Power Steering Burned Out

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 11:08 AM
Rick - Las Vegas
Exclamation Re: Power Steering Burned Out

Hello there... I was so concerned about the smell of smoke in the car last Saturday, that I left the car (and its 350 volts of battery) out in front of the house instead of in the garage for the weekend. Just could not feel at ease with that potential disaster next to my bedroom!

Last edited by rcrescitelli; 10-05-2005 at 11:11 AM.
Old 10-05-2005, 04:58 PM
FEH Advocate
Default Re: Power Steering Burned Out

Originally Posted by rcrescitelli
I suppose you are right... Why in the world should I be upset about a brand new and expensive vehicle spending one week of its first month on the road in the shop for its second, and a very, major repair? I guess I am being "unfair" in wanting a brand new car to work correctly for at least a year...
rcrescitelli,
I did indicate you had reason to be upset, however I made a mistake in thinking the new Honda advertisement below your FORD acronym slam was in your signature. We have seen others come to this site and make only a couple posts cutting down hybrids, leave fake low mileage in database, and then never post again.

IMHO it is better to have a problem arise sooner than later, since the dealers are much more likely to go extra mile in customer service and even replace with new vehicle if it comes to that.

We are here to assist in any way we can if you are sincere.
Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Old 10-05-2005, 05:09 PM
Rick - Las Vegas

Status: They have gone as far as they can with the diagnostics. When the new part comes in on Friday they feel it will either work, or they will have a "new troubleshooting starting point." In either case, I am stilll not a very happy camper at this point in time. Glad that you realized that the sig block was not part of my message.

Old 10-06-2005, 08:08 AM

Rick, my FEH stayed outside also for awhile. I know just how you felt with the smell of smoke and you have every right to say here how it feels. It is something you will never forget and those who have not been there can't feel what it's like.

I have own some of the greatest cars ever built but none can compare to the FEH. It tops the list by far and keeps getting better as I pick up information here and drive it more. I waste gas just to get a chance to drive somewhere in it. I put 13,000 miles on it in 7 months and I'm disabled and can't work. Go figure...

Your ahead of everyone by buying a FEH first like us. It may have a few problems but so does the space shuttle. I think the FEH has the better record myself.

Some of the most knowledgeable people on the FEH have responded to your post and will help you if the dealer can't. Keep us posted.

Gary

Old 10-08-2005, 08:04 AM
Rick - Las Vegas

OK, Got the car back yesterday. They replaced the control module, and it seems to be working fine now. The cost would have been $798.95, had the car not been only a month old and under warranty. Have a great day all, and type to you again soon.

Old 11-05-2005, 05:33 PM
Enthusiast

Hope everything works out for ya. Do please keep posting updates as it will let us know how your dealings were with the dealership and their "Hybrid Certified" mechanics. Not every car can be perfect, and lemons do get sold by the law of numbers alone. Hopefully this will all get worked out for you sooner rather then later.

-Chris

Old 11-06-2005, 09:10 AM
Rick - Las Vegas
Thumbs up Re: Power Steering Burned Out

So far, no more problems with the car... Milage seems to be improving as well.

Old 03-20-2006, 07:42 PM
Enthusiast

Just got my new 2006 FEH. At 1076 miles (three or four days of driving), the service message "service power steering" came up. It had the yellow wrench with it, so Ford roadside said it was not a "serious" problem. No power steering during this event. The car sat overnight. Next morning, problem one, power steering OK. Later on in the day, same service message, then cleared. Did it about two more times that day. Went to a Ford dealer later that day (260 miles away from home), spent three hours there. Troubleshooting indicates a ground fault. Tested motor, found OK. Put all wires/plugs back together. Problem cleared. Dealer said that the module probably needs to be replaced. Now have about 2,275 miles on car. Problem has not come back.

I agree with the sentiment: spend $32,000 on a car, I do not expect a problem that soon.

Overall I love the car. However, at my current pace I will burn-out the bumper to bumper warranty in little over a year.

Old 03-20-2006, 07:55 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stanm
I agree with the sentiment: spend $32,000 on a car, I do not expect a problem that soon.

Overall I love the car. However, at my current pace I will burn-out the bumper to bumper warranty in little over a year.
I would rather have the problem appear on day 3 than a year later. Sounds like it was minor and they have it corrected.

I have a total of about 23,000 miles on my two and neither have them have had a visit to the dealer yet. The mileage keeps getting better and with gas prices spiking again, I have absolutely no regrets.

I wonder if the control module would be considered a hybrid specific component. If it is, the warranty is a lot longer than the 3/36 warranty. 10/150 for those of us in the so-called green states.

Old 03-21-2006, 07:08 AM
Rick - Las Vegas

Sorry that you have a problem with the steering. The module change did indeeed take care of my problem which was very similar to yours... just that my car could not make right turns without the power steering shutting down. I could turn left all day long with no problem, until I nudged a right turn on the wheel. At that point, complete assisted power steering failure would occur, clearing with each new engine startup.
I would urge you to insist an a module change before they can wiggle out of it on a technicality.
Take care, and good luck!