaft that wasn't properly heat treated. No accidents or injuries if I remember correctly.

I've had mine for well over a year each (20 months/18k miles and 16 months/14k miles) and neither has been back to the dealer except when I got the free inspection sticker and when I picked up some oil filters. I'm satisfied with that performance so far. Well satisfied.

Old 10-18-2006, 03:41 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Hey Ray, do you own a ScanGauge?

I'd be really interested in knowing the engine water temperature setpoints for EV in the 06 vs. the 05.

For example, in the 2005, the ICE will NEVER shut down below 140'F coolent temperature, and must restart to warm up at 125'F.

If you get better EV in the 2006, maybe it allows driving with cooler water temps?
Even a degree or two would help.

( If you don't have a ScanGauge, you can use the MFD trick on the green screen to get temperature and compare... )

In city driving, even after an hour, I have trouble keeping the water above 140'F in winter... hence... about NOV. 1st I need to block the radiator. Seems to help give me EV ability ( but reduced ) down to 0'F.

-John

Old 10-18-2006, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by gpsman1
Hey Ray, do you own a ScanGauge?

I'd be really interested in knowing the engine water temperature setpoints for EV in the 06 vs. the 05.

For example, in the 2005, the ICE will NEVER shut down below 140'F coolent temperature, and must restart to warm up at 125'F.
I don't have the SG and never think of going into diagnostics until I am up and running. I have been thinking since I noticed the difference that water temp is the issue. I'll have to try the diag mode if I can ever remember.

Today coming home from work I was in bumper to bumper accident traffic and even though it was well over 60° the car would restart every couple minutes - no accessories on, no movement, and it kept cycling. Funny thing is, my tank average increased on the ride. It is aggravating more than anything.

Could you see me going to the dealer and saying something to the effect of "I'm getting 35-39 mpg lately, could you take a look and see what is wrong with it"? Nah, me either.

Quick Reply: Not ready for winter

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands