Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Ford Escape Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/)
-   -   Oil filter wrench (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/oil-filter-wrench-10119/)

DGH 09-23-2006 03:59 PM

Oil filter wrench

Greetings,

What is best for the Escape, cup or strap style?
I believe the cup size is 74mm, 14 flat, but I can't find one anywhere.

Thanks...Dan.

spud 09-23-2006 04:17 PM

Re: Oil filter wrench

Cup type.

Autozone has 'em. Brand is called 'OEM Industrial' PN-25401

DGH 09-23-2006 04:31 PM

Spud,

Thanks, got one on hold till Monday.

Dan.

glennb 09-28-2006 07:23 AM

Picked mine up at an AutoZone yesterday.
Brand: "OEM Industrial" OEM Company, Mineola, NY
Part No: 25401
Part Name: Oil Filter "B" Cap Wrench
Made In: China

nitramjr 09-28-2006 12:39 PM

All else fails, use your hand. When I did my first oil change on the 2005, I had already drained the pan when I discovered that none of my filter wrenches fit. I managed to get it off by hand although it wasn't easy. It can be done though.

I've found out that the first oil change is the worst as far as getting the filter canister off. I don't reuse the o-rings but for some reason the replacement o-rings don't hold it on as tight. Maybe because I lube them up for installation.

DGH 09-28-2006 09:28 PM

Thanks for the help, if the wrench won't cut it, I'll try the brute force method.

Dan.

glennb 09-29-2006 06:28 AM

I used a strap style wrench on my first change. It made me a little nervous to impart the strap forces on the plastic/composite material that Ford used on these oil filter housings. [I'd hate to see how an oil change mechanic in a hurry would react.]

Having the wrench with the exact hex will alleviate that worry. $4.99 plus tax at AutoZone

nitramjr 09-29-2006 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by glennb
IHaving the wrench with the exact hex will alleviate that worry. $4.99 plus tax at AutoZone

Picked mine up at an AutoZone yesterday.
Brand: "OEM Industrial" OEM Company, Mineola, NY
Part No: 25401
Part Name: Oil Filter "B" Cap Wrench
Made In: China
Any money I don't have to spend either at Autozone or supporting the Chinese economy is money well not spent. :D

Besides, I have two built-in, one size fits all oil filter wrenches. One left handed and the other right handed....